Problem with Samsung ps43d490 PDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem with Samsung ps43d490 PDP

A bit of a pink tinge is a sign Vs needs increasing, but I'd only increase it to the point that Vs no longer has any effect on the picture.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Ah I see, cheers Tom. Unfortunately I had to raise Vs back up to 212v to get rid of any funny business with the panel. It was only until I had some 100% white test screens up I realised how bad it was at lower voltages.

All testing is on hold now till I get the 1.6 xmain as the 1.8 had a funny buzz coming from it - I don't know if its a quirk of the design or if anything was out of spec.

Toying with the idea of tapping into the 5v feed from the usb port in order to run a PC fan or two on the back of the chassis, might help things get a bit cooler.

I'm a bit confused though, I was going to test the Vscan but on the panel it is labeled at being -185v Do I test it in the same way or do I have to reverse the polarity on the DMM?

Comment

Polarity for Vscan isn't important (well if it went positive it would not work at all!), just look at the actual number "185V". If you get pink tinge from low Vs, increase -Vsc to around -195V.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks again Tom, I take it that increasing Vscan is not as much a strain on components then. And would it cause (I don't know the term) 'sparkly pixels'

Cheers for staying on and answering my 'noob' questions, I've learnt a lot in the past few weeks!

Comment

Yes playing with Vscan can increase sparklies but it's a matter of finding the best point you can reach. I did like the pic quality on these Samsungs but they really compromised on build quality and have lots of panel issues, shame.

Comment

Yes your right! The guy at Emos said the same thing = they really skimped on the panels which he said it was why they needed the Vs to be 'overdriven' (sorry I dont know the correct term)

I'll have a play with the Vscan when I get the 1.6, as long as overdriving that does not reduce component life like the vs I can live with a few sparklies and I'm sure a low rpm fan will help matters.

Comment

Oh stupid question! When playing with the Vs I have been making adjustments with the TV off then checking the result.

Can I change the pots while the tv is on?

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly666 View Post
                  Oh stupid question! When playing with the Vs I have been making adjustments with the TV off then checking the result.

Can I change the pots while the tv is on?
                  Yes, but be careful. While it is on, high voltage is exposed, and if you slip, you could damage something or electrocute yourself. Maybe best for now to do it only when set is off.

Comment

Cheers for the advice Tom, I've got a good set of VDE screwdrivers and some insulated gloves which I've been using but I will certainly feel safer doing the way I've been doing (and the way you advised)

I'm probably going on, but thanks for your help Tom, hopefully the new X-main will hold and everything will be good, if not I wont bother you until the replacement goes bang (PS51F5500)

Comment

Ok, new 1.6 X-main came in today. I've had a play with the voltages and I settled on some. I don't know if voltages have a 'sweet spot' but it certainly seems so!

Took me ages to try and get rid of the pink spots, raised Vscan to 195v with no effect. For a while the only thing that seemed to get rid of it would be to raise the VS to around 212v and I really didn't want to do that. So in frustration I set the voltages with the set on and bingo! I found a good compromise between image quality and voltages (image is almost perfect to me)

The panel settings are as follows...

VA = 58v
                      VS = 207v
                      Vscan = 185v

I managed to dial them in too...

VA = 59v
                      VS = 208v
                      Vscan = 187(8)v DMM kept jumping between the two

I think these are as near as I'm going to get, I guess these are not too far out as to cause premature failure Tom?

Comment

Hi, my Samsung has gone pop and is now dead, does that mean the y sustain board has gone.

Comment

X-main plus Y-main need replacement.

Comment

where is the best place to get these Tom, and do I update the firmware after.

Comment

Several people on eBay have them, I'm a fan of parts4me uk they are cheap but untested with good returns policy. Yes update firmware after installing them.

Comment

thanks tom

Comment

Hi tom, the tv wont power up at all, when I press the on button on the front an led blinks, I think its just saying ive touched the touch sensitive button. nothing else happens. Please could you lable the circles on the pic for me just to make sure im working on the right board.
                                  1:
                                  2:
                                  3:
                                  4:
                                  5:
                                  thank you
                                  Attached Files

Comment

1 Y-main + Y-buffer
                                    2 PSU / Power board
                                    3 X-main
                                    4 Main board/video board
                                    5 Control/logic board

Comment

Hi tom witch is the ldvs cable?
                                      thanks
                                      Attached Files

Comment

It runs between the main board and control board.
                                        Why have you posted in two forums? Hard to keep track of both.

Comment

sorry I wanted to chat with you personally

Comment

Working...
                                          X