This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Props to TopHat and crew for an amazing website, now off to see if I can get help for my Vizio E291-A1 white light but no picture problem. Will search first, and fix later..
    Thanks, all,
    G

Comment

Hi my na
      Originally posted by petabyte View Post
      As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
      So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
      where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
      Hi my name is Circuitworks and I'm a technician just trying to increase my
      knowledge on Tv and computer repairs and looking foward to being a part of this forum.

Comment

Hi my name is Circuitworks and I'm a technician just trying to increase my
        knowledge on Tv and computer repairs and looking foward to being a part of this forum

Comment

Yet another person trying to repair a tv. Ill have a go at repairing anything and most of the time i manage to do it. Sometimes you just need a little help from your friends!

Comment

Hi my name is AlGarcia. I'm not a technician, but i work repairing TVs, computers and many other things. I'm trying to increase my
            knowledge on Tv and computer, and now I need some information from this site...so i put this message.

Comment

Hello Bad Caps Forum!! I've joined at the recommendation of Pentium4! Personally I've never done anything with component level hardware repair. Pentium4 has introduced me into this whole new world of capacitors and bringing the once thought dead electronics to life again!

I don't have a main machine to brag about, rather I have a ton (too many) machines. All of which are too many to describe here and now so that's for another day/post. I work as a Technician for a managed service company in good ole Mt. Vernon WA. My hobby with computing is leaning anything/everything about Linux, mainly utilizing Linux servers in a Windows environment. Glad to be a part of the forum and I'm ready to never stop learning!

Comment

Hello everyone,
                My name is John, I am new to the forum and to the TV repair world.
                I am from Florida, originally from NY. I've lived here for 20+ years.
                I started repairing tv by accident. I have an old RCA tv that shut off on me one night in the middle of a good movie(I was devastated ) so I did some research and found the thE caps go bad after some time for what ever the reason. So I looked at youtube and other sites, long story short I replaced them and been watching the it for a long time.
                so I have fixed a couple more for friends and so on. Now I hope to learn alot more as it is very interesting to me.
                Thank you for your time.
                p.s. I am a cabinet builder/installer not a tv repairer (lol)

Comment

Hi all, I'm Stuart. Just joining to try to fix a few dead boards (Macbook Pro A1278, 2011, and a Lenovo G570) I have and make use of the knowledge here. Seems I've been unlucky with boards lately and am hoping to change that.

Comment

Hi there!

Great seeing a hardware hacker community.
                    I myself have a TV that's dead by broken software and hope someone can provide me with some Information.

Cheers everyone!

Comment

Hello repair techs and EEV'ers I'm Cliff and this my 1st time on the forum. I've replaced lots of badcaps in the past on PC's but now find LCD TV's limping into my home shop. My wife complains over the space they take and well, if I can't fix 'em.. I'm off to the couch!

I'll add for Spanish speakers: La esposa mía es una Cubana con sangre caliente y sí, ese añada calor, pero toda no es a mi favor!

Comment

Hello, I'm not a robot

Comment

Hi everybody,
                          my name is Checo, I'm from California My hobby is to try to repair electronics something that I really enjoy doing. Thanks for accepting me in this community.

Comment

Hello folks, I'm Gary from Wauchope, NSW Australia.
                            My background is in fire protection(fire alarm systems etc).
                            I run a small business that services an area for 200km up and down the coast.
                            I suspect I'm a bit older than most users on the site(61), and sometimes find myself on steep learning curves.
                            The sun is shining here. Went for a swim this morning, both the ocean and air are 20 degrees C.
                            Gary

Comment

hi im james thanks for having me

Comment

Hello, we are a store in Spain, two years ago we started to repair notebooks at component level and i have found this forum and it seems very interesting.
                                Congratulations for your good job
                                Alan

Comment

Hello

Comment

Hello,

My name is Graham Leach and I'm pleased to be a new member.

Comment

Greetings...have an abundance of 'tossed' tv's available. Have some limited knowledge of repairs but always need help as I do not now have the electronic tools/equipment for proper testing. Will need guidance!

Comment

I guess I am really late to the dance here, but,........ WOW! So much help in this site. I just had a little question about an old plasma display, and fell waaaay in to these posts.

I'm the guy that everyone, (and I do mean everyone) brings their broken stuff to, and asks, "can you fix this"?
                                        I am sure I am talking to, hundreds of people who can say that exact thing!

To all involved,.......Hello from Hermosa Beach, CA!

Comment

Hello! Looking for help with my Visio TV

Comment

Working...
                                          X