Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement caps for Samwha 10000uf 71va

Hi,

I'm looking for replacement caps for my power amp.

The ones fitted have 4 snap in leads, two are dummy. The make of the caps are-

Samwha 10000uf 71va

The height is roughly 50mm and diameter of 35mm.

I have looked everywhere for similar audio caps but can't find any. Even if the voltage and capacitance is higher as long as the size is roughly the same. Probably can go up to 55mm in height and a larger diameter. The caps are fitted under a heat sink therefore limited in terms of height.

I have tried- Digikey, hifi collective, mouser, RS electronics.

Thanks in advance.

Picture of cap fitted attached.
    Attached Files

Re: Replacement caps for Samwha 10000uf 71va

Try Nichicon LS _10000UF 80V _L50xD35 _partno. LLS1K103MELC

Could be low availability or 'only on order' with an order-time.
    Also try equal Rubycon or NCC/Chemi-Con (85C) standard large-can snap-in caps.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Clutchbox; 11-24-2017, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks.

From the datasheet Nichicon cap only has two leads and the distant between the negative and the positive is 1cm. This isn't going to fit or I'm I missing something? Is there a way to fit this into a 4 lead hole? I've measured from the back side of the board where Samwha capacitor is connected to. The distance between the blank terminals is 2cm and the distant between the positive and negative is 2.3cm roughly.

Also the Samwha capacitor is an audio type, I'm presuming with a low ESR. Can I get away with the ones you have recommended? There wouldn't be any audible difference?

I don't mind paying a little bit more if it gives me sound quality.

Comment

Snap-in capacitors have many different pin configurations.

I did not see Nichicon offer anything beyond two pins. But their catalog shows this for 4-pin parts.
        Is this the size of your Samwha?
        Attached Files

Comment

check out epcos .

Comment

Originally posted by QRIO View Post
            Thanks.

From the datasheet Nichicon cap only has two leads and the distant between the negative and the positive is 1cm. This isn't going to fit or I'm I missing something? Is there a way to fit this into a 4 lead hole? I've measured from the back side of the board where Samwha capacitor is connected to. The distance between the blank terminals is 2cm and the distant between the positive and negative is 2.3cm roughly.
            Maybe there is an extra boardhole to fit the 2 lead version if the designers thought of that? If not you'll need the 4 lead version. Which will be harder to get in low quantity. At this moment I haven't found one at 10000UF 80V. Sometimes capacitor-makers do make custom sizes for their customers so it can be difficult to get exact replacements.
            Do you really need to replace those large can caps?

Also the Samwha capacitor is an audio type, I'm presuming with a low ESR. Can I get away with the ones you have recommended? There wouldn't be any audible difference?

I don't mind paying a little bit more if it gives me sound quality.
            Audio caps mostly are larger in size (and price!) with same capacitance/voltage, they also still are GP/std class. If you can find one that fits the dimensions and comes in the right 4lead version and is sold by the piece...
            Nichicon KS (audiocap) could fit but comes only with the same 2lead (10mm distance) as LS series.

Comment

Mundorf Mlytic have 10000 (80v and100v) 2pin.
              I thought they had 4 pin versions but they are lower uf.

Comment

Redwood,

>Is this the size of your Samwha?

The 4 pin are the ones fitted, but it is difficult to tell the angles between pins. To work out exact ones in the datasheet. I’ve measured the size 50mm by 35mm diameter, but no idea what angles between pins. I think I’ll need to de- solder one to see. In the datasheet the manufacture shows they do them, the problem is finding who stocks them. There are 2 of those caps per channel a total of 10 caps per amp. I’ve got two amps to work through. I thought I’ll sort one first before I start on the second.

Clutchbox,

>Maybe there is an extra boardhole to fit the 2 lead version if the designers thought of that?

Just four holes on the board I’m afraid- distant between blank leads is 2cm roughly and distant between positive and negative is 2.3cm roughly.

>Sometimes capacitor-makers do make custom sizes for their customers so it can be difficult to get exact replacements.

The custom version is the Samwha 10,0000uF 71va, there is no cap with that capacitance and voltage I can see. The 80v version will do.

>Do you really need to replace those large can caps?

I haven’t checked with a ESR meter if they need replacing, the amps are nearly 20 years old. So I though might as well do all electrolytic ones.

Here is a thought if after exploring all capacitor avenues and I can’t find one with the correct leads. Is it possible to create a circular PCB board with 35mm diameter. Solder a 2 lead one on it and solder this to the main board with a further 2 wires in the dummy part on the main board for support. Would this work?

Carm99,

>Mundorf Mlytic have 10000 (80v and100v) 2pin.

I was looking at them, they are roughly £20 per cap expensive but if they did 4 leads (2 dummy) that will be ideal. They do, do 4 lead one but that has two negative and two positive terminals. Which is no good for me.

Do I need to worry about if they are audio caps? Would this effect the sound quality if they are not? The rest of the caps I’m planning in replacing with ELNA Silmic ones, any thoughts on these?
                Last edited by QRIO; 11-25-2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

I saw these aswell on HIFi collective.
                  10000uF 80V Supertech 2T Slit Foil Capacitor.
                  2 lead aswell. A lot cheaper than the Mundorfs, dunno if they're any good though.
                  Im no expert but maybe test the Samwha's first.Do you need to replace with caps with 2 dummy pins.
                  Might be a way around it. Someone on here would be more experienced to tell you. If they're dummy and dont do anything. I dont see why you couldn't use 2 pin.

Comment

Working...
                  X