Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Home Electronics Rescued - Panasonic DVR-320 (2004 Vintage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Home Electronics Rescued - Panasonic DVR-320 (2004 Vintage)

One more notch on the ol' pistol, LOL!

Sat down to watch a DVD this evening and......nothing, Panasonic DVR-320 bites the dust, dead as a nit! Figured it might be related to the storm & power outage we had, turns out it was, sort of.

Went looking for obvious carnage like a blown fuse but no, you know what was lurking inside.

Seems like when they're on their last legs, leaking caps will bite the dust when power is removed for a while, saw that on a monitor too.

So I was lucky enough to have a couple of suitable caps in stock and voila, an hour later, back in business.

So, if you have a Panasonic DVR-220 or 320 (or ??) it's worth checking before heaving it.

PC board proudly says it was made by littlefuse and the 2 blown caps were 3300u @ 10V and 1000u @ 10V.

C152Heavy

Re: More Home Electronics Rescued - Panasonic DVR-320 (2004 Vintage)

I'm certain those blown caps probably weren't Matsushita/Panasonic's own brand or in other words 'Japanese' brand capacitors?

If the apparatus was made in the 90's or earlier, you could bet if it was Panasonic & Made in Japan, it would have the 'all Matsushita Caps' formula. Love those old days of quality...

Comment

Re: More Home Electronics Rescued - Panasonic DVR-320 (2004 Vintage)

Originally posted by Clutchbox View Post
      I'm certain those blown caps probably weren't Matsushita/Panasonic's own brand or in other words 'Japanese' brand capacitors?

If the apparatus was made in the 90's or earlier, you could bet if it was Panasonic & Made in Japan, it would have the 'all Matsushita Caps' formula. Love those old days of quality...
      I meant to say that the date on the manual said 2004 so not quite the '90s... Speaking of old tech/quality, the next thing up in the video stack is a 1986 VCR that just keeps on ticking........

The power conversion board is clearly a different manufacturer than the rest, single side & all but a couple components through hole vs. the fine pitch SMD on the other two, the "brains" of the unit.

If I recall correctly the caps were Elna.

C152Heavy
      Last edited by C152Heavy; 09-23-2014, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X