Samsung PN51F4500AFZX picture blank after 30-60 minute use, has sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN51F4500AFZX picture blank after 30-60 minute use, has sound

Samsung plasma will work from cold start for 30 to 60 minutes. Eventually the picture will go dark, but sound and remote will still work. If I unplug and plug back in it will continue to work for a few minutes then blank the screen.

I did take the back panel off to look at the caps. All seem fine. The main logic board shows a blinking green light every second when the TV is normal. Once the screen blanks and I try to power cycle the TV the main board blinks once every 5 seconds.

Other oddities with this TV. The panel gets very warm on the back left side when in use. This is the location of the Ymain board. Think the Ymain board is overheating. I have two other Samsung's of the same era which do not get warm. Also noticed once the remote stopped responding (the ir receiver I suspect) until a reset.

Anyone have experience with these symptoms or specifically Ymain failure?

TIA!

Re: Samsung PN51F4500AFZX picture blank after 30-60 minute use, has sound

With an issue like this a trick you can use is to get an ordinary household hair dryer or heat gun/paint stripper set on the lowest setting (max 80C) and blow hot air over boards.

If the set shuts down when you heat a part, repeat the test, until you can narrow down the fault.

There are known issues on Samsung PDPs in the E-series generation (2012) caused by a bad SMPS controller chip on the Y-main. This might be a similar fault or it could be something else. D-series sets are known for cold solder joints on the Yfr or Yrr transistors, which usually causes a distorted picture but can sometimes cause a shutdown.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      With an issue like this a trick you can use is to get an ordinary household hair dryer or heat gun/paint stripper set on the lowest setting (max 80C) and blow hot air over boards.

If the set shuts down when you heat a part, repeat the test, until you can narrow down the fault.

There are known issues on Samsung PDPs in the E-series generation (2012) caused by a bad SMPS controller chip on the Y-main. This might be a similar fault or it could be something else. D-series sets are known for cold solder joints on the Yfr or Yrr transistors, which usually causes a distorted picture but can sometimes cause a shutdown.

I will give this a shot! I will let you know what I find.

Does it help to know cooling the back of the TV on the left side, with the case on, keeps the TV running? The fan points at the location of the ymain board.

Comment

Re: Samsung PN51F4500AFZX picture blank after 30-60 minute use, has sound

Originally posted by spammedeeper View Post
        I will give this a shot! I will let you know what I find.

Does it help to know cooling the back of the TV on the left side, with the case on, keeps the TV running? The fan points at the location of the ymain board.
        It is some evidence to the idea that the Y-main is faulty, yes.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
        X