Zener Diodes Always Fail Shorted. NOT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zener Diodes Always Fail Shorted. NOT.

I found a simple self-oscillating class D amplifier schematic and built it on a stripboard. Despite the ugly layout it works (quite well i must add), and although i was expecting higher output before distortion for the given rail voltage, it seems like this topology "runs out of modulation" earlier than a clocked design, and certainly earlier than a class AB amp, and i can always use higher voltage rails when i design the final PSU. And things are certainly going to improve with a proper PCB anyway.

I was adding a couple more bypass capacitors to the driver circuit and i shorted something, as i popped the fuse when i plugged the thing in. I replaced the fuse with a lightbulb and proceeded to troubleshoot the unit, i found the short and cleared it. However, after i did this i was getting about 2/3 the power output, and the output transistors would get hot. As they always sat at room temp before (that's the main point of class D isn't it), there was clearly something wrong.

There are two back-to-back zeners that limit the voltage swing to the mosfet gates. On the top mosfet one of them was shorted. I replaced it, but the problem persisted. Upon additional testing, the other zener was found OPEN! After the second zener has been replaced the amp works fine again. And zeners are commonly used as overvoltage protection devices since they are "guaranteed" to die shorted. Wonder what would happen when your overvoltage protector fails open...
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Zener Diodes Always Fail Shorted. NOT.

it is rare but it does happen , zeners can go into something other than the shorted mode .
    just like "regular" rectifiers ... i have seen them in both modes although the ratio is about 99:1 .
    bjts make things a little more interesting ... i have seen them with CE leakage but the BE and BC checked ok .

Comment

I had a fuse go open resistance once on a cheap 5.1 audio amp with subwoofer the filament vaporized against the glass tube and the conductive metal acted as a bridge between the two metal contact caps. So the fuse actually became a resistor. I was getting a lower than normal voltage out of the transformer so the amp wasn't working but the power LED was dim.

Of course the fuse was heatshrunk on a transformer secondary lead so I didn't check it till I ruled everything else out since I didn't want to take the time to cut it open. You usually think if you have power the fuse is ok.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-29-2011, 07:05 PM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I can now safely say that i blew up this circuit in every way imaginable. I've shot the comparator now, and it happens that i don't have a spare. It'll have to wait until tomorrow. Well, at least i got to know it well enough to know what blows.

Circuit is attached in case anyone wants to take a look.
        Attached Files
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
        X