Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TOSHIBA 43u2963db - no picture, but sound (green/red flash)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOSHIBA 43u2963db - no picture, but sound (green/red flash)

I've an issue with a set I've just received from a family member hoping to repair (model: TOSHIBA 43u2963db). It's seems to be a Vestel unit on the inside :'( ... There's sound, but no picture. I've pulled the panel, tested power running to all components (even past the t-board, well 3v on test pin 4_0...). I've also *tried* giving it a reflash, although I doubt this is an issue I can't seem to get it to enter the correct mode (hold ok on remote and then plug in with the USB inserted containing the necessary files). The TV will create a folder on the pen drive "DVR" when it powers up, after passing the red/green blinking sequence.

Backlight powers up fine, sound even works (can hear the menu of a firestick when I plug it in to test) which suggests to me that the CPU/mainboard is operational, but for some reason isn't displaying? I was told that the TV was in semi-direct sunlight (during the current UK heatwave) and was turned on, but powered off around half hour later placing it into this state.

I've repaired laptops and small electronics in the past, but nothing seems to be obviously amiss here; I've visually inspected each board completely and tested the few fuses I could see (I'm not the best electrician in the slightest). I've yet to fully tear the unit down to the the LEDs... but it seems that this may be the cause of the issue? I can't find a service manual that could help with the testing, and am not sure whether the firmware files I got from here are new / suitable:

https://www.vestel-spares.co.uk/inde...mit=100&page=2

If anyone has any ideas of where to go next then let me know, it'd be much appreciated!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alex Charles; 07-27-2021, 09:30 AM.

Re: TOSHIBA 43u2963db - no picture, but sound (green/red flash)

green/red blinks meansoftware are corrupt.
    mainboard have to be replaced
    i have mainboard from tv with a broken screen.
    toshiba 43u2963dg on it
    peter from the netherlands

Comment

A picture from the board are in the attacchment
      Attached Files

Comment

oke,place the right software from vestel into the mainboard.
        it is very important that you place the right one in it.
        call vestel for the right version.
        succes with it.

Comment

Thanks Peter,
          I've found (quite a few actually) replacement mainboards here in the UK also, but will need to confirm the panel P/N first. Would you happen to know where this is located? I'll probably have the time to pull the set apart again on the weekend.

In the meantime I'll see if Vestel will provide the correct firmware files, it'll probably be worth the ordeal of dealing with customer service to know that I won't unintentionally brick a replacement mainboard... ��

Comment

Panel data here
            Attached Files

Comment

Perfect, thanks!
              Luckily I managed to find one mainboard with a matching model/board number, and importantly, the panel number also here in the UK. It won't arrive until sometime next week, but I'll be sure to update the thread with my finding, who knows, it may actually be useful to others.

Comment

So quick update regarding the unit; in short, it lives!!

The replacement mainboard didn't resolve the issue (worth a try for return postage), and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the panel. However, I'd learned of a trick to help diagnose LCD faults where you'd unplug half the t-con board to see if there's a short on one side over the other. You could then chase down the individual clock pin and mask the offender with tape as the image is drawn from both sides; the whole screen should work without a noticeable effect on the picture (in case anyone gets any use from this tidbit in future). As both halves refused to power up, the answer was right in front of me; the T-con board.

I ordered a replacement, and voila, she's alive again. It still makes the green/red blinking as it powers up, but I can only assume that's what the unit does regardless of whether it's broken or not (I had never used it myself before it breaking), as I have returned the original mainboard to the unit. Clearly, I need to brush up on my metering skills as I had initially thought that the fuse was not being tripped and power making its way across the connector that it was OK. What's even better is that since receiving the unit to repair, the family member has bought a replacement and has kindly donated it to me. Not bad for £30 in parts and my time, a fair price for a Vestel, am I right?

Anyway, now I have to find a new home for a 47" Baird plasma, which I rescued from the early 2000s from none other than a bad-capacitor...
                If any moderator wants to close the thread, then go ahead. Thanks again to everyone on here who helped me solve the problem
                Last edited by Alex Charles; 08-12-2021, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X