Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

They are easier to seat with the board NOT screwed in.

Originally posted by hoptown101 View Post
    I have a picture again so the boards are fixed and we're making progress. Are there any tricks to getting the ribbon cables seated properly and how tough are those things? I feel like I'm going to tear them up tugging on them. I've tried reseating a couple of them 3 or 4 times with no luck.

Comment

Re: 55 inch Plasma Viera (VIERA TC-P55GT30) not turning on. 7 blinking red lights.

I'm having a moment where I feel really dumb. I have a TC-P55GT30 and yes I have the 7 blinking lights of death. I've researching and reading this thread. I'm in the middle of trying to follow a flow chart that was posted on how to tell if the issue is the SC board are the SU/SD board.

In the first step I'm supposed to disconnect the SU/SD board from the SC board, leave the SC board connected and see what happens with the lights. All connectors are easy to disconnect except for the connectors between the SU/SD board and the SC board. I believe these are referred to as buffers. They are delicate/flexible metal pins that seat into a connector. The connector has spring loaded tabs on the SU/SD board side. I can't for the life of me figure out how these disconnect. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Also, I can't find the Panasonic parts store that people have referred to. I have searched for it, and just can't find it. I have been having trouble just finding the SC and SU/SD board parts. I really just want to order them all and return what I don't use, to speed up the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Havasu View Post

In the first step I'm supposed to disconnect the SU/SD board from the SC board, leave the SC board connected and see what happens with the lights. All connectors are easy to disconnect except for the connectors between the SU/SD board and the SC board. I believe these are referred to as buffers. They are delicate/flexible metal pins that seat into a connector. The connector has spring loaded tabs on the SU/SD board side. I can't for the life of me figure out how these disconnect. Any help would be appreciated.
          the only connectors removed are the 3 from the SC to the SD/Su boards. So what are the easy ones you refer to?

Squeeze the side tabs in , then gently wiggle side to side until it comes free. they are a tight fit.

The 4 ground screws on the SD/SU boards are also removed, then the 2 pin SC50 connector on the Sc is jumpered , then the TV is turned on

Comment

Also, I can't find the Panasonic parts store that people have referred to. I have searched for it, and just can't find it. I have been having trouble just finding the SC and SU/SD board parts. I really just want to order them all and return what I don't use, to speed up the process.
            Shopjimmy, Payless Components are 2 I know or if it's just a bad SC board ModuslinkPTS do repairs if the board is hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
              the only connectors removed are the 3 from the SC to the SD/Su boards. So what are the easy ones you refer to?

Squeeze the side tabs in , then gently wiggle side to side until it comes free. they are a tight fit.

The 4 ground screws on the SD/SU boards are also removed, then the 2 pin SC50 connector on the Sc is jumpered , then the TV is turned on
              The connectors that have small flexible metal fingers on one side that are into a connector with the spring tabs you were talking about. I pushed in the tabs, and started to pull, but they felt like they were hung up. I didn't want to damage them, so you're saying press the tabs and pull firmly? It just seemed with the other two still connected I might damage the others pulling back too far.

Comment

The connectors that have small flexible metal fingers on one side that are into a connector with the spring tabs you were talking about. I pushed in the tabs, and started to pull, but they felt like they were hung up. I didn't want to damage them, so you're saying press the tabs and pull firmly? It just seemed with the other two still connected I might damage the others pulling back too far.
                Attached Files

Comment

Great. Thanks. I really appreciate it. I may have some more questions along the way here. I just want to see if I can narrow down which board it is. I'm following a flow chart posted much earlier in this thread.

Comment

I'm just not getting it yet. In what direction do these fingers come out? Do they go straight back? Does the SU/SD board go up while SC board stay in place?

I am depressing the tabs, and pulling back from the SC board side? What am I missing. It really looks like those metal fingers go all the way through from The sc board through the connectors all the way back to almost the tabs, and I just don't see how they come out.

Comment

Ok disregard my last message. I lifted up on the SC board and then realized that the connector with the tabs came out, not the pins separated. That was my first thought earlier, that's what it seemed like, but I got no movement out of the connectors.

Here is where I am at. I disconnected the SU, and SD board from the SC board. I still received the 7 blinks. Then I disconnected SC20, and Sc2 (the ribbon and power connector from the SC board), and now I'm receiving 8 blinks instead of 7. Does this truly indicate the SC board as the culprit? OR, since the blinks change to 8 after disconnecting the SC board does that point to the Sc board being good, and aproblem with SU, and SD board?]

I'm just trying to see if I can definitely be able to tell which board.
                      Last edited by Havasu; 01-03-2015, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Ok disregard my last message. I lifted up on the SC board and then realized that the connector with the tabs came out, not the pins separated. That was my first thought earlier, that's what it seemed like, but I got no movement out of the connectors.

Here is where I am at. I disconnected the SU, and SD board from the SC board. I still received the 7 blinks. Then I disconnected SC20, and Sc2 (the ribbon and power connector from the SC board), and now I'm receiving 8 blinks instead of 7. Does this truly indicate the SC board as the culprit? OR, since the blinks change to 8 after disconnecting the SC board does that point to the Sc board being good, and aproblem with SU, and SD board?]

I'm just trying to see if I can definitely be able to tell which board.
                        So once the Sd/su are disconnected, the 4 bolts that ground them are removed, then SC50, 2 pins are shorted together, then the TV is turned on. Is that what you did next? You do this with the SC bolted in correctly so it's grounded to the chassis. i.e. do not remove it. leave insitu.
                        Last edited by tw2005; 01-03-2015, 09:09 PM.

Comment

So once the Sd/su are disconnected, the 4 bolts that ground them are removed, then SC50, 2 pins are shorted together, then the TV is turned on. Is that what you did next? You do this with the SC bolted in correctly so it's grounded to the chassis. i.e. do not remove it. leave insitu.
                          I had all 3 unscrewed. So I need to have the Sc board completely screwed down?

As far as the SU/SD are the bolts that ground those boards the bigger of the srews? I believe there are 4 bigger one's that go along the front, and then 3 smaller one's that are at each end, and in the middle.

Where can I get a 2 pin jumper? Or can I just hold a piece of wire across the two to short them together? What outcome's are possible and what do they tell me?

Comment

I had all 3 unscrewed. So I need to have the Sc board completely screwed down?

As far as the SU/SD are the bolts that ground those boards the bigger of the srews? I believe there are 4 bigger one's that go along the front, and then 3 smaller one's that are at each end, and in the middle.

Where can I get a 2 pin jumper? Or can I just hold a piece of wire across the two to short them together? What outcome's are possible and what do they tell me?
                            Not sure if a computer jumper will fit but a small alligator clip I find can sit across those and work. If the TV turns on with no blinks then it's just the buffer boards. If it still 7 blinks then SC board and the buffers still should be checked for shorts.
                            it's the 4 bigger bolts that have metal pads under them for grounding that get removed.
                            Last edited by tw2005; 01-03-2015, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Not sure if a computer jumper will fit but a small alligator clip I find can sit across those and work. If the TV turns on with no blinks then it's just the buffer boards. If it still 7 blinks then SC board and the buffers still should be checked for shorts.
                              it's the 4 bigger bolts that have metal pads under them for grounding that get removed.
                              Ok So disconnect SU/SD boards from SC board.

Take out 4 bigger screws on SU/SD boards

Alligator clip, or something that will go across the two Pins of sc50

If no Blinks it's the SU/Sd boards. If it still blinks then it's the SC board.

I'll be doing this today. Thanks.

Comment

I didn't have a jumper, or alligator clips small enough, so I used some speaker wire, split the two sides, and stuck them in the socket for SC50 over the two pins. The buffer connectors between the SC, and SD/SU board were disconnected, and so were the ground screws for the SD/SU board. The SC board was completely screwed down. The light still blinks 7 times, so that is the SC board correct?

Comment

I didn't have a jumper, or alligator clips small enough, so I used some speaker wire, split the two sides, and stuck them in the socket for SC50 over the two pins. The buffer connectors between the SC, and SD/SU board were disconnected, and so were the ground screws for the SD/SU board. The SC board was completely screwed down. The light still blinks 7 times, so that is the SC board correct?
                                  At a minimum SC board but you need to somehow check the sd/su boards for shorts or roll the dice and replace the SC only without checking. Worst case scenario is the sd/su are shorted and blow the Sc. Best case the TV is fixed.

Whoever fixes the Sc board for you may be able to test the buffers for a fee or free? If you are just buying a new board then somehow you're going have to work out how you want to achieve this.

Comment

At a minimum SC board but you need to somehow check the sd/su boards for shorts or roll the dice and replace the SC only without checking. Worst case scenario is the sd/su are shorted and blow the Sc. Best case the TV is fixed.

Whoever fixes the Sc board for you may be able to test the buffers for a fee or free? If you are just buying a new board then somehow you're going have to work out how you want to achieve this.
                                    I am sending the SC board to ModusLink, it will be a repair and return as they don't have the boards in stock. When I get the SC board back, shouldn't I be able to connect the ribbon, and power connector. Leave the SD/SU disconnected, and not grounded and jump SC50 again? If the 7 blinks do not happen, then the assumption is it was the SC correct?

Is there anyway type of troubleshooting I can perform to isolate if the issue is with the SD/SU board?

If I connect the SC board to the SD/SU board, and I still receive the 7 blinks, assuming the SC board was repaired and functional, is the assumption at that point that it was the SD/SU board, and that the SC board has absolutely been blown by shorted SD/SU boards?

The only way to know if the SC board has been blown at that point in my mind is to test the SC board when I receive it back. Connect power and the ribbon, leave disconnected from SD/SU, jump SC50, and I assume I won't have the 7 blinking lights, because the SC board is now repaired.

Then connect the SD/SU boards. Power up the TV. IF I still don't have a picture, then the assumption is the SD, or SU board needs to be repaired. At that point to test to see if the SC board has been damaged I would disconnect the SD/SU board again, and remove ground. Retest the SC board by jumping SC50. If I now receive the 7 blinking light, then the SC board has an issue again to, and all boards have to be repaired. If the I still have no blinking power light, then the assumption would be the SC board has been repaired and is still ok, and the issue is in the SD or SU board. Am I missing anything?

I really appreciate all the advice, and info.

Comment

I am sending the SC board to ModusLink, it will be a repair and return as they don't have the boards in stock. When I get the SC board back, shouldn't I be able to connect the ribbon, and power connector. Leave the SD/SU disconnected, and not grounded and jump SC50 again? If the 7 blinks do not happen, then the assumption is it was the SC correct?

Is there anyway type of troubleshooting I can perform to isolate if the issue is with the SD/SU board?

If I connect the SC board to the SD/SU board, and I still receive the 7 blinks, assuming the SC board was repaired and functional, is the assumption at that point that it was the SD/SU board, and that the SC board has absolutely been blown by shorted SD/SU boards?

The only way to know if the SC board has been blown at that point in my mind is to test the SC board when I receive it back. Connect power and the ribbon, leave disconnected from SD/SU, jump SC50, and I assume I won't have the 7 blinking lights, because the SC board is now repaired.

Then connect the SD/SU boards. Power up the TV. IF I still don't have a picture, then the assumption is the SD, or SU board needs to be repaired. At that point to test to see if the SC board has been damaged I would disconnect the SD/SU board again, and remove ground. Retest the SC board by jumping SC50. If I now receive the 7 blinking light, then the SC board has an issue again to, and all boards have to be repaired. If the I still have no blinking power light, then the assumption would be the SC board has been repaired and is still ok, and the issue is in the SD or SU board. Am I missing anything?

I really appreciate all the advice, and info.
                                      Sometimes the Buffer boards blow the SC board , so when you have a bad SC, you should also check the buffers. we know the Sc is most likely bad. If you get it repaired and then install it with the buffers then itmay pop again. My advice is see if modus will check them for you. I don't think those buffers are repairable or who does them. Normally just get replacements.

Comment

Please give me some advise. I have trouble shot my tc-pc55gt30 according to the manual and my fault (seven blinks) leads me to a tnp80915 a board replacement. Is there any further troubleshooting to do before I purchase a replacement board?

Thanks1

Comment

Originally posted by awalt View Post
                                          Please give me some advise. I have trouble shot my tc-pc55gt30 according to the manual and my fault (seven blinks) leads me to a tnp80915 a board replacement. Is there any further troubleshooting to do before I purchase a replacement board?

Thanks1
                                          That would be unusual for A board for 7 blink.

describe how you reached that conclusion

Comment

Working...
                                          X