Capacitors - Small ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitors - Small ones?

I noticed the small caps in my MSI-5184 m/b isn't broken or swollen - should I need to replace it anyway? Or just replace the big and the swollen ones? I have around 4 1000 microfarads caps which are already swollen. So what's the best brand for the caps for my m/b anyway?

Re: Capacitors - Small ones?

i tend to go >470uf
    like the msi flex atx boards with bad 470's
    its a case by case basis .
    as for the best i tend to use panasonic fc or rubycon mbz-mcz.
    there are plenty of known good brands listed in the faq.

Comment

Oh, just wondering, is the size of the capacitor matters also? I have two swollen large 1000 micro-farads caps, and they are tall. So if I replace them with the same value but in smaller size..... will it work?

Comment

Originally posted by The_YongGrand
        Oh, just wondering, is the size of the capacitor matters also? I have two swollen large 1000 micro-farads caps, and they are tall. So if I replace them with the same value but in smaller size..... will it work?
        As long as the capacitance is the same or higher, the voltage rating is the same or higher, the ESR is the same or lower (as a new, good cap, not the junk being taken out), the temperature rating is the same or higher, and it fits the space, it should be fine. Other threads on this forum indicate the good brands and series.

Comment

Same and/or higher? If I put a cap with the voltage and capacitance higher than the original, the board will still survive? Just wondering, is that a theory behind this? I'm a bit ignorant in terms of electronics, and I'm learning actually....

Thanks for the info anyway, I'm going to recap my MSI-5184 right now. Pray that it'll work... Heh heh...

Comment

Working...
          X