Where is EEPROM in Samsung HM060HC HDD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is EEPROM in Samsung HM060HC HDD?

Hi, I have a Samsung HM060HC that gets recognized by BIOS as a "CAMSENG HM 6 HC" drive at 60GB
    Windows sees just a 5.91GB RAW partition...

I bought a new BF41-00100A PCB for it and I was not expecting the swap to work, because I've tried this in the past and it did not...
    Drive is not even recognized with the new PCB...

But I can't identify the EEPROM, I know I need to transfer it to the new PCB I bought. I guess it's in either the Marvell chip or the TLS2502
    I found also a service manual, it's not for the exact same drive but very similar, but the block diagram showing the "Internal flash ron" (sic) just has me scratching my head...

I attached some pictures of my drive, plus the service manual...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 02-01-2013, 04:49 PM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Re: Where is EEPROM in Samsung HM060HC HDD?

my guess is the 88I6525, since it has the internal rom, but from the sounds of it, it seems like the chip is dead. I would be wary of moving the chip over and having the same problem appear on the new board. It also looks like a BGA chip.
    Last edited by Mad_Professor; 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Yea the Marvell is a BGA chip.
      I've had a similar issue with another HDD, bought a new PCB and then it was no longer recognized at all.
      And then when I transferred the original EEPROM to the new PCB the drive just behaved exactly like it did with the original PCB, so the error was in the EEPROM
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Try to ask over at HDDGuru, seems to be a few smart guys over there - they do a lot of work just like this.

Comment

Working...
        X