LG 50PQ6000 unstable 5v standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG 50PQ6000 unstable 5v standby

On a side note I do need to get myself a little component kit togeather.
    Repaired: LG50PQ6000

Comment

Pick up another TV with bad caps?
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

What and strip it?

Comment

No... fix it!!!
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

will have a look about.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys Zener replaced and came to life.

Comment

Not a zener. A real diode. Glad you fixed it!

Comment

Well it's worked for 4 weeks with some light use and then got home from the staff party at work for the Mrs to moan at me saying that TV I Fixed is rubbish. Haven't had the back off again just yet but simulated symptoms as before with the diode. Broken again!

Comment

Yeah, looks like the 150V diode might not have been good enough, would need to source a 200V one, but seems damn near impossible!
                    You can try UF5402~UF5407 but they are only fast recovery... not schottky.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                      Yeah, looks like the 150V diode might not have been good enough, would need to source a 200V one, but seems damn near impossible!
                      Hm, maybe it deserves a snubber circuit across the diode?
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I think it already has one but it could be bulked up.

Comment

Hi Tom

Well I thought I did well and got one of these (link below)

Would something else in the tv be pulling too much current, maybe on its way out and cause it to blow do you think?

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/elec...de-general.htm

Comment

Found a source, nice. That should last as long as the original did. Maybe three years or so. I think it's a design flaw for it to not use a proper heatsink. Clearly the part runs much too hot. When installing it, try maximising the lead length. Longer leads will lead to greater heat dissipation capability.

Comment

Found a source, nice. That should last as long as the original did. Maybe three years or so. I think it's a design flaw for it to not use a proper heatsink. Clearly the part runs much too hot. When installing it, try maximising the lead length. Longer leads will lead to greater heat dissipation capability.
                              This is the component I found 4 weeks ago and replaced the original with. Fortunately I ordered 2.

Comment

In not so sure about fitting the 2nd one unless I under stand a bit more why the first replacement blew.

Comment

Originally posted by Baileybum1234 View Post
                                  In not so sure about fitting the 2nd one unless I under stand a bit more why the first replacement blew.
                                  As tom said, it may be too much heat. There are diodes that you can buy which are meant for inverters, they are like 600v, 3A schottkies. I don't know if they have a lower forward voltage drop, but they DO come in better cases (TO-220 for example) which will dissipate the heat better.
                                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

[QUOTE=ben7;294390]As tom said, it may be too much heat. There are diodes that you can buy which are meant for inverters, they are like 600v, 3A schottkies. I don't know if they have a lower forward voltage drop, but they DO come in better cases (TO-220 for example)

So I need to find a better schottkie with simular characteristics?

Comment

You can't fit a TO-220 in that position though, as it's designed for a DO-201 which is an axial package, not designed for mounting to a heatsink. You are stuck with LG's poor design...

Comment

You can't fit a TO-220 in that position though, as it's designed for a DO-201 which is an axial package, not designed for mounting to a heatsink. You are stuck with LG's poor design...
                                        Who says we can't mod it?
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                          Who says we can't mod it?

Comment

Working...
                                          X