Kaleidescape player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaleidescape player

I just got in a Kaleidescape KPlayer-300. It works for the most part, other than randomly rebooting several times a day. I took it apart and it seems to have several bad capacitors which could explain the symptoms. There are 3 2200uf caps that appear to be Panasonic and are slightly bulged. In the third picture, I am holding up a new Panasonic FC cap next to the board. The medium sized 220uf and 330uf caps look like they could be bulging also.

This box runs very hot even though the fans are working. I know this would cause even good caps like Pansonic to degrade over many years. So which caps should I replace? Just the 3 large 2200uf's? Or should I do the medium ones too?
    Attached Files

Re: Kaleidescape player

only because a cap looks from the outside good, doesn't mean it actually is good! You'd have to check all of them using an ESR meter. For me, any cap next to a heat sink would be primary suspect. But you could go and only fix what you know is broken and retest it... up to you...

Comment

Re: Kaleidescape player

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
      only because a cap looks from the outside good, doesn't mean it actually is good! You'd have to check all of them using an ESR meter.
      Hey thanks for the tip! I have been out of the game for a while and have forgotten much. I tested all of the other caps with my CapAnalyser 88a and they seem OK. I used the twist off method to remove the three 2200uf 10v Panasonics. I replaced them with 2200uf 16v FCs that I have laying around. It looks ugly but the box came right back to life. I am running it continuously now to check for spontaneous reboots.

Edit: I looked at a stock picture of an FK cap. It appears raised just like mine were. One could say they look inverted when compared to an FC. So yeah, all that could have been for naught.

Attached Files
      Last edited by bluto; 04-02-2018, 08:43 PM. Reason: New information has come to light...

Comment

Working...
      X