HP Sprectre x360 15-DF DAX38CMBAG0 (Quanta X38) not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP Sprectre x360 15-DF DAX38CMBAG0 (Quanta X38) not charging

Latest update on this fiasco. The battery from EMPR not even detected so this is under RMA. This is an official HP battery made in 2021. WTF?

Spent some time testing with the other two batteries from Broadway Computers (3rd party supplier) as the client left me with it for the day. The first one charges and runs fine. However the laptop won't power on from battery only. When power button is pressed, I see the light come up briefly (can see +3.3V/1.05V rails come up) then turns off. If you plug in charger, then unit fires up fine.

2nd battery, seems to work ok, however he claims that if he shuts the lid (sleep mode), goes home, 20 mins later, the laptop won't turn back on.

The original (swollen) battery seems to work ok! A model I will refer customers directly to HP in the future if they want a battery replacement!!!

Comment

So the replacement genuine battery from EMPR arrived and fitted. FYI, part number is L29184-005-ES

Initially all seemed ok. However I was getting a HP System Event notification each time I plugged the charger in that it was a low power adaptor and system resources would be affected and battery may not charge. Pretty sure I never saw that previously, and tried various chargers with all the same error message. So again tried the other battery and that message no longer appeared. Put this new HP battery back in again, and thankfully this message didn't appear again. All seems to work, even from shut down and standby.

Nagging doubt though is the charging current (and this happens with all batteries that I've tried so far and maybe why the original battery expanded). Either via barrel adaptor or USB-C, the charge current varies from 1.5A up to over 4amps, then back down again. Pretty certain there is a motherboard fault, but given there are no schematics available, I'm handing this back and told the customer to take this to HP if he has any further issues. I'm done with it.

Comment

IIRC, the battery should be able to take around 7A according to SMBus data. That's why there's a barrel connector for 120W adapter (USB-C cannot provide enough power for system and charging at max. current).

Comment

Working...
        X