This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

New to this site and in my 70's, forgotten most of what I did. Something to do with computers with a company called Bunker Ramo in the late 60's, Heathkit, Pacific Bell and my own company - but getting too old to cut the mustard.

Work in and had my own TV shops in between other adventures,

Retired and lazy.

That about sums it up.

Ray

Comment

Hi all,

Gary from sunny Queensland, Australia.
      Stumbled across this site by accident, whilst looking for info on why my bowers and Wilkins zeppelin has died!!!
      Found some superb pics about it on here, so thought I would register and join the fun.

Cheers Gary.

Comment

Ciao tutti,
        Siv from Italy

Comment

Hi All,
          This is a pretty cool site for diyers. I have a AA in computer hardware and telecomm, but that was 15yrs ago. Technology has long passed me by. Where do I start a new thread?
          Last edited by ak9210; 05-30-2013, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Hello All, I found your site in search of info on a cheap small compressor wiring and found exactly what I needed awesome site!!
            I have chased bad caps on monitors and other sorted boards in the past as I came across a needed repair. I am not in the biz of repairing items for other folks just the stuff I run across. Thanks for having a well informed site that's clean and easy to browse. As a webmaster on a non related site I know the efforts it takes.

Comment

Just a quick intro from me
              I've been working in IT for the past twenty something years.
              My first machine was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum PLUS (the PLUS being the upgraded model 48K instead of 16K of main memory).

I've got a couple of non-functional Samsung 940b monitors on the back bench which I'd rather repair than toss out.
              I used to do discrete component repairs on SVGA monitors back in the mid '90s so I figure I'd have a poke around an LCD

Comment

Me to from indonesian, have several years for computer technician (PC) and now with learn about laptop mainboard especially of electronica basic, it's my challenge huhahaha...thanks for the BOSS of forum and all friends.. my respectful.

Comment

Hey all!

My name is Josh, I own a repair shop in Oklahoma. The majority of our business is phones, tablets, game systems, etc. but we've been getting a lot of other stuff in recently including a few TVs. I came across this forum and it was a huge help, so I joined in!

Comment

Another Newbie here

Comment

I thought I had already posted my new member intro, but in the interest of stopping the daily reminders in my email inbox, I'll do so again...

I am a 60 year old male living in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. I have always had an interest in electronics; am quite literate in terms of computers; and generally unafraid to take anything apart (although I must confess I'm not always adept at putting it back together). My son is a sound engineer for Sweetwater in Fort Wayne IN and he and I have been trading small electronics projects back and forth. The rub is that I'm not very good at putting together circuit boards and reading electronic schematics. It's my hope that I can use this board as a means of getting advice so I can improve my work...I'd like to do something more complicated and blow his socks off!

I'm not retired but as a workaholic, I haven't developed any hobbies other than reading. I just received my Masters degree in Humanities a few weeks ago and am a lifelong learner, so I think I can get fairly proficient if I put my mind to it and have some interesting projects.

I have a clock module on a Jenn-Air oven that has died and believe I may be able to fix it if I can figure out the right parts. I'll be using the board to check that out as well as soon as I get some time to fiddle with it.

Anyway...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Can I please be excused from requests for new member intros now?

Comment

Thought I'd introduce myself jdg04, 59 years old. Worked in high voltage pulsed power field for 20 years. Now just enjoy tinkering and learning more electronics. Found you looking for information on problems with Visio 42 inch LCD. You guys have a great site and very interesting reading. Am sure I'll be checking in quite a bit.

Comment

Hello everyone! I'm from Serbia, I registered for the reason to get in contact with one member, who is also from Serbia.
                          Reading his posts in the thread "LG Flatron 1718S" because I have the same problem.
                          I hope you do not mind my registration.
                          I greet all of you, and good luck in life to you all.
                          by joekiki!

Comment

My name is Ray
                            I live in Aiken, South Carolina.
                            I will be asking questions on a HP pl4260 .
                            It started flickering and now it won't come on.
                            I have the red power button but nuttin else.
                            I'll open her up Monday or Tuesday.
                            Any Ideas shoot them to me.

Thanks
                            Ray

Comment

Hi, I joined today as I found some good information on how to fix monitor power supply. One of my monitors just died and I wanted to dig deeper into it to bring it back to life again.

Comment

Hello everyone, I'm Daniel and I enjoy a challenge, that's why I believe I like to tinker (I want to see if I can do it, whatever "it" may be). I don't have any type of formal education in electronics, but I started taking things apart at about 4 or 5 years of age, just to see if I could figure out how they worked, and if I could put them back together. My friends have been bringing me their broken electronics for over 20 years, I have only one gurantee, "I guarantee I will take it apart."

I have a number of projects I am currently working on, but the one that brought me to this forum is my moms 26 inch, Insignia Flatpannel TV, not sure the model number off hand. One day it was working, the next it has sound but almost no picture. Well, there is no picture at all other than a line about 6 inches long in the middle of the screen that disappears and then reappears for a second or two up in the corner of the screen and then disapears again, leaving only audio. There doesn't appear to be any other light, the screen looks black.

I figured it is more than likely something I can replace and save my mother some money, every penny counts these days now that she is retired and living off her SSI.

So that's a quick introduction, I will be asking a lot of questions, please be patient with me, again, I have no formal education in electronics at all.

Dan

Comment

Hi, I have little to no electronics knowledge, but I still insist on trying to fix things. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I just take things apart.
                                  THanks for a great forum!

Comment

Hi Folks. Newby here from Houston Texas. Stumbled upon this site while looking for info about my broken Vizio 26" tv. At my old job, I had seen many bad caps on PC power supplies and motherboards. I personally had a couple of caps blow out on my mobo from ECS and Abit. Them bad caps followed me home from work!
                                    Anyway, I ordered the replacement caps from a place with lcd in the name. Replaced the bad ones and it's working again! And to think I almost threw away the TV!!!
                                    I will always try to repair or find a home for some of the good parts on anything from now on.
                                    Thanks in advance for all of the help! Bob

Comment

Hi everyone!

I'm a Bio-Medical Engineer and Electronics Engineer (ret) however, can't quit dabbling in electronics as I approach the "Golden Years" :-) I thought I was over it (the technical aspects) until my three of my eleven grandchildren (ages 4, 6 and 8) asked if I could make them a computer (from all the parts I had in my workshop). Well...a day and a half later I cranked out a decent system with windows XP (Couldn't find my Linux disks!) and now I have enough projects to keep me out of trouble for a long time.

I was searching for a forum with technical, practical and field expertise (I started out as a Bio-Medical Engineering Technician in the USN). After that, I completed degrees in Bio-Medical Engineering Technology and Electronics Engineering. I think this forum will be an asset. I have always maintained all of our vehicles, garden equipment, ATV's, boats, motorcycles, electronics and electro-mechanical devices/equipment throughout the years.

My wife and I live in Central Va in a log cabin where I was the lead carpenter, plumber, mason, electrician, roofer, etc. with the help of my brothers and a few subcontractors. It's energy efficient (all electric) and extremely easy to heat and cool (approx $125/mo) for a 3,800 sq ft dwelling. The next step (5/10 year plan) is to take it off the grid!
                                      Last edited by Ronster23117; 06-04-2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Just stopped by to say hi

Comment

Hello All,

I am a Network Engineer and Electronic Engineer located in Miami Florida. I am an avid contributor to other tech forums and found this one due to an unbelievable Dell screw-up on my E6420. I installed the Biometrics package and it actually created some unknown boot password in the BIOS... I am now locked out of my laptop but thankfully not the drive which now resides in a USB case on my other laptop.

James

Comment

Working...
                                          X