MSI GP-63 leopard 8re not posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI GP-63 leopard 8re not posting

Hi, I have a MSI GP-63 leopard 8re which has a MS-16R51-ver1.2 motherboard. The charging LED turns on when connected to AC power but laptop doesn't turn on at all. No power button LE, no fan spinning. I got it checked from a technician and he said that the controller firmware needs to be replaced. He said that he doesn't have the firmware and without it he cant carry out the repair. Any help at all would be deeply appreciated.

Re: MSI GP-63 leopard 8re not posting

1) post or link the logic board schematic if on this forum.

2) if not available, locate the dcin connector on the logic board. Next to this DCin connector will often be 2 x DCin mosfets. These mosfets are acting like solid state relays or switches. They are enable by pin #4 which is the gate voltage.

Read the markings of these mosfets which will be black in color and 8 pins (4 per side).

Also near these mosfets will be a square black chip which is the battery charger IC. This charger IC decides when to enable the mosfets. Read the topside markings on the charger IC.

Probably will be the TI 'BQ' series.

Post the details. Or share clear pictures of this area on this forum.

You may need to reflash the EC or you may just have defective mosfets. For the EC details, wait on others to comment. Again, the schematics will help.

PS: the above is a quick summary of the above sticky guide from @Piernov which you can read in the forum.

Comment

I found a schematic diagram for a similar model. Mine has a gtx 1060 while the the schematic diagram has a gtx 1070.

Firmware and BIOS are found on MSI website https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GP63-Leopard-8RE/support
      Technician said this BIOS/Firmware can only be used on live laptop
      Attached Files

Comment

I have attached picture of motherboard
        Attached Files

Comment

The picture does not show clarity of the DCin connector.

Locate it on your board and share the markings of the mosfets for a confirmation.

Comment

Working...
          X