Macbook Air A1466 Emc 3178 No light charger after spilling liquid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook Air A1466 Emc 3178 No light charger after spilling liquid

Hello guys, i have an Macbook Air A1466 Emc 3178, board number 820-00165-A and i encountered following problems. At first no light, no power..after opening and cleaning the LCD socket(Red dot under LCD plug and also Orange dot near wifi card)..got light on charger, fan working and chime...Tried several times and working, then short time after dead...next day work again for short time...after removing the board and cleaning the back(rust on components) with alcohol and soft brush, one of the resistor is gone and no power ..I want to change 5 (buy from China) of them (1 missing and 4 bot looking too good) but i need values, i m a beginner and i can t find them in schematics. If You can help me i would be gratefull. Please don t tell me to go to a repair shop because i don t want to spend hundreds of dollars for something which it s not impossible to do and which i can solve with a little help plus i want to learn new stuff.Thank you in advance!

Welcome.

The large chip is known as the SMC controller.

Go to the schematics forum on this website and download the schematic and the board view file for this model (820-00165) of the logic board.

From the board view file, zoom in on the same section of the logic board. Then click on the parts which are suspects. The file will highlight the part and its value/size. Post any questions you may have.

Comment

I have tried before writing this post but all i get is the resistor numbers,no values.
      1.C5002
      2.C5007
      3.C5008
      4.R5177
      5.R5178

Comment

The results will vary with how well the board view file was built.

Now that you know the part index, open the schematics and search for that same R or C part to learn the full details. For example, search for capacitor C1, etc.

Comment

FlexBV cross references the boardview and schematic together (provided they are same names, just different extensions). Don't know if that is offered in the free version that Paul has out. Just select the component and select search and it's highlighted in the PDF. Saves heaps of time.

With liquid damage on most MAC boards, you have clusters of corroded components. It's pretty time consuming to individually select and replace each one, hence why we just swap components en masse from donor boards. Often I have to remove, clean up the pads by scraping a little, re-tin, and transplant from a donor. There are boards available from China that drilled with CPU, RAM missing however I prefer non-functional boards from eBay. Most are easily fixed BTW, and at least aren't corroded to hell like the ones from Aliexpress.

Those components are all 0201 size.

C5002 = 1uf
          C5007, C5008 = 0.1uf
          R5177, R5178 = 10k

If you have liquid damage in this area, this often gets under the SMC as well. Often creates intermittent issues.

Comment

Thank you very much sir!

Comment

Working...
            X