Odd power issue related to bad caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd power issue related to bad caps?

I just posted a couple of pics of the bad caps on my EP-8RGA+ here.

Since last week, possibly when the caps vented, the board has been having an odd power problem. My system had always been running 24/7, but a few days ago I had to cut power to it from the power supply to install a new card. When I was done installing the card, I switched the power supply back on and pressed the power button. Nothing. The mobo was totally ignoring the power-on button. I switched the power supply off and back on, tried again, same thing.

I shoved my multimeter's leads into the ATX power connector to see if the mobo was taking the power supply's PS-ON line (green wire) down, and it wasn't. I switched off the power supply, unplugged the connector, shorted the PS-ON line by hand, switched it on, et voilà, the power supply was working fine.

I switched the power supply off again, plugged the connector into the motherboard, switched on the PSU, and pressed the power button. Again, nothing. I unplugged the power connector, plugged it in again (all of this with the PSU's switch in the on position), pressed the power button... and the box POSTed.

After repeating the above a few times to make sure, I figured out exactly when this would happen: If the mobo stops receiving power from the PSU (e.g. by switching off the PSU or unplugging the power cord), it will ignore the power button if power is restored with the power connector plugged in. For the mobo to start the PSU after a power failure, the ATX power connector has to be unplugged and plugged back in with the PSU's switch in the on position. BTW, I tried another power supply and the behavior was identical.

I didn't notice any bulging caps that day, but they may have already been there, or they may have already been failing yet not bulging.

Questions: Does this problem look capacitor-related? Would recapping the mobo (which I'm going to do ASAP) be likely to fix this problem permanently, or could something else have been damaged as a result of the bad caps?

I'll greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks!
    Nick

My Asus A7V8X-X motherboard with my Antec True 430 power supply had the same symptom after a power failure occured, then the power being restored afterwards. Thus the likelyhood of faulty capacitors being the cause of the symptom is low.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Wow, it's been so long that I totally forgot about this. I ended up replacing the capacitors on that mobo and that fixed the odd power button behavior. I ebayed that mobo a few days later. I now get ABIT mobos only, which always use quality Japanese capacitors.
      Nick

Comment

Working...
      X