No announcement yet.

Windows 10 and magically hidden files.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10 and magically hidden files.

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
    I would put that down to being a AD feature, blocking apps is something you would be interested in doing in a corporate environment, not on a end-users machine.
    That explains it! Thank you!!!
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
      Spork I wonder if that worked for all versions of IE? My computer is working fine right now and I do not want to possibly cause a problem with it. It is good to know that one can at least turn it off without much effort. Back about 4 years ago when I wanted to turn it off because it keep on failing. It was totally useless to me so my nature is to get rid of baggage. Now I can go out on if without constant failure. I very rarely use it. Actually that was in 2011-2012 when I had just got a laptop with Windows 8 on it. I called Microsoft and asked them if I could turn it back to Windows 7 and they told me they no longer controlled the license for Windows 7 and it would cost me $400 to have them turn it back. I told them I have always bought from Microsoft for the last 10 years. I have a Windows 7 desk sitting right here and I want to run that program on my laptop I just bought and they said you only get one license to your computer. They suggested that I call the person I bought it from that they might help me. I called Tiger Direct and they would offer to sell me and OS for it at $100. This was just the start of my ill feelings toward Microsoft. They then came out with a Windows 8.1 and it came on my machine and it would boot up asking me to upgrade and did not offer any choice to disable or stop it and go on. The computer was useless and every time I press a key I would get a beep. I then went down to the computers in the lobby and started to chat with their service support people as I could not call them or they would charge me. I chatted with their supposed tech for 45 min. He keep on insisting I upgrade and why would I not upgrade if that was the only choice? I in the end told them what they could so with their bleeping OS and that I would never buy from them again. When I got back to my computer I turning it on one last time before I threw it in the garbage and wallah there on the far right hand side it say something to the affect to postpone the installment.
      That's pretty rough, I'm sorry Keeney123. It kinda sucks, but to encourage computer manufacturers / system builders to install Windows on their machines and to be able to let them charge less for their systems, Microsoft offers a cheaper version of their operating systems called OEM. The licensing agreement is something like you can only legally install it on a machine you're building to sell. You can't install it on your own machines and if one of your machines dies, you can't transfer the license to another machine. At least, that's what I was taught and remember.

With the retail version, it generally costs a bit more money but you're allowed to reinstall it on any number of machines I believe, so long as it's not installed (or maybe it's so long as it's not being used) on more than one machine at a time or something like that. I bet Tigerdirect was going to sell you an OEM copy and Microsoft was going to sell you a retail copy. I think the prices for retail have dropped a lot since back in the day so it'd probably be cheaper to buy a retail copy of 7 now versus back then. Sorry you had to throw the PC out. Have you ever thought of running Linux? It's almost always free and there's many, many flavours, each a bit different than the previous one.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        i ripped that shit out in the past.

you need to remove all references to it in the registry, then reboot the machine first.
        then rename / remove the IE folder.

if you dont clean the registry and reboot first, something will lock it so you cant remove it.

as for afterwards, it *will* break the "check for updates" function and spyware / online-registration in some 3rd party programs.
        because they call IE functions in the background because the programmers are lazy bastards!!
        Wouldn't the API's that the programmers are calling actually be dealing with the IE engine, and not actually IE? I thought that was what was meant by the engine was still there, just the app was removed...

Or do you mean the work you're describing involves removing the actual engine and will break stuff? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
          Wouldn't the API's that the programmers are calling actually be dealing with the IE engine, and not actually IE? I thought that was what was meant by the engine was still there, just the app was removed...

Or do you mean the work you're describing involves removing the actual engine and will break stuff? Thanks.
          i dont see much point removing the GUI from a security standpoint - i was talking about removing the entire shit down to the last file.
          Last edited by stj; 07-03-2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

i dont see much point removing the GUI from a security standpoint - i was talking about removing the entire shit down to the last file.
            That makes more sense.

Comment

I did not throw the machine out because they finally allow me to defer getting the 8.1 for another time. I am not a programmer and do not want to be a programmer so that is why I do not have Linux. "All I wanted was to have the Microsoft Original Games, Excel, Word, a simple photo editor, a good anti-virus/malware that is capable of cleaning the register without me having to control how everything is done and of course a moderately fast machine." The only time I have gotten into fixing these machines is either when I am transferring to another machine and something screws up or when some poor person has totally screwed up their machine and can not afford to get it fixed. I feel that a person who knows nothing about a computer except how to go out on the internet, have a email account, how to use Word should be allow to screw up their computer and have to take it to a tech and pay $230 to get it repair when the machine cost $350. I think that a company providing a OS should provide different level of the same OS. So say if you have no knowledge of how a computer runs then one would get a very protected OS that locks out the user from entering into something that will get them in trouble. This could be a bargain basement program. Even with this program I believe it should be allowed to transfer to another machine in case the first breaks down. Then the same OS could have less secure features for people like me who knows how a computer operates but does not want to program the machine to do something other than what it was intended to do but has the ability to control programs if they so choose to do so. This would be a mid level pricing. And lastly the final OS would allow the person to program and change things at will with on restrictions. This would be for you programmers out their that see a better way of doing something. All of the different versions of the same program should have the basic features build into them that I originally wanted in parentheses. Seems to me is that the programmers in Microsoft have run out of ideas for a better system and as a result they are trying to protect their income by making features that were free, cost and allowing the system to screw up and then charging to help one fix the problem which they put into the program. Anyway that is my thought on the subject.
              Last edited by keeney123; 07-04-2016, 12:42 PM.

Comment

i dont know where you get your info, you dont need to be a programmer to run Linux, it's simpler than windows now.

what "original" games are you refering to btw?
                because they have been totally bastardized in the newer windows versions!

Comment

i dont know where you get your info, you dont need to be a programmer to run Linux, it's simpler than windows now.

I think the distro has a lot to do with it. I introduced an older friend of mine to Linux. He downloaded Ubuntu and liked it. He even went through and installed it on his local machine, instead of using it as a live disc. Then he asked what I use. I said one of the distro's I'm running is called OpenSUSE. The other is called Gentoo. He ended up downloading OpenSUSE and gave it a shot. He said he couldn't figure it out.

I think most distro's come with the GNU C compiler and maybe even the GNU C++ compiler, by default. But I think that's mainly because of the open source nature of Linux. The source code is available for just about any program, but you're absolutely right. You don't have to be a coder to use Linux. Heck, as Paul (my older friend) showed, you don't even have to know how PCs work or how to repair them to use it. I installed Slackware when I was in 8th grade.

I think for the games, maybe Keeney123 is referring to Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, Minesweeper, Hearts, stuff like that. That's just my guess.

Comment

well it all exists for Linux - and no nag/bitch/add stuff inserted - unlike win8.
                    so you dont have to pay to disable it - unlike win10!

Comment

4 years ago I tried to download Linux on my Windows 8. I tried to run it beside Windows 8. The first two times I could not even get it to run even thou Window 8 said you could run other operating systems aside of Windows 8. When I finally got the program to come up it was asking me to add so much information into it just to make it do simple things. I want to maintain my programs from Microsoft except the OS. Can your program do that. I like the word, excel, MS Games, Bitdefender, Photo Gallery. I have information stored in these programs. What will happen to those?

Comment

firstly, your initial booting problem was probably "secureboot" in the bios - an M$ abomination.

as for running windows apps - you just install a program called "wine".
                        you wont need most of those programs though - linux has better versions.

the only thing that wont run is the antivirus stuff.
                        it embeds itself in the io.s. and wine wont allow such behavour for security reasons.
                        Linux has no need for them anyway.

if you want to scan files for viruses there are programs though.
                        inc stuff from big company's like sophos.

now as for information stored - back that up.
                        because a Linux install will format the drive usually.

Comment

I think I will keep what I have. When this machine dies then I will try with a new machine. Perhaps they sell new machines with Linux? I disabled the secure boot when I tried to load the Linux 4 years ago it did not matter. And Linux can not run side by side with Window 7? As if I could then I would load if on this machine then load the wine and transfer my data.Then I could try it out and then if I liked it more I would then keep it and get rid of Windows. The problem with changing is that there is never a smooth transition and there is always problems that come up that need to be resolved. I just don't want to play around with it as this computer I am working with I have no problem with. It took me some time to get to this point. If these manufacturers can not present me with a machine that I don't have to troubleshoot to transfer my information and run smoothly then I just will not buy another computer. Life is to short to have to be troubled with something one buys new.

Comment

it can run side-by-side, but i dont recommend it unless your using 2 harddrives.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                              Perhaps they sell new machines with Linux?
                              i dont think they can sell machines bundled with linux as it might violate the gnu license terms. how do u know they didnt charge "extra" for the "free" os? just buy a computer with or without an os (ask for a discount) and just wipe the hard drive and install linux. yay! u now got a spyware-free computer!

Comment

you can supply a computer with Linux as long as it does not include non-GNU/GPL stuff like the nvidia driver /flashplayer without permission and as long as none of the cost is for the o.s.

dell was offering a few, but remember that M$ will take vengence on any company doing such things.
                                it's not good to go against a company founded by a satanist with an obsession with bio-weapons and death.
                                Last edited by stj; 07-05-2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Keeney123,

There's these things called Live Discs that you might want to check out. Keep in mind, there are many distributions (or flavours) of Linux. They're all a little different. That's a good thing. If you don't like one, you can try another one. They all differ in different ways. A lot of people I know personally, in real life, seemed to like Ubuntu when they first switched. There's a live disc for that. You don't actually have to install anything. You download the live disc ISO and burn the ISO to disc using a program like ImgBurn or something. Then you put the disc in your DVD drive and make sure your system is setup to boot off the DVD drive first. If everything went as planned, you'll turn on the PC and see something that isn't Windows...

If you want, you can install it. Some distro's are smart enough to detect Windows I think but I'm not certain on this. I haven't done a dual install in a very long time. To go back to Windows, simply restart the PC, remove the disc from the drive and you go back into Windows.

If you don't like Ubuntu, you could see what else is out there. Just do a search for Linux Live Distro or something. If you decide you want to give it a shot, I bet there'd be a lot of people here willing to help you if you get stuck. I'd be one of them.

Comment

just look here
                                    http://distrowatch.com/

Comment

Thanks Guys I will look into it.

Comment

So I am writing from the Linux desktop. They have improved this a lot in the 4 years since I last tried it. It is running side by side with the Windows 7 64 bit. It can open my excel programs. The games are not able to open. I think I will see if I can find similar games.

Comment

name the games and i'll dig up some links for you.

Comment

Working...
                                          X