Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing BIOS Windond chip, present in MSI GE78HX laptop for and MXIC and what is Quad SPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing BIOS Windond chip, present in MSI GE78HX laptop for and MXIC and what is Quad SPI

Hi. In the process of troubleshooting an MSI GE78HX laptop that does turn on (on its own), turns on the backlight on and off in infinite cycle, turns on RGB keyboard backlight and light bar. The CPU gets hot, and its fan spins.

The laptop charges the battery, turns on charging lights, which leads me to think the EC (ITE5571E) is ok. Laptop has no shorts, apparently. Memory is ok, tried it in another machine. Tried 5 different sticks in this machine as well, does the same. Memory connector seems ok, no pins bent.

First, I am going to try to backup and reflash its BIOS, (later on I'll care about DMI data) but unlike simpler laptops, this one has multiple flash memory chips. These are located in different spots on the motherboard (MS17S11 V2.0). Getting the main BIOS chip out has been a pain due to the WSON package, I guess I will preheat the whole board. I am still waiting for a new programmer to arrive as the older one failed.

Now, in case the main BIOS is fried (which does not look like), I had ordered MXIC MX25L25673GZ4I-08G before, about to arrive. However, reading a bit more in the datasheet, seems like that MXIC chip (with the 25673G identifier) is set for Quad SPI operation from factory and can not be changed. Locally, seems hard to find either the Winbond W25Q256FVEN that it is got originally or the MXIC I had ordered before, or even a

Both chips are supported in the BIOS VSCC table, but the Macronix chip comes in different variants, some with the Quad SPI feature enabled (without ability to change, like the one I got), others not enabled.

Question is: How this whole Quad SPI thing works in practice? Reading the datasheet did not make it clearer, actually. Is having Quad mode enabled a problem for single SPI operation in case the board does not operate in that way? (board schematics are unavailable). or is the chip smart enough to work in whatever mode the board uses?

Thanks.

Oops, just alt-tabbed and kept digging those datasheets and don't know how could I have missed this part:

"QE bit. The Quad Enable (QE) bit is a non-volatile bit with a factory default of “0”. When QE is “0”, Quad mode commands are ignored; pins WP#/SIO2 and HOLD#/SIO3 function as WP# and HOLD#, respectively. When QE is “1”, Quad mode is enabled and Quad mode commands are supported along with Single and Dual mode commands. Pins WP#/SIO2 and the HOLD#/SIO3 function as SIO2 and SIO3, respectively, and their alternate pin functions are disabled. Enabling Quad mode also disables the HPM feature and HOLD feature" From the MX25L25733F. The one from the MX25L25673G also mentions something similar, just that Quad is enabled like it or not.

Anyways, moving on with the machine symptoms, (screen backlight on/off, RGB on, CPU heating, fan spins) what do you guys think? BIOS?

Comment

Working...
    X