Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio TV solder issue

Greetings:

Forgive my ignorance but this is my first attempt at dignosing a possible cap problem in a TV. My experience with capacitors has been in the HVAC industry.

I have a Vizio LCD TV that has a "jumping" picture. The best way I know to describe is it is similar to a rolling horizontal hold problem in a old tube TV. While looking a the backlight inverter board I saw 2 caps that had solder joints that looked like the attached picture. Would anyone venture a guess if this could be related to the picture problem and what causes such an occurence? I have since cleaned the solder joints with alcohol and the problem appears to have cleared up but I am a little concerned still. Is this a sign the caps may be on their way out?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Vizio TV solder issue

I have had 3 Vizio 42 in with those style inverter boards... 1 of them flashed like a strobe light .. replaced caps on master and slave boards fixed it.. Another one had sound no picture and replaced caps on master and slave boards fixed it. 3rd one had Green reflections around images on screen, removed the LVDS cable and cleaned cable ends with eraser and rubbing alcohol fixed it..

Comment

Looks like this "fix" was short lived. It has gone back to jumping around soon after turning it on. Once it heats up it never jumps again. Im stumped.

Comment

That solder job had a little flux residue but looked like it should work fine. Maybe you can find a new main board for this if you look around. Does not sound like a bad cap issue.

Comment

Working...
        X