Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung plasma PN58B650S1F clicking relay no picture

Evening all,

My name is David & am working on diagnosing a Samsung PN58B650 that won't turn on. I received this TV from a friend for free after it died. I'd like to trouble shoot the issue & replace either the culprit board or component if I'm capable. I have diagnosed & repaired a HP PL4260N with a bad y-sustain board so am not a complete noob to this stuff.

Here are the symptoms & what I have tried so far:

Upon plugging in the TV, a red readiness light is present on the front, turn the unit on either by the touch pad on the TV or the remote & it goes into looping click on/click off cycle. Once this takes place, I have to unplug the TV to power down as the remote & pad become unresponsive. I have ohm tested all the fuses & found them to be good. Unplugging individual boards as follows continue the clicking cycle: y-sus, x-sus, logic or control? Once I unplug the tuner board the unit becomes completely unresponsive, ei will not power up into the clicking cycle. This is if I unplug the power to said board or the harness at the bottom right corner. I tried jumping the #3 & 4 pins on the logic or control? board to get a picture to no avail. Still click cycles, no response on screen.

I have reached my limit of knowledge of trouble shooting & need assistance please
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung plasma PN58B650S1F clicking relay no picture

When you jumper pins 3-4 have you also disconnected LVDS, and on some sets forced the power supply ON?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

From reading your previous posts about jumping the pin, I assumed the cable in question is one going to the tuner board. I did remove the harness from the control and/or logic board that leads to said board. I also saw a post where you asked if the TV had a PS ON and to insert resistors into the harness on the main power supply board so I was not certain that I need to do the same. Figured I may not be doing the procedure correctly.

What I really did not expect was upon disconnecting the tuner board from the power supply the TV would become completely unresponsive. I assume either the TV will not power on at all without the tuner board connected or that the tuner board is in fact somehow the problem.
      Last edited by MyEvolution; 06-07-2013, 12:22 PM.

Comment

LVDS cable is running between tcon and tuner, it leaves the top of the tuner board and is a flat ribbon cable.

You will need to try to turn the set on manually using the resistor technique most likely from something like 5v to pson. both located on the power cords running from the power supply to the tuner board.
        Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

That's the cable I unplugged, so, yes, I'll have to do the resistor jump then. In the post I read previously by you tom66, you had the guy use 2 resistors;

Quote from this thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...samsung+plasma

" Connect whichever value is your favourite from PS-ON to GND, and one from VS-ON to GND. Check if Vs/Va appear and if 5V etc appear."

Should I do the same?

Comment

Yes, except I later corrected my error and it should be PS-ON to GND, VS-ON to 5V.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Very well then. I'll go pick up some resistors from Radio Shack & report back. Thanx

Comment

Ok, have the resistors. Want to make sure I'm following instructions correctly. I unplug harness from power supply to tuner board & apply the resistors to the harness going to the logic board as pictured on top of page 2 of referenced thread?

Comment

Like so?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Update: plugged TV in with above format of tuner board harness unplugged, resistors in place as pictured, observed grey screen that went away quickly ( no screen activity previous to this point), found green light flashing on logic board, tested vs, va, & 5v, all good. Now onto jumping the pins...

Comment

Looks good to me, although im confused why they have vson and pson on both the tuner power conector and on the tcon power connector. It should be safe though for you to start it. If the set doesn't work you could try it with the resistors on the connector going to the tuner board.
                      Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

If the logic board on these isn't jumped and it doesn't detect active LVDS it'll turn off the VSON. The 3-4 jumper causes it to run independent of the main board, as long as PSON and VSON are properly pulled down/up.
                        Last edited by tom66; 06-07-2013, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Update: jumping pins produces test patterns, beautiful test patterns!!! Now what?

ps: tried to upload a video from my iphone but it didn't work?

Comment

Probabilities of a particular failure
                            Your main board is at fault: 95%.
                            Your logic board is at fault: 5%.

Therefore, replace the main board.

For videos, use youtube or similar video sharing sites.

Comment

K, I'll report back asap. Tell me again which # I order by?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by MyEvolution; 06-07-2013, 03:12 PM.

Comment

BN96-xxxxxxx or LJ9x-xxxxxxx only

Comment

btw, you guys, YOU GUYS...
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it's BN94-xxxxxx on this one, but don't use the BN44 whatever you do...

Comment

Found a BN97 # under the white sticker & on the back of the board
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Update: received the new tuner board this afternoon, installed, & BANG!, we have a perfectly working 58" plasma!!! All I need now is a stand. Thanks guys. I appreciate the help & technical expertise...

Comment

Working...
                                        X