Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

Hello, I just joined this site after I finding this thread. I have this exact same model and it gave out on me the other day...... I literally know nothing about electronics repair. However, I'm keen to learn. I enjoy building and working on stuff.

My TV went out a few days after my extended warranty expired. How annoying.

I'm not really sure where to start. I found a few replacement boards on Ebay. Should I just start replacing one at a time?

Is there a way to check which board went bad? I know from reading this that it's most likely the SU/SD or SC boards.

How realistic is it for me to repair it on my own with no experience?

Am I better off sending it to a repair center. There is a guy on Ebay that will look at all three boards for $150.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

Re: 55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

$150 seems a little steep if it's just a rebuild plus check the buffers.

If you can borrow a half decent auto ranging multimeter and resistance check the buffers your self then I'd send the board Here

Rebuild for about $80 plus whatever the freight is.

Maybe contact them and see what they can offer if you want to send the buffers in for checking?

If you decide to pull the SD/S boards out then be aware that getting the ribbons back in and seated right can be a fiddly job.

With a meter you could also check the SC board for shorted transistors or you can remove the 4 Vfg(gnd) bolts from the sd & su boards, disconnect the 2 connectors on the SD and the single connector on the su , jumper the 2 pins at SC50, turn the TV on and see if it still 7 blinks.

That will confirm bad Sc but you still have to check the sd/su boards have not shorted too.
      Last edited by tw2005; 04-23-2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
        $150 seems a little steep if it's just a rebuild plus check the buffers.

If you can borrow a half decent auto ranging multimeter and resistance check the buffers your self then I'd send the board Here

Rebuild for about $80 plus whatever the freight is.

Maybe contact them and see what they can offer if you want to send the buffers in for checking?

If you decide to pull the SD/S boards out then be aware that getting the ribbons back in and seated right can be a fiddly job.

With a meter you could also check the SC board for shorted transistors or you can remove the 4 Vfg(gnd) bolts from the sd & su boards, disconnect the 2 connectors on the SD and the single connector on the su , jumper the 2 pins at SC50, turn the TV on and see if it still 7 blinks.

That will confirm bad Sc but you still have to check the sd/su boards have not shorted too.
        Hi, thank you for responding. I have a cheap multimeter I bought from Harbor Freight. I know there stuff is cheap. I bought it awhile ago on a whim. I can get a better one if it's not up to the job. It's still new in the package.

I will try removing the Vfg(gnd) bolts and other connectors from the sd and su first. I will report back with results.

Comment

Hi everyone.

I'm from Melbourne, Australia and new to the board; guess what brought me here?

I have a Viera TH-P55GT30A - does the 7 blink problem I have relate to the TC version (and does the A at the end of my model mean anything)? i.e. do they have the same boards (SC & SU/SD) with the same possible issues?

Do PTS Electronics accept repair jobs from o/s and, if so, will freight charges be so high that I'm better off ditching the TV and going out and buying another?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie33 View Post
            Hi everyone.

I'm from Melbourne, Australia and new to the board; guess what brought me here?

I have a Viera TH-P55GT30A - does the 7 blink problem I have relate to the TC version (and does the A at the end of my model mean anything)? i.e. do they have the same boards (SC & SU/SD) with the same possible issues?

Do PTS Electronics accept repair jobs from o/s and, if so, will freight charges be so high that I'm better off ditching the TV and going out and buying another?

Thanks in advance for your help!
            Take the back off and have a look. The SC board will probably have a white label TXNSC1MTUZ, but it'll also probably be a TNPA5335 and usually have a 2 letter REV stamp. If in doubt, post an image.

The trick here is being sure it's just the Sc board or whether the sd/su are damaged as well.

Majority of cases it'll be the SC. Personally if you like Plasma I'd fix it but then that's cos I can.

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it that would be handy.
            Last edited by tw2005; 08-06-2016, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Dont ditch the tv. Your not going to buy a led tv that will have a better image then this tv for the repair cost.
              I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Last edited by Malachi; 08-06-2016, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I agree with Moreno. I have a 55st30 and I prefer it over my lg 60pv250. It's my main tv even though smaller. After all what's 5 inches, right guys? Lol.
                  I have a spare working tnpa5335 but I'm not selling it as there is a 55st30 100 miles from me with 7 blinks that I was supposed to pick up today.

Comment

Oh, I definitely want to stick with my Panasonic plasma if it's at all possible - don't like LCDs, LEDs, ULEDs etc plus I'm a Panasonic fan from way back.

Is there a service manual showing how to take the rear off to get to the good bits?

Comment

Just take all the screws off.

Comment

Indeed. Don't need a service manual for that. Just remove all the screws on the back of the tv and remove the cover. Tv can stand on its foot when you remove the cover.

Your tv probably has the TNPA5335 with the separate buffer boards. If so , remove the buffer boards from the SC board. ( So the buffer boards don't touch the SC board )
                        Place a screw or harddisk jumper on the SC50 connector. Its a small connector on the bottom side of the sc board , close to the buffers. Turn on the tv , still 7 blinks then your SC board is dead. This can be just the SC board or also the power supply..... happens a lot on 42 inch.
                        I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Oh, I definitely want to stick with my Panasonic plasma if it's at all possible - don't like LCDs, LEDs, ULEDs etc plus I'm a Panasonic fan from way back.

Is there a service manual showing how to take the rear off to get to the good bits?
                          If it's on a stand that will make it easier to work with you can remove all bolts.

simply that's all you do. every bolt you see remove including the stand bolts, the bolts in the power cord cover. There will be bolts around the mainboard area too.

I'd start around the mainboard, power cord, stand, then bottom u the sides and top last. If the cover does not just pop off then you've missed some.

Also be very careful handling the steel back, the edges are not finished and have a feather edge that can slice like a razor if it slides in your hand.

As for a manual, hard to find for our exact model but the chassis may be similar to other markets.

One tip, use the correct fitting screwdriver tip, the heads round out easily as they're a small and shallow bolt they used.

If I find a useful image I'll post it

Comment

Originally posted by Moreno83 View Post
                            Indeed. Don't need a service manual for that. Just remove all the screws on the back of the tv and remove the cover. Tv can stand on its foot when you remove the cover.

Your tv probably has the TNPA5335 with the separate buffer boards. If so , remove the buffer boards from the SC board. ( So the buffer boards don't touch the SC board )
                            Place a screw or harddisk jumper on the SC50 connector. Its a small connector on the bottom side of the sc board , close to the buffers. Turn on the tv , still 7 blinks then your SC board is dead. This can be just the SC board or also the power supply..... happens a lot on 42 inch.
                            3 white connectors and the 4 bolts

Comment

Also with the power cord if you disconnect it I'm not sure if it can be reversed but the Blue cable lines up with blue and brown with brown.

Comment

I always keep the buffer boards connected to the ribbon cables because they are a pain in the ass to reconnect to the panel. I just remove the white connectors and the 4 bolts and place some thick paper/carbon between the buffer boards and the SC board so that they touch each other.

Hope you get it fixed.

Comment

looks close
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Hey tw2005, Moreno83 & Malachi, thanks for your guidance thus far; yes, it's still on its stand, so I'll leave it that way and remove screws as the first part of my adventure.

Gee, I don't have to remove the power cord, do I? Just unplug it from source, yeah?

I am no handyman!

Comment

Hey tw2005, Moreno83 & Malachi, thanks for your guidance thus far; yes, it's still on its stand, so I'll leave it that way and remove screws as the first part of my adventure.

Gee, I don't have to remove the power cord, do I? Just unplug it from source, yeah?

I am no handyman!
                                      definitely have it off and unplugged from the wall if you have no idea whilst you're pulling it apart

Only need to remove the cord if you want to remove the back panel away from the TV, otherwise it just clips in, compress the side tabs and it should pop out otherwise just be careful not to snag the rear cover and damage the wires.

Take photos of how things are before you pull them apart if in doubt.

Don't go poking things either even when power has been removed you can have stored charge, mainly the power boards which are in the centre section and the largest board in there.

Comment

When you have removed the back panel from the tv you will see the power supply in the middle. The SC board on your left hand side together with the buffer boards.
                                        The mainboard and the SS board are on your right hand side.

Your focus should be on your left hand side.

Comment

layout
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X