FSP250-60GEN heatsink mod and tweak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSP250-60GEN heatsink mod and tweak

This psu sure has tiny heatsinks and since I have some leftovers parts from other fsp psus I decided to beef this one up a bit. I'm going to experiment with changing other components too and see the effect. Maybe configure it for higher output.
    This model had 9n50c fets for the pfc and 5n50c on the primary. I changed the 5 amp fets to 9amp ones and fit a bigger heatsink. All of the heatsinks are at least 1/3 times larger now. Input cap was a 150uF OST which I replaced with a 220uF Rubycon. The psu had a 4 amp bridge diode so I put in an 8 amp instead. The glue on the original pfc coil is burned. The coil itself looks ok...
    I also replaced some of the caps next to the heatsinks and fit bigger filter coils.
    The total cost was really bargain, I used junk and new stuff I already had on stock. Hope it wasn't wasted

Testing the unit with load gave some issues. The 3.3 rail gets 3.57volts high and there is a slight whining noise. If I adjust the regulation the noise stops but the voltages get too low. I also noticed that the common coil for 5 and 12 Volt gets slightly warm. I was tracking back the 3.3 sense line but couldn't figure out which resistor to adjust to lower the voltage. I'm really curios about ripple so next week I'll take this unit to work and measure the outputs with a scope.
    Attached Files

Re: FSP250-60GEN heatsink mod and tweak

That's awesome! you have it hooked up to a kill a watt to see how far it could go? What kind of protections does it have?

Comment

Gr8!

I would get better caps in the secondary though

The whining may be just normal inductor noise, or it could be an unstable feedback loop.
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
        That's awesome! you have it hooked up to a kill a watt to see how far it could go? What kind of protections does it have?
        It could probably do 250W or more. The protection is handled by the Ps223 and I'll try to mod some adjustable 3.3 rail.

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
        Gr8!

I would get better caps in the secondary though

The whining may be just normal inductor noise, or it could be an unstable feedback loop.
        Yeah those ost caps are a bit risky. Every single one is a 1000uF/16V and they test okay. The diameter 8mm as always in these gln/gly/hen/gen fortons, as far as I know.

This psu also had seperate 0.8Amp 12V output, but I removed that part and now there is an empty space on the pcb.
        I really want to figure if this noise thing is a real problem. I just don't have a scope at home... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
          It could probably do 250W or more. The protection is handled by the Ps223 and I'll try to mod some adjustable 3.3 rail.

Yeah those ost caps are a bit risky. Every single one is a 1000uF/16V and they test okay. The diameter 8mm as always in these gln/gly/hen/gen fortons, as far as I know.

This psu also had seperate 0.8Amp 12V output, but I removed that part and now there is an empty space on the pcb.
          I really want to figure if this noise thing is a real problem. I just don't have a scope at home... yet.
          Use a tube or fat straw to listen to where the sound is coming from, and the straw keeps your ear safely away from HV
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

So, the sound comes from all the chokes There wasn't any before the mod. Maybe I shouldn't have "upgraded" to bigger ones.
            Also I'm going to get a scope soon. I just can't bring stuff to work all the time anymore... kind of.

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
              So, the sound comes from all the chokes There wasn't any before the mod. Maybe I shouldn't have "upgraded" to bigger ones.
              Also I'm going to get a scope soon. I just can't bring stuff to work all the time anymore... kind of.
              Hm, maybe you should upgrade the caps xD
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                Hm, maybe you should upgrade the caps xD
                I did put back the original magamp choke and that fixed a 3.3V issue and the noise too. I won't touch the OST caps for now.
                The pfc coil gets a bit hot according to the probe it's 50-61C degrees. It originally had burned glue on it anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X