MSI MS-17G11 LCD circuit repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI MS-17G11 LCD circuit repair

Hi, I've got an MSI GS75 Stealth 9SF that has an MS-17G11/58S motherboard that has failed LCD display output. Looking at the board it appears I had a component burn up that is most likely the root cause. Looking at the board, it looks like it might just be an inductor that needs to be replaced, but I don't know what value it should be, or to try.

The display is an Innolux N173HCE-G33 REV.C3 (specs) (datasheet)
    voltage: 3.3-3.6(3.4typ)
    frequency: 144Hz

I found a boardview of a version of the MS-17G11 that looks to be the matching to my model (same as boardview in this badcaps post), but it doesn't have any component values, just ID's and nets.
    Attached is an image of the damaged board (cleaned up) and the matching portion of the boardview file I got.
    From another post on this forum helping another user with an MS-17G11, there was a schematic for an MS-17F2 board, but it doesn't have an inductor so doesn't seem like it applies to this model. The attached schematic image and pdf is of the MS-17F2 for reference.

Does anyone have an idea of what I could try to repair this section of the board? Does it look like I could just put a new 0603 packaged inductor in that spot, and how might I estimate a good value to try? Plus any other tips on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Schematic ---> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...65#post1078865
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vesko356; 06-29-2023, 05:07 PM. Reason: Attached schematic removed and replaced with link.

Re: MSI MS-17G11 LCD circuit repair

Originally posted by micbay View Post

The attached schematic image and pdf is of the MS-17F2 for reference.
    Do not attach laptop schematics and/or BV in this section please!

Schematic Requests ONLY!
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Reminder: rules and organization of this section
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=117483

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
    Become a Badcaps supporter
    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
    Thanks to all supporters.​
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

This ferrite bead is only to filter noise on the voltage rail pins shown in a cluster in the boardview.

Suggest a current rating of 2A or higher. The resistance of the ferrite bead can be as high as available in the 0603 smd package size.

Recommend 600 ohms which is what we like to use in our product designs.

The part is passive under normal use but will put up the resistance at 100 MHz. Higher the resistance, the better the part.

Having said this, for now, you can just apply a piece of wire across the missing part pads for immediate testing.

Double check your work before powering up to be sure this pad bridge is not touching ground.

To buy a replacement, consider Digikey or Mouser. Or AliExpress if you are not in a rush.

Post links for a final review before purchasing this missing component.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
        [B]Do not attach laptop schematics and/or BV in this section please!
        Sorry Vesko, I misunderstood the rules. I was trying to be thorough with presenting my problem and what I'd researched, having found a BV file in another post in this section it wasn't apparent that was a not preferred. Thanks for letting me know.

mon2,
        Thanks so much for the information, I have not had a chance to jumper that missing component yet to make sure that's the only thing amiss, but I tracked down some ferrite beads to double check with you.
        from Digikey they have 2506036017Y2 & BBHV00160808601Y00 (Mouser link for BBHV00160808601Y00) both with ratings of (600 Ohms @ 100 MHz) (2A)
        Everything with 600Ohms is 2A, nothing greater.

If it's worth trying to get something with a current rating greater than 2A, looks like I'd need to drop the high freq. resistance.
        There is a 742792116 that is 500ohms@100MHz with 2.5A

Comment

The first 3 parts are fine. The last one is not suitable since it is in a 1206 smd size package. The required part must be 0603 smd size.

Comment

cool, I thought I'd filtered for 0603, and didn't catch that one was the wrong package. Looks like 2A is about the max current available in the 0603 size. Is there a risk in running the laptop in the mean time using a direct jumper without a ferrite, other than perhaps noise on the display?

Comment

Great news, jumpering the missing component pads per mon2's guidance, appears to have been successful in restoring my display panel out connection. The LCD I currently have is cracked, so the image has issues, but they all appear to be directly related to the panel damage. The general image appears to otherwise be working properly.
              My new LCD is arriving in a couple days at which point I'll hopefully also have the ferrites in and I'll give a final update on the repair.

Comment

Got the BBHV00160808601Y00 ferrites in today and successfully replaced the blown L13 component.
                I created a solder bead at each solder point, then applied some MG 419D acrylic conformal coating to try and recoat the exposed copper pad before soldering the new ferrite into place. That's what the shiny stuff around the repair is in the final image.

As this repair works as a short without the ferrite, I'm not sure if there is a way to verify that the circuit is indeed going through the ferrite and not shorted accidentally underneath. I worked under a microscope, and used a fine tip (Hakko T18-BR02) but it was still a bit of a challenge. I did verify the circuit was open just before soldering the ferrite.

Thanks to mon2 for the help and I'm grateful this forum is around to help me save my laptop with a $0.10 part instead of a $400 motherboard replacement.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X