Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN58B550 no picture, replaced almost everything

Hello,

I have a Samsung PN58B550 plasma TV. It was given to me, so I opened it up to repair it. I've repaired dozens of LCD TVs before, this one has been quite different though, and I'm almost out of ideas.

When I got the TV, it powered on and displayed a picture, however the picture was dim and everything had a red tint to it. Other than that, the image was uniform, no lines or anything. I inspected every board and found no blown fuses, shorts, or incorrect voltages. After some research, I decided to replace the X-sus board.

After receiving the replacement board, I plugged it in and powered on. The picture was nice and bright again, but the picture quality got worse. The top right section of the display looked perfect, colors were correct and it was bright. The rest of the screen looked crazy, with a lot of incorrect colors and snow. After the TV ran like that for a couple minutes, it powered itself off. Trying to power it on after that, I just get the red light on the front to blink 5 times. I can still here the audible chime when the TV turns on. The power supply clicks 5-6 times.

Looking some more, I found 2 fuses on the y-sus board were blown and one of the IGBT's was shorted.

At this point, I ordered a y-sus board and installed it. I reinstalled the old x-sustain board just in case the replacement was causing problems. Powering on provided the same results, blowing both fuses on that board and shorting out the same IGBT. So I ordered yet another y-sus in addition to new y-buffer boards (both upper and lower). Installing all three of these boards, no fuses are being blown anymore, however I am still getting no display and the same 5 flashes on the front LED!

Researching online, it appears 5 flashes of the power light indicates a power supply problem (correct me if I'm wrong). I disconnected the sustain boards from the power supply, powered on and checked the voltages. All of the voltages match the printing on the power supply (and the service manual) perfectly. I can't see anything wrong with the power supply. A relay clicks 3 times when powering on, I have no idea if that is normal or not.

I decided to go for it and ordered a replacement power supply, installed it today. I'm getting the same results: no display, 5 flashes on the front LED, and the power supply clicks 3 times. Replacing the power supply made no difference at all.

At this point, I've replaced almost every board in this thing. The only boards left would be the main board (where all the inputs are), the logic control board (all the ribbon cables run into this board), the x-buffer board (it's a very simple board, can't see anything that could cause a problem), and a couple boards at the bottom (F-boards? Look pretty simple as well).

After doing a lot of reading on here, I have a feeling there could be a problem with the logic control board. I do get one flashing light on the control board while the TV is powered on. The LED is labeled LED2000, but I have no idea if it's supposed to be flashing or not.

Any help or insight on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. I've already spent dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars on this repair, anything helps. Thanks!!

Re: Samsung PN58B550 no picture, replaced almost everything

Your original repair of the X-main was a good call. If the IGBT repeatedly shorts, there is an excessive load on the Y-main. This could be:

- faulty buffers
    - faulty X buffer
    - bad logic board (rare, especially since you have a picture)
    - bad original X-main replacement (rare)
    - bad panel (very unlikely)
    - bad FFC (possible) - short circuit between lines on the connector to the panel - unrepairable in most cases unfortunately

The 5 flashes probably indicates a short circuit - a failed board. Sometimes this blows fuses but not always.

You can find the shorted board by individually unplugging boards until it stops flashing 5 times (do this with power off).
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hey Mike,
      I'm having the same issue as you've described exactly.
      Could you let me know if you were able to resolve the problem?
      I picked this one up with this problem figuring it would be a pretty easy fix, but I'm stumped. I'm hoping to get a break on it if you have any info.
      Thanks kindly

Comment

I am having this problem except mine also makes a buzzing noise like a bad capacitor. Any luck with a fix or can someone tell me where to get a service manual?

Comment

Buzzing noise = panel's probably got a small crack somewhere you can't see. Not repairable sorry.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Dang :-( I liked this TV. Thank you very much for the quick reply though! Any Ideas on something I can do with this Paper weight then?

Comment

Have you checked the panel for small cracks around the edge? Samsung plasmas just love to suddenly crack... especially the B series large screen sets. Lots of customers report watching TV then a large popping sound followed by a crack shooting across the screen, but sometimes it's just a tiny hairline crack which causes the panel to fail. Other things can cause buzzing too, but a bad plasma panel is usually the cause.

Nasty plasma buzzing sound when cracked.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iAm82lhky4

Comment

I just looked it over and there is a crack in the protective screen and looks like one under it.

Comment

There is no protective screen on these models. That front glass is the top side of the plasma panel. I think these are actually single pane of glass sets, compared to earlier model. It does give a better picture quality and better energy efficiency, but Samsung had a few issues with the reliability of them. Was the TV hit or whacked, or did it just fail suddenly?

I have an older 11th gen 1080p Panasonic plasma that has a protective glass screen (about 1/4 inch from the actual panel), but it appears that they dropped this in later models due to the glare it creates in rooms and halo effect around white text. Doesn't bother me though if it gives good protection to the panel.

Comment

I never noticed it get hit or anything I fell asleep watching it and just woke up too the buzzing noise the other night.

Comment

Sucks then; sounds like you were a victim of the sudden panel failures. This is a well known issue:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...n-my-tv-panel/
                      http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...ring-warranty/
                      http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...de-spider-web/
                      http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...amsung-plasma/
                      http://www.avsforum.com/t/1330304/sa...sponse-ongoing

Seems it affects D-series too. From my research there appears to be little variation in plasma tech from ~2011 onwards. It's mostly small incremental improvements, with energy efficiency and black level being the main targets. And price per unit is a major driver too.

The best you can do is sell it for parts value, you may get $50 for it. The parts are fairly common for this set though, so do not sell for much.
                      Last edited by tom66; 04-25-2013, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help I may reconsider the Plasma I was about to buy. Do you know anything about a Samsung PN60F5500AFXZA? I havent seen very much about this TV but was about to purchase it.

Comment

I always recommend Panasonic over Samsung plasmas. I have repaired 5 Samsung plasmas to 2 Panasonic plasmas. Panasonic sell about 20% more plasmas than Samsung (~5.5 mn/yr vs ~4.5 mn/yr) so make your mind up about reliability . LG plasmas are also decent. Not as good as Panasonic, but a lot cheaper and providing good bang for the buck and good build quality. Better than Samsung.

Consider: Panasonic TC-P60U50, TC-P60UT50, TC-P60S60, TC-P60ST60. U50/UT50 are last year's model so available for less; but there's virtually no difference between that and the 60 series newer models. "T" indicates 3D capability, so if you don't need that, choose the one without "T".
                          Last edited by tom66; 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Youre the man! Thanks for your help youve saved me alot of time. Ill check out the Panasonic ones right now!

Comment

Good luck and I feel it useful to point out that buying an extended warranty is usually pointless but I am informed by several US members that Costco do a 5 year one for $60 (with the purchase of a TV), which is a pretty good price. You have to be a member though, not sure if that costs too much.

Comment

That would be a good deal! Ill look into that also.

Comment

I wasn't sure where to post my issue for my Samsung PN58B550 Plasma so here goes. I got it for free and it is completely dead, no lights, nothing. I tested voltage at the entry of power supply and get 120v, I tested past the two initial fuses and get 120v, I ordered a new power supply because to the right of the entry of power to the power supply there is a power light that doesn't light up. Am I correct in thinking this is a bad power supply?
                                  Last edited by zukdj; 04-30-2014, 11:03 AM.

Comment

That is a surge absorber, not a light. Completely dead could be power board or main board fault.

Comment

forgot to mention power supply heat sinks always cold, nothing there, if power was passing through them wouldn't they heat up?

Comment

Not in standby or on low load, TV uses less than 1W in standby which is hardly any power

Comment

Working...
                                        X