Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSI GL63 (Board 16P51, Rev 1) Laptop - Boot Problem

Hello All,

Well, after a long long time, returning back to MSI GL63 (16P51 Board). Many things were going on in personal life and hence put this board on back burner.

Here are the things done so far over last 3 - 4 days -

removed all power sources and power drained board.

removed and replaced CMOS Battery. The existing battery was showing 1.59 volts and thus had become a dud. Now the battery shows about 3.3 volts in circuit.

after reconnecting CMOS battery, pressed reset switch for 10 seconds to reset EC chip to factory setting.

Powered the board. Following points observed -
    The Charging led lights when Battery is in the circuit.
    HDD led lights up when SSD is installed.
    The power button light is RED in color as it should be, when the machine is booting normally.
    All keyboard characters led (RED) turn on.
    CPU warms up well and the CPU fan kicks in when the CPU temp sensor detects the set temperature.
    GPU also warms up well, however, the GPU fan DOES NOT KICK IN. But in this machine, there is integrated Graphics with GPU Assist for gaming.

The issue that I am facing now is NO VIDEO. No display on internal flat panel and no VIDEO output on HDMI port. I connected HDMI port to my TV expecting that I may get video signal; which will indicate issue with panel/video cable.

Also observed following -

The CPU VCORE shows 0.8 Volts indicating that CPU power supply is working to a large extent.

The GPU VCORE shows about 0.8 to 1V and thus even that seems to be within specs.

3.3 Volts and 5.2 Volts supplies are present.

1.05V, 1.5V supplies for memory are present.

So seems like the power supplies are functioning.

I also removed memory sticks and SSD to try and see whether I can get the standard BIOS "Bootable Device Not Found" or "Memory Error Beeps". No luck in the sense that the BIOS routine may be displaying appropriate messages but, because of Video issue the messages are not visible.

I also checked the voltages around 8 pin BIOS chip. 5 out of 8 pins showed about 3.37 Volts when the board was powered on. To me that looks kinda odd. However, I will try to get the exact pins and voltages tomorrow morning and post here.

Requesting all to share your thoughts and guidelines that can help me to figure this issue.

Warm Regards,

Comment

These measurements looks good.DRAMRST# present? Bios flashed?If you have a dc supply what is the consumption when turned on?

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
        These measurements looks good.DRAMRST# present? Bios flashed?If you have a dc supply what is the consumption when turned on?
        BIOS not flashed specifically.

I used user manual procedure for Hardware Reset Switch. Per manual - remove charger, battery. Press power button for 10 sec. Then press Hardware Reset Switch for 10 sec. Connect battery, charger. Press power and machine sould boot.

DRAMRST# - is this always on or asserted only at the time of boot? Have not checked this signal. Will check today.

I have a question though. I had left the board without any power. Had removed CMOS battery too. Board was left in thtis state for 3 - 4 months.

Will SPI Flash Chip or EC (KB9028) will have any problems? Per my understanding, they shouldn't....

Warm Regards,

Comment

Also, looking for datasheet for IC EPF021J.

Seems that this one is from Kynix but the usual datasheet sites do not have datasheet for EPF021J.

Warm Regards,

Comment

DRAMRST# when cheked with a multimeter will always show a voltage of 1.35/1.5/1.2V depending on the memory type used is DDR3/DRR3-L/DDR4 but when checked with scope it should touch zero and again rise to specified voltage. In other words when it touches zero means its reset.

Comment

DRAMRST# when cheked with a multimeter will always show a voltage of 1.35/1.5/1.2V depending on the memory type used is DDR3/DRR3-L/DDR4 but when checked with scope it should touch zero and again rise to specified voltage. In other words when it touches zero means its reset.
              DRAMRST# appears as you have indicated. So, seems to be OK.

Further - today, I checked signal presence (2+ Volts = Active (High), Close to 0 volts = Inactive (Low)) at CN4 (eDP cable connector for internal flat panel). It's 40 pin connector.

Following are the measurements -

CN4

Pin Signal Y/N Signal Name Volts
              1 Y +5VRUN 5V
              2 X - -
              3 N PDM_DATA_CONN 0V
              4 N PDM_CLK_CONN 0V
              5 X - -
              6 Y +3V_WEBCAM 3.364V
              7 Y CAMERA_ON 3.3V
              8 X Ground
              9 N USB_P13N_R 0.019V
              10 Y USB_P13P_R 3.02V
              11 X Ground
              12 Y PANEL_OD 3.3V
              13 X Ground
              14 N EDP_BKLTCTL 0V
              15 N BL-ON 0V
              16 X Ground
              17 N EDP_TX3_DN_C 0.003V
              18 N EDP_TX3_DP_C 0V
              19 X Ground
              20 N EDP_TX2_DN_C 0V
              21 N EDP_TX2_DP_C 0V
              22 X Ground
              23 N EDP_TX1_DN_C 0V
              24 N EDP_TX1_DP_C 0.72V
              25 X Ground
              26 N EDP_TX0_DN_C 0V
              27 N EDP_TX0_DP_C 0.72V
              28 X Ground
              29 N EDP_AUX_DP_C 0.011V
              30 N EDP_AUX_DN_C 0V
              31 X Ground
              32 Y EDP_HPD 3.375V
              33 Y +3V_LCD 3.375V
              34 Y +3V_LCD 3.375V
              35 Y +3V_LCD 3.374V
              36 Y +3V_LCD 3.374V
              37 X - -
              38 Y PWR_SRC 19.43V
              39 Y PWR_SRC 19.43V
              40 Y PWR_SRC 19.43V

Out of the above signals, the edp-BKLTCTL is generated from PCH. BL-ON is a signal generated by ANDING LID# signal with edp-BKLTON signal. The edp-BKLTON signal is generated by PCH/KBIO chips.

So it appears that the edp- signals are missing/not getting generated.

As I had mentioned in my earlier post (first post on page 2), I tried to do a factory reset by pressing H/W reset switch on MB (following procedure defined in USER manual). The H/W Reset switch is directly connected to KBIO (KBD9028) chip, pin 2 and shorts the pin to ground when pressed. However, that probably triggers copying of Factory Bios to SPI Flash Chip and may be, some functions to PCH and KBIO (do not have details about this H/W Reset process).

Will appreciate any help/guideline that will help me in resolving this issue.

What I am looking for is the working of PCH (HM370), KBIO and SPI-Flash chips when the machine is booting. And, also what should I check further.

Warm Regards,

Last edited by rxyzm; 08-17-2023, 04:31 PM. Reason: better spelling

Comment

When the laptop is on, Plug external keyboard and look whether CapsLock LED is responding when younpress the specific key.
                FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
                  When the laptop is on, Plug external keyboard and look whether CapsLock LED is responding when younpress the specific key.
                  =====

Interesting point.

I will do the check and post the result over here.

I believe the caps lock key on internal keyboard did not respond when I pressed couple of times though the keyboard letter key leds were on. However, need to recheck for confirmation.

FMI, what would be interpretation if the caps lock key does not respond on external keyboard? KB Chip issue?

Warm Regards,
                  Last edited by rxyzm; 08-22-2023, 04:30 PM. Reason: adding clarity

Comment

If the numlock/capslock key doesnt glow on external keyboard, that means mb is not posting at all-so in that case its futile to probe edp connector as problem lies somewhere in S0 state.

Comment

If the numlock/capslock key doesnt glow on external keyboard, that means mb is not posting at all-so in that case its futile to probe edp connector as problem lies somewhere in S0 state.
                      Thank you. That's would be very helpful.

BTW - where can I find info on different state machines such as SO?

Once again Thank you for providing a very good diagnostic point.

Warm Regards,

Comment

Schematic has it all.

Comment

Schematic has it all.
                          =====

Thank you. I think the reference is to Page 70 : titled G3 - S0 in schematic.

I went through the power-on sequence.

And, Based on my observations, I believe that the machine completes S0 state, because the CPU warms-up, GPU warms-up, the CPU FAN kicks in after a few minutes of CPU warming up. I checked for many voltages and they were present.

In fact, the MB once showed WI-FI network detection by switching on Blue LED in the indicator LEDs. But, this was after about 15 minutes of starting and running MB.

I have not checked for PCH_OK, CPU_OK and the last 3 - 4 signals in the S0 sequence. I have not worked with MB for last 2 - 3 days due to some urgent activities at home. Plan to check the "OK" signals group in a day or 2.

However, I thank you once again for providing this insight.

Warm Regards,

Comment

=====

I take back my comment about machine booting (made in last couple of days). Hasty Declaration.

I connected an external keyboard to USB. The keyboard lights flicker when I connect keyboard to USB port. But the caps lock and numlock keys don't respond.

So, right now I am walking through the S0 signal sequence signal by signal to understand the whole boot sequence.

The last 2 signals PCH Clock and PLT_RST remain to be traced at the moment.

Thought I will share a quick update.

Warm Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by rxyzm View Post
                              =====

I take back my comment about machine booting (made in last couple of days). Hasty Declaration.

I connected an external keyboard to USB. The keyboard lights flicker when I connect keyboard to USB port. But the caps lock and numlock keys don't respond.

So, right now I am walking through the S0 signal sequence signal by signal to understand the whole boot sequence.

The last 2 signals PCH Clock and PLT_RST remain to be traced at the moment.

Thought I will share a quick update.

Warm Regards,
                              Have a question. In schematic, I see many resistors marked as 0R01% or X_R/2?

Does 0R0 mean that they are 0 Ohm Resistors?

Does X_R/2 indicate a fusible link?

Thank you for your kind help in advance.

Warm Regards,

Comment

0R0 = 0 Ohm (jumper).

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                                  0R0 = 0 Ohm (jumper).
                                  Thank you.

Warm Regards,

Comment

Working...
                                  X