Samsung Syncmaster 171s -intermittent 'blip'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Syncmaster 171s -intermittent 'blip'

Thank you for the opportunity to ask for help with this problem, which is driving me a little crazy.

The monitor itself is in excellent condition, it powers up, displays fine with no screen blemishes etc. However randomly, maybe 3/4 times a day, it will just switch to standby (green>orange led) for maybe a second, then come back on as if nothing had happened. I have visually checked inside, everything looks like new, no browning/heat damage, no unhappy looking caps, the soldering looks fine. I am not blessed with much more than a multimeter and a soldering iron.

Has anyone ever come across this before?

Thanks

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 171s -intermittent 'blip'

Originally posted by headscratcher View Post
    I have visually checked inside, everything looks like new, no browning/heat damage, no unhappy looking caps, the soldering looks fine. I am not blessed with much more than a multimeter and a soldering iron.
    1) Start with posting clear focused pictures AFTER reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

2) Please do not post pictures inline.

3) Take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn flash off, and use macro mode. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focus pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

4) Here is an example of the pictures we want.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpos...94&postcount=1

5) If you have fan, direct it towards the back of them monitor to see if it goes on/off or stays stable.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply retiredcaps. I will endeavour to take some suitable photos.. (sunny day.. I think I remember what those are, Im sure Ive seen one once). I will have to guess as to the example ( link shows ole 404 ).

Regarding the fan.. yes I tried this first after visual inspection of the video, power and inverter boards proved inconclusive. I am not convinced thats it an obvious thermal problem as the momentary 'blip' seems random and not become better or worse ( I may be missing some as I cant stare at the screen all day, however the monitor does not power off at any stage aside of the quick on (fully working - green power led > standby (1 second - orange led) > on again. I noted this happen 3 times in a 12 hour period.

Comment

Originally posted by headscratcher View Post
        I will have to guess as to the example ( link shows ole 404 ).
        Sorry, my bad. It is

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1

I noted this happen 3 times in a 12 hour period.
        Have you tried looking at your video card? Maybe the video card is overheating or has bad caps? Do you have another video card or computer to try? Or another monitor?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Right, I finally managed to dismantle the monitor and take some pictures, although sunlight wasnt available and am not taking the monitor on holiday to Spain in order to do so So the flash has caused some glare, ces't la vie !

The problem isnt limited to any particular video card or computer. I am not sure whether this fault warrants too much effort, especially as generally the monitor is working ok.

Ok I have tried to upload photos but am getting lots of errors at the moment, will try again later.

Thanks !

Comment

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 171s that wont power on. I have replaced caps and nothing. Can someone help me. Thanks, Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Denton View Post
              I have a Samsung Syncmaster 171s that wont power on. I have replaced caps and nothing. Can someone help me. Thanks, Tony
              1) Okay, let's start with posting pictures of your boards so we can see if there are any obvious defects.

2) Post clear focused pictures AFTER reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

3) Please do not post pictures inline as they slow down the loading of pages.

4) For best picture quality and clarity take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn flash off, and use macro mode. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focused pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

5) Here is an example of the pictures we want.

6) Does the power LED come on? Does it stay lit?

7) If the LCD is hooked up to a computer, can you see the display if you shine a flashlight onto the LCD?

8) If you have a multimeter, check the connector between the power and logic board to see if the secondary voltages like 5V DC are present. You might also see 12V or 19V DC depending on the monitor.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                5) Here is an example of the pictures we want.

The correct URL is

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                X