some dead capacitors in a 9v 2.6A power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: some dead capacitors in a 9v 2.6A power supply

I know, and most of the ones I found are 1000 uF per 16 V. There's a new Rubycon series with 1200/16 D10x16, but it "only" has 5000 hours endurance. And I am afraid the availability is still bad. I just have some D8x20 pieces on order as early adopter of this series.
    Last edited by Behemot; 03-05-2017, 04:53 AM.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
      I know, and most of the ones I found are 1000 uF per 16 V. There's a new Rubycon series with 1200/16 D10x16, but it "only" has 5000 hours endurance. And I am afraid the availability is still bad. I just have some D8x20 pieces on order as early adopter of this series.
      The caps i'm looking at say they have a load life 105c 4000 to 10000 hours.

And i don't think i need 1200uf caps if the old caps are all 1000uf.

And i don't like putting "experimental caps" into power supply's that i'm expecting to run 24/7.
      I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Ah, I've overlooked, thought the original ones were 1200

what's experimental
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

If they are a newer line then i don't want to use them yet.

Comment

Comment

Comment

don't worry too much about a newer line from a good brand. I always get Panasonic, Nichicon or Rubycon from Digikey... Anything I've repaired cap related with them 3 brands hasn't come back yet.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                  don't worry too much about a newer line from a good brand. I always get Panasonic, Nichicon or Rubycon from Digikey... Anything I've repaired cap related with them 3 brands hasn't come back yet.
                  Just a bit paranoid about new lines.

Comment

And how much old is not a "new line"? Five years? Ten years?
                    Last edited by Behemot; 03-05-2017, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                      And how much old is not a "new line"? Five years? Ten years?
                      Maybe five years as long as i don't hear about any blowing up prematurely.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                        Maybe five years as long as i don't hear about any blowing up prematurely.
                        Want some CapXon?
                        https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...c2103eb0e1.pdf

KF is the only series I know for sure with my own evidence that lasts without issue. Can be found in Behringer amplifiers and powered pa mixers.
                        Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
                          Want some CapXon?
                          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...c2103eb0e1.pdf

KF is the only series I know for sure with my own evidence that lasts without issue. Can be found in Behringer amplifiers and powered pa mixers.
                          I don't like to use capxon for power supply's because you know what happened in the early 2000's...

I have a capxon GL 220uf 10v cap that did not die.
                          Last edited by RukyCon; 03-05-2017, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I don't like to use capxon for power supply's because you know what happened in the early 2000's...

I have a capxon GL 220uf 10v cap that did not die.
                            I've got a TON of CapXon KFs, literally every cap in a pair of Mackie 18's and everything Behringer is that series of cap, except for the high voltage ones. They seem to be a good cap.
                            Popcorn.

Comment

I've got a TON of CapXon KFs, literally every cap in a pair of Mackie 18's and everything Behringer is that series of cap, except for the high voltage ones. They seem to be a good cap.
                              Who knows maybe CapXon is a good brand now.

Tho i'm still wondering if CapXon GL is a good line or somehow the capacitor i had salvaged got lucky and did not die.

I got the CapXon cap from a dead gateway PSU.

Comment

Who knows maybe CapXon is a good brand now.

Tho i'm still wondering if CapXon GL is a good line or somehow the capacitor i had salvaged got lucky and did not die.

I got the CapXon cap from a dead gateway PSU.
                                Isn't GL that really slim gold and green series? If so, I've pulled those out of Dell XPS power supplies that've failed. The KF series would make a fine replacement to that series, as it's low ESR and long life.

Also, I don't blame you for not trusting new series caps, we've seen it happen before with UCC, even if not with Nichicon or the others, I wouldn't blame you for not trusting it. I know Sprague's quality has gone down a bit, I have some 1000uF rated ones and they only read in the 800s .

What're you gonna do in the end, you never know these days. Even with japanese manufacturers, everybody wants things cheaper and cheaper, and if that's gonna happen then that's what we're gonna get, even from japanese manufacturing.

I opened up a 170$ Hamilton Beach coffee maker the other day that was only 5 years old at best, it had two "LScon" capacitors, now they weren't the problem, but that's just sad for a coffee maker. Also the problem was that it had a MASSIVE hole somewhere inside of it up towards the top of the tank that would just let out all the water it wanted whenever it felt like it.

But in the end, my point is that we better get used to seeing more shit caps in expensively made products as people don't wanna pay those prices anymore.
                                Popcorn.

Comment

Isn't GL that really slim gold and green series? If so, I've pulled those out of Dell XPS power supplies that've failed. The KF series would make a fine replacement to that series, as it's low ESR and long life.

Also, I don't blame you for not trusting new series caps, we've seen it happen before with UCC, even if not with Nichicon or the others, I wouldn't blame you for not trusting it. I know Sprague's quality has gone down a bit, I have some 1000uF rated ones and they only read in the 800s .

What're you gonna do in the end, you never know these days. Even with japanese manufacturers, everybody wants things cheaper and cheaper, and if that's gonna happen then that's what we're gonna get, even from japanese manufacturing.

I opened up a 170$ Hamilton Beach coffee maker the other day that was only 5 years old at best, it had two "LScon" capacitors, now they weren't the problem, but that's just sad for a coffee maker. Also the problem was that it had a MASSIVE hole somewhere inside of it up towards the top of the tank that would just let out all the water it wanted whenever it felt like it.

But in the end, my point is that we better get used to seeing more shit caps in expensively made products as people don't wanna pay those prices anymore.
                                  GL is more of a reddish brown in color and it was not that slim.
                                  But i do have a CapXon cap somewhere that fits that description.

I have a 30v power supply that's all NEWCON capacitors and an other 30v power supply that's all K.T capacitors AND an other 30v power supply [this time from HP] that's all THACON capacitors.

Now the K.T and NEWCON ones i'm looking into getting new capacitors for the HP one has a bottom PCB to make sure that you can't replace ANY of the components.

I find it sad that more and more companies are using crapcaps in expensive electronics [for the price you would assume they would be able to squeeze a few japanese capacitors in.]

EDIT: By the way where did you get all of your CapXon KF capacitors.
                                  Last edited by RukyCon; 03-06-2017, 12:53 AM.

Comment

this doesnt seem to be a high power psu. the output is around 23w max. so even with "experimental" caps, there is not a lot to go wrong. what is it powering anyway? and is it replaceable if the psu fries it?

do note that japanese brands have very strict QC compared with the taiwanese or chinese. the mistakes that chemicon and nichicon made are the exception not the rule.

and the only non-japanese brands i'm okay with are samxon and elna. capxon, teapo and ost are on my boycott list. never had a good working product with those caps. i had a psu with capxon KF caps killing an asus a8v mobo of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                                      this doesnt seem to be a high power psu. the output is around 23w max. so even with "experimental" caps, there is not a lot to go wrong. what is it powering anyway? and is it replaceable if the psu fries it?

do note that japanese brands have very strict QC compared with the taiwanese or chinese. the mistakes that chemicon and nichicon made are the exception not the rule.

and the only non-japanese brands i'm okay with are samxon and elna. capxon, teapo and ost are on my boycott list. never had a good working product with those caps. i had a psu with capxon KF caps killing an asus a8v mobo of mine.
                                      1 I'm expecting to run this board 24/7

2 As long as the line is over 5 years old and has little to no reports of premature failure, then i might use them.

3 with OST
                                      It's one of the few chinese brands i had good experience with.
                                      For example: i had a tivo power supply fail and all of the capxon caps were dead but all of the OST caps somehow survived [note: all of the OST caps were output caps NOT HV input caps.]
                                      And i had a gateway power supply fail and all of the OST caps were also good [so was a capxon cap somehow...]
                                      And maybe some Ltec caps.
                                      And i would only use them if i could not use any of the japanese brands.
                                      4 I don't know what you mean by "i had a psu with capxon KF caps killing an asus a8v mobo of mine" i don't know if you mean it in a good way or a bad way.
                                      [i'm guessing in a bad way.]

Comment

GL is more of a reddish brown in color and it was not that slim.
                                        But i do have a CapXon cap somewhere that fits that description.

I have a 30v power supply that's all NEWCON capacitors and an other 30v power supply that's all K.T capacitors AND an other 30v power supply [this time from HP] that's all THACON capacitors.

Now the K.T and NEWCON ones i'm looking into getting new capacitors for the HP one has a bottom PCB to make sure that you can't replace ANY of the components.

I find it sad that more and more companies are using crapcaps in expensive electronics [for the price you would assume they would be able to squeeze a few japanese capacitors in.]

EDIT: By the way where did you get all of your CapXon KF capacitors.
                                        In a behringer powered pa mixer which is the one that had the most, there were about 20 of them, 25v 1000uF on EACH channel to filter the incoming power. I'd get a pic if I didn't have the thing burried away.

Also, "THACON"?. I'd love to see those.

Edit: Another thing I'm surprised about is that we haven't seen the "Pchicon" brand in anything yet. http://www.pchicon.com/en/product/

They're extremely common on the online trading world, and usually have a lot of sales.

Edit2: They're in newer LED lights, if we see a mass failure if in ceiling LED lights and potentially some bulbs, it's probably gonna be these guys.
                                        Last edited by jazzie366; 03-06-2017, 06:56 AM.
                                        Popcorn.

Comment

That's why I don't buy overpriced chit anymore. Either I buy it on sale or not at all. Who would want to pay for a high priced item only to find out later that there is Chinese crap inside? The problem is that this is also happening with some brands that were trusted before.

Comment

Working...
                                          X