Denon avr 2802 with no sound on speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Denon avr 2802 with no sound on speaker

Hi guys. First of all, I express my gratitude to everyone for this information. I also repaired my Denon AVR-2802. I changed only Flash: Atmel AT49LV002-70TC. The DSP is working fine. I took the firmware here on the forum. I ordered memory chips on Aliexpress. I ordered 3 pieces. Two were faulty and were used. Link to the seller https://aliexpress.ru/item/100500211...00018803732901

Comment

I found this thread and it describes my symptoms exactly. I located the DSP chips on e-bay and just got done replacing it. I put a "surgical drape" of aluminum foil and capton tape around the DSP and used my hot air gun to remove the old chip from the board. I thought about cutting the legs one at a time then cleaning up the mess with my soldering iron, but am happy that I tried the hot air first. It came off quickly with no issues. I did remove the tall electrolytic caps from the area first to get rid of obstacles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ABLVV85p8djkOODpinjiJMPf5Hb09MFK_8iDes4dd0rAx2OipDT02bHkVy6ZYxq5f8DBUtyJKcM-o8VgoM7g8c2-W8OSMXdO9seFqVoYeZlI1-PBTAhO4lBij72HVHG-yAHnIrrRF0dNW7swTArr1NxY6n3MJoGEZ9nhaTSIJqGg-GN_B-HyJDYP4pFaLgO0Y3HUWRbPxOq8ZuDIpU49GHK09JcI52eHj_CM6LJCzECZYR9Ivut9FvFRM0320xS
Views:	127
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	3166772 Click image for larger version

Name:	ABLVV85wbuegbTBjxzyWRMiYpQyvyM7H-ll3YME3DFCSl7C_9V7eqpHk7GINbkYrdzjV4P9db7A_qAiKlyacCU7tVZwWWQKhFyzRVnyZ0a3hLof_zjyWiwDPu4WgnkS1hsmN0D0zRG00OtUjN6CW93ADLXOwcK_drlBN7d351OJ5ejsUoZrv4lg8scmFUOZwOWFP2Orc0UWkTSDCtB8hUkNXMs2dY3ot6fkhh1CeAeRIPFbr0lL72LhIu0gZDOj
Views:	127
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	3166773

New chip installed:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ABLVV852oZW4udYbOHZC4GbGQFHiT9sZ-1gEIwnuvBUokDTCSxbINheoS4bXDmeMFLE19QFXMdqth9LVjon9zIs_a2A8ZDGTV1k1_jwKavxk8VVwSthQMaazoy0_g6W_kQcIQzTL8OygkYKdqH8LO_S6-37JlmQWgxDBwNYJMQ_sM0nkkKDazv21JZNAAaISsFLY2Auq7AIK6cg-lWSGqy05aAoVx6Vej75cpWPW8QakY1xTRsX_x6Y743tDCnS
Views:	128
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	3166774

Unfortunately, my symptoms remain.

I've reviewed the previous posts here and am not able to locate the flash ROM data contents file. I think this is my next step. I'm not sure if the previous posters are following this thread anymore, but I'd like to request help obtaining the flash file, as well as any leads on the flash memory device. I've come this far, I really want to try to get this unit back up and running.

Thanks all for reading and for any advice you can offer.

Attached Files

Comment

Hi, Fox Tango. Glad to hear you are making some progress with your Denon.
        Please see my reply on 2-10-2018 where I posted pretty much everything you should need including the ROM file for the Flash IC.
        The ROM hex file still seems to be available for download; it's in the zip file attached to that posting.
        As I said in that post, I used a Macronix MX29LV040CTI-70G (4Mbit 512k x 8) FLASH IC and Digikey still has it in stock (see my post for the link
        https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...TI-70G/2744774
        Of course, the FLASH IC comes blank so it needs to be programmed. I still have my programmer and I can program the FLASH IC with the hex file
        but I don't currently have any more of the macronix chips on hand.

Chris/azchris
        Last edited by azchris; 12-22-2023, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Success!! It was my flash chip! As I mentioned previously, I swapped out the DSP chip and my symptoms stayed exactly the same. So, I replaced the flash IC and I have a perfectly working Denon 982 again! I'm am so grateful for everyone who contributed to this thread and provided the information. A special thanks goes out to azchris! I ordered the required flash chip from Digikey and azchris agreed to program it for me.

To make the repair, I used mostly the same procedure as before. I made a heat resistance surgical drape from kapton tape and foil. I used my heat gun to heat the flash chip until the solder went molten, and picked it off with tweezers. Then cleaned the pads with solder wick and denatured alcohol. Finally, I soldered the flash IC back on by hand with a fine tip soldering iron. I did manage to create a few bridges on the fine pitch leads, but cleaned it off with the solder braid and all was well.

To recap my symptoms, it was very faint audio, only audible with volume maxed out, and then if any input source was changed, audio was completely dead. Fix was replacing the DSP and flash IC.

Comment

Nice fix!

Make sure you have a copy of that EEPROM data in case you need to reprogram it again!
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by totof69 View Post
              Re: Denon avr 2802 with no sound on speaker

Hello,
              I am a small French hacker, sorry for the translation ...
              The idea for me was to repair my DENON AVR-2802 without buying a memory or programmer
              Hi, friend! I liked your idea. I also have an Arduino mega 2560 lying in my closet unused.
              Could you send me a diagram of your Arduino programmer and W29C020 memory connections.
              This would help me a lot. Thank you!

Comment

Hello, I also have this problem with a Denon AVR2802 related to the sound, I downloaded the bin posted on the forum but I can't write it along the way, an error appears, am I not doing something right or is there something else, I used the AT49LV002 as the one in the device, I tried several pieces but without results, I use TL866 for programming.

Comment

Working...
                X