iMac G5 power supply w/burning coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMac G5 power supply w/burning coil

This is my first time trying to replace the caps on this power supply. I have seen many of these PSes fail from bad caps, but they also appear to take out a coil at position L8 on the PS as well.

After replacing the caps, my PS worked for about a week, then started smoking again. I found this coil had turned into a heater, burning off all of it's insulation.

Has anyone else seen this? Does the coil have to be replaced? Is there another cause for the coil frying itself?

Re: iMac G5 power supply w/burning coil

I just posted about this exact thing in another category. I had all the bad caps replaced in the iMac G5 17 inch power supply. Worked fine for 1 day and then burned up - same torrid at L8 fried just like yours.

What the heck?

-Nate

Comment

The coils insulation was probably partially melted by the bad caps the first time that deteriorated the insulation enough to heat the coil below the point of catostrophic insulation failure. It looks like the heat was finally too much.

As for repair it depends on how bad the damage is if the core is still okay you could manually rewind the core with new insulated wire.

Is this a torroid or as I call the other type a coil spring like coil (one that has insulating wire wound up a straight core?

The torrid would be more labor instensive then the coil spring type.

You would have to measure the thickness of the original wire with a digital micrometer and count the turns of wire on the core as you are removing them.

If you know how many uH the old coil was you could just buy an off the shelf replacement. The coil is probably for filtering noise on one of the secondary rails.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-09-2009, 04:55 AM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

There are 3 or 4 Toroids in that PSU.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X