Caps in vintage receivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caps in vintage receivers

I rebuild quite a few vintage receivers these days, but I'm not sure about the caps I use.

Since I also repair tons of other equipment (mainly computers and TV's), I mostly stock caps such as UCC KY, KZE, KMG, Nichicon PW, HM, Panasonic FC and FM.

I usually use FC for anything in the audio path, but have also used KY, KZE, and KMG.

Is there really any harm in using PSU rated caps in audio circuits, or in old linear power circuits? I've used PW, KY, and LXZ in a couple Marantz power supplies with no issues.

Reason I ask, is I heard somewhere that it's a bad idea to use low impedance caps in certain types of circuits. Is this true?

Re: Caps in vintage receivers

I do not think there would be any issues in using low impedance caps in certain types of circuits.
    In a CCFL driver application in the LT1184 datasheet, the electrolytic capacitor between the ROYER pin and ground needs to have an ESR no lower than 0.5 ohms to prevent damage to the internal LT1184F high side sense resistor.
    Situtations where you have to use an electrolytic of an ESR no lower than a certain value appear to be limited.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
    X