Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Latitude Cpt PPX not powering up

Dell Latitude C Family Model no. PPX.

No life whatsoever, no lights or sounds.

Tried booting with battery only but suspect its completely had it, tried booting with battery and power adapter, booting with no battery and the power adapter, still no sign of life.

Power adapter known to be good, works on 2 other Dells.
    Batteries will not charge on any of the other Dells, so all batteries knackered.

I have good reason to believe the Cmos battery has had it too as when it last worked it would always want the date and time setting on boot.

I'm sure theres loads of reasons why its not working but where to go from here?

The laptop is of little value and has no personal data that I need to recover but just really want to work out whats wrong.

I intend on stripping it down to see the internal condition and investigate possible causes but your help would be greatly appreciated, I'm surw the order of checking things will aide a quicker conclusion.

Re: Dell Latitude Cpt PPX not powering up

I wondered if perhaps there was a lid switch or sensor that shuts the laptop down when the lid is closed has gone faulty or broken but there is no obvious sign of one. The catch that releases the lid does work but that is all it does.

Comment

Tried powering it up with an led usb mouse and a pcmcia wifi card (with status / activity leds) thinking the lights might briefly flash and show signs of life but no luck!

Comment

ok, so went ahead and stripped it down, bare board i.e no cpu, memory, cmos battery or lcd and still no sign of life. I'm sure it would at least beep or something but I maybe wrong.

Comment

Found the lid open/shut sensor - magnet in lid and sensor on m/b. 4.17v without magnet in close proximity, sinks to 0v when magnet in close proximity.

Comment

No power getting to the LED Sub board other than 4v on pin 2 for 'SWI SUS' which I assume is for a Suspend Switch which this model laptop does not use and I cannot see how it would be operated as there is no switch on the mini pcb nor anything on the chassis or lid etc to activate the cct.

These boards are undoubtedly used in many other laptops and some probably do have a suspend button. But not this one!
            Last edited by notallbad; 09-25-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking I should be looking more closely to the battery connection / charging cct due to the battery being near on if not completely knackered the likelihood is too much current was drawn causing something to short/burn out.

Does this sound more of a plausible reason the laptop has totally died?

Comment

Working...
              X