• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hp 450 g7 password

Request for unlocking:

HP ProBook 450 G7
    Both GigaDevice and Winbond chips dumped
    Used HPUnlock and RCUnlock on Winbond dump, but both still prompt for password to enter bios.
    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Comment

Program GigaDevice chip only, leave the other as is.
      Attached Files
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
      Become a Badcaps supporter
      >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
      Thanks to all supporters.​
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
        When you say to leave the Winbond chip as-is, do you mean with the original dump or with one modified by HPUnlock/RCUnlock? Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question.

Comment

Originally posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post
          When you say to leave the Winbond chip as-is, do you mean with the original dump or with one modified by HPUnlock/RCUnlock? Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question.
          If it is currently soldered on the motherboard don't bother to play with it again - doesn't matter. If it's still not soldered flash it with the original dump.

Comment

Thanks! This worked. Winbond chip still had HPUnlock modded bios on it. Now if I could find a way to disable the Absolute Persistence Module, I'd have a working laptop.
            Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks! This worked. Winbond chip still had HPUnlock modded bios on it.
              As I said it doesn't matter.

Now if I could find a way to disable the Absolute Persistence Module, I'd have a working laptop.
              Thanks again!
              You should have mentioned this problem in the beginning.

Enter the bios and restore security settings to default, then restart the machine.
              After that program only the Winbond chip with this dump and don't do anything with the other chip, leave it as is.
              Last edited by Vesko356; 02-28-2023, 08:38 PM.

Comment

You should have mentioned this problem in the beginning.

Enter the bios and restore security settings to default, then restart the machine.
                After that program only the Winbond chip with this dump and don't do anything with the other chip, leave it as is.
                Thanks. I would have mentioned it, but I had no idea. Bought this system off Craigslist with no OS and locked BIOS. Got past the bios password, with your great help (thanks again!), and installed Windows. While updating and installing drivers, it suddenly shut down and came up with the Absolute bullsh*t. Before I flash this BIOS file, does it matter that the system updated the BIOS after I installed Windows? It's now on version "S71 01.16.00". I can dump the new version and reupload here if it matters. If not, I'll just flash this new file you posted. Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

Thanks. I would have mentioned it, but I had no idea. Bought this system off Craigslist with no OS and locked BIOS. Got past the bios password, with your great help (thanks again!), and installed Windows. While updating and installing drivers, it suddenly shut down and came up with the Absolute bullsh*t. Before I flash this BIOS file, does it matter that the system updated the BIOS after I installed Windows? It's now on version "S71 01.16.00". I can dump the new version and reupload here if it matters. If not, I'll just flash this new file you posted. Thanks so much for your help!
                  Oh come on, I can't believe it, now the bios was also updated to a new version, it matters of course, now everything all over again. Upload the dump from the fu..ing Winbond chip.

Comment

I really do appreciate your help. BIOS update was included in Windows update and didn't give me a chance to stop it. Here's the dump of the Winbond chip with the current BIOS (S71) and no password. Thank you very much!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I really do appreciate your help. BIOS update was included in Windows update and didn't give me a chance to stop it. Here's the dump of the Winbond chip with the current BIOS (S71) and no password. Thank you very much!
                      Fingers crossed:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, Vesko356! Laptop boots into MPM. I've been reading and just want to check myself. I now should use NbDMIFit (or HPBCU or Wndmifit) to re-enter system info and turn off Absolute module, yes? Do you know which version of the aforementioned software works on this model? I loaded wndmifit onto a WinPE bootable USB drive (HBCD_PE_x64), but it errors when I try to run it. Will continue reading and try a DOS boot environment, but any further help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thank you, Vesko356! Laptop boots into MPM. I've been reading and just want to check myself. I now should use NbDMIFit (or HPBCU or Wndmifit) to re-enter system info and turn off Absolute module, yes? Do you know which version of the aforementioned software works on this model? I loaded wndmifit onto a WinPE bootable USB drive (HBCD_PE_x64), but it errors when I try to run it. Will continue reading and try a DOS boot environment, but any further help you can give is greatly appreciated.
                          You're welcome.
                          Yes you to have to select a suitable version of the software with which to enter the data, the important thing is to turn off Absolute module - it's already possible, right?

Comment

From what I'm reading, it should be possible with MPM enabled. Now I'm just playing with boot disk types/versions and software versions. I'll report back when I figure it out. Thanks so much!

Comment

From what I'm reading, it should be possible with MPM enabled. Now I'm just playing with boot disk types/versions and software versions. I'll report back when I figure it out. Thanks so much!
                              Try HP BCU (Bios Configuration Utility) ---> https://ftp.ext.hp.com/pub/caps-soft...it/HP_BCU.html
                              Guide ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQJu...hannel=IT-Tube
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Vesko356; 02-28-2023, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Hmmm. HP BCU doesn't seem to change the Module from Active to Inactive. BCU returns no errors, but doesn't show a settings change, and re-reading the config still shows Active.
                                I tried changing a different setting to see if that worked, and it showed the change in the output and the change was there in a re-read. Do you think setting "Permanent Disable Absolute Persistence Module Set Once" to "Yes" and rebooting, then trying to set "Absolute Persistence Module Current State" to "Inactive" would work? Or maybe I should try through NbDmiFit in UEFI-DOS? Thanks for your continued help and patience.

Also, if I use up the number of reboots for MPM mode, will reflashing the last bios file re-enable the 33 tries?
                                Last edited by ZBeeblebrox; 03-01-2023, 12:16 AM. Reason: Added a question.

Comment

Hmmm. HP BCU doesn't seem to change the Module from Active to Inactive. BCU returns no errors, but doesn't show a settings change, and re-reading the config still shows Active.
                                  I tried changing a different setting to see if that worked, and it showed the change in the output and the change was there in a re-read. Do you think setting "Permanent Disable Absolute Persistence Module Set Once" to "Yes" and rebooting, then trying to set "Absolute Persistence Module Current State" to "Inactive" would work? Or maybe I should try through NbDmiFit in UEFI-DOS? Thanks for your continued help and patience.
                                  You can try setting both "Permanent Disable Absolute Persistence Module Set Once" to "Yes" and "Absolute Persistence Module Current State" to "Inactive" at once via BCU then restart and enter the bios to see if it's changes, just go ahead and experiment with different options, if something go wrong you can always reflash Winbond chip and start all over.

Also, if I use up the number of reboots for MPM mode, will reflashing the last bios file re-enable the 33 tries?
                                  Yes.

Comment

Vesko356, you are the f*cking man! After playing around with those settings, the "Current State" setting completely disappeared and BIOS screen reports Permanently Disabled and status Inactive. Now to get rid of the damn Absolute software that forces itself in to the system every time it updates, but I won't clutter up this thread with this anymore. Thanks again!

Comment

Vesko356, you are the f*cking man! After playing around with those settings, the "Current State" setting completely disappeared and BIOS screen reports Permanently Disabled and status Inactive.
                                      Finally! Excellent, bye-bye Absolute.

Now to get rid of the damn Absolute software that forces itself in to the system every time it updates, but I won't clutter up this thread with this anymore. Thanks again!
                                      Reinstall Windows, no other option - based on your old bios settings this bloatware is already installed itself on your hard disk, and you should reinstall the operating system to get rid of it once for all.

Comment

I did wipe and reinstall as soon as the BIOS was set right, but Absolute was forced back in as soon as I did Windows update for drivers. I'll keep playing with it to try to remove it and keep it out. If not, I'll put Linux on it.

Comment

I did wipe and reinstall as soon as the BIOS was set right, but Absolute was forced back in as soon as I did Windows update for drivers. I'll keep playing with it to try to remove it and keep it out. If not, I'll put Linux on it.
                                          This sounds very surprising and quite strange, since Absolute is already deactivated and turned off in the bios.
                                          Try to reset security settings to default in the bios, then format the disk under Diskpart and reinstall Windows once again. There is no logic for me to reappear again now. Are you sure it's a Absolute or may be it's something else like Windows Autopilot?
                                          Last edited by Vesko356; 03-01-2023, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X