X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: asus p4c800 filter cap recapping question

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    ^ Good info.

My Dell Optiplex 170L has ICH5, but I've never had those issues. I guess Dell grounded the front USB ports properly. That said, I do also have a GX270 motherboard and front header connector, but no case for it. So I will keep this in mind and make sure to ground everything.
    That issue affected mostly ASUS boards and unfortunately, in some instances, the Dell Optiplex GX270. It would be difficult to say which models are affected because Intel later increased the ESD protection of the ICH5 steppings. And some USB devices are in violation of safety standards because they don't include the metal housing on the connector. And I have a D845PEBT2 that has ICH4, never had that issue either, but I realized a few months ago that the front ports were never grounded to anything, so they were relying on the shielded connectors to "shunt" the ESD to the "ground".

I find that southbridge failures usually arise from three issues:

1) Lack of ESD protection
    2) +5VSB overshoot, and cheap power supplies that lack the proper protection circuitry for the +5V and +3.3V outputs.
    3) Bad RoHS BGA solder.

Comment

one of the ICH series has a fucked design that slowly burns the internal usb resistors - intel knows about it.
      there is stuff on the website about it.
      it has nothing to do with grounding.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        one of the ICH series has a fucked design that slowly burns the internal usb resistors - intel knows about it.
        there is stuff on the website about it.
        it has nothing to do with grounding.
        Which ICH series is it?

Comment

Working...
        X