Acer Aspire 5920 no power, ticking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer Aspire 5920 no power, ticking sound

Plug in a charger, and look for warm, or hot spots. It can be anywhere on board. I think, it would be a simple CAP. If it is in a cap cluster, i mean one of parellel caps, just pick it out from your board, and try. If it boot up, dont care about the missing one, it would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by alexeistukov View Post
      Plug in a charger, and look for warm, or hot spots. It can be anywhere on board. I think, it would be a simple CAP. If it is in a cap cluster, i mean one of parellel caps, just pick it out from your board, and try. If it boot up, dont care about the missing one, it would be fine.
      I shall try that again, though from what I recall, there are no hot spots to give away a faulty component.
      Wattevah...

Comment

You have stable 5V on the +5VPCU line?
        You have 0V on the +3VPCU line? Not even slightly going up?
        What voltage do you get on pin 14 and 27 of PU7?
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Ok, let us review this because I made some mistakes.
          Turns out I DO get both 5v AND 3.3v on those two red caps I pictured up close near the bottom of the board where the LEDs are. The 3.3v one is perfectly stable, but the 5v one seems to droop slightly every time it clicks.
          Pins 14 and 27 read 5v each.
          I also noticed another thing: PD3 on page 32 only has 18v on one side (the one connected to the jack). The "cathode side" is dead...
          Last edited by Dannyx; 01-16-2018, 06:09 AM.
          Wattevah...

Comment

UPDATE: I bridged PD3 with a pair of tweezers and the lights came on....hopefully that's it. If not, something else got busted. I shall attempt a complete power-on with the cpu and graphics module on.....hopefully they won't get exploded...
            Wattevah...

Comment

I replaced PD3 with a piece of wire and the laptop is now working...not ideally though, because it power-cycles 4-5 times before finally staying on, so something is not quite right there. Other than that, everything else works perfectly, so I guess I could live with this, but it makes me wonder what's causing it and whether installing a proper diode instead of that wire would solve it....
              Wattevah...

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
                I replaced PD3 with a piece of wire and the laptop is now working...not ideally though, because it power-cycles 4-5 times before finally staying on, so something is not quite right there. Other than that, everything else works perfectly, so I guess I could live with this, but it makes me wonder what's causing it and whether installing a proper diode instead of that wire would solve it....
                56k modem module is installed ? that's looks like the problem now

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                  56k modem module is installed ? that's looks like the problem now
                  *facepalm* No, it is not. I purposely removed it thinking it's useless....which it is, but......ARE YOU SERIOUS ?! THE BLOODY MODEM'S CAUSING THAT ?! How'd u guess/know ? :| Luckily I didn't throw it away...it's still on my bench somewhere...
                  Wattevah...

Comment

Also, the bluetooth module I installed, which is the thing that actually caused this whole adventure in the first place is pretty useless, because while it does work it can't stream music apparently....I installed it thinking I could pair a bluetooth speaker I had lying around, but turns out it can't, so on the plus side, the laptop is working - on the downside, this was a colossal waste of time....
                    Wattevah...

Comment

so notebook is 100% fixed now ? a part replace pd3 with a new one.

readed about that thing somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                        so notebook is 100% fixed now ? a part replace pd3 with a new one.

readed about that thing somewhere
                        I haven't put back the modem yet, so hopefully that's causing those power-cycles. Other than that, yes, the laptop is fully functional.
                        Wattevah...

Comment

You were right: the modem was the issue - I reinstalled it and it works from the first go now WTH ?!
                          Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                          X