HP DV6 issue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP DV6 issue ?

In my motherboard, that have a bad GPU chip, I read in diode mode: 0.99 - 1 on pad 1 (see image) and 0.001 on pad 2. since after you have removed PL12 , the short remain, probably one of these mosfet (pq25-24-60-61) are in short or PU13 is damaged. To investigate, remove one by one these mosfets.
    Start from PQ25 and repeat the reading in diode mode where you have reading 0.006 V (pad 1 on the pictures) post result. If the short remain remove PQ24 if the short remain remove PQ60 if the short remain remove PQ61 At this point the short should be disappears and we can consider to replace mosfet or remove all circuit related VGA power.
    Attached Files

Comment

PC122 PC120 PC121 is short, 10.8 Ohm

Comment

I removed PQ25

PL12 value, red probe to the ground diode mode:
        ====
        PL12 1 = 0.004V
        PL12 2 = 0.112V

Comment

I had removed all the mosfet, the reading is still
          0.002V and 0.878V on PL12,

PU13 is short do you reckon ? thanks

Comment

It's strange, we focused on a short on the vga line,
            if the PC starts up, there may not be a short on VIN.
            As described in the figure, remove PU13 and measure on PQ25, measure again (but at this point it does not matter) on PL12.
            Report measure in both mode, diode and resistence.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jasko_jacker; 08-08-2019, 04:44 AM.

Comment

ok will do, PQ25,24,60,61 have been removed...

Comment

now after turn on, the led on the button is on and off, on and off....

Comment

Pu13 removed
                  Pq25-26-60-61 removed
                  Short on vin (measure on pq25) ?
                  If on pq25 there isn't a short it should be remain on

Comment

Here's the value I got after PU13,PQ25,26,60,61 are gone

PL12 Pin 1
                    Ohm OL
                    Diode OL

, Pin 2
                    Ohm 6.9 Ohm
                    Diode 0.004V

I haven't finished converting all the setting to UMA, does it matter on short issue ?
                    I reckon it doesn't ?

Comment

PL12 is isolated and without pu13 and without pu13 it is normal that there is no short ,
                      we must see if the VIN line is in order, take a reading on pq25 as I indicated in the pic at post #45 (at the point indicated by the arrow)
                      This type of motherboard (regardless of the conversion to uma) should power on also without GPU (VGA) . if not there is another problem.
                      Tell me whats happen if you push the power button.
                      If the motherboard remain stable in S0 state (full run) we can try to complete the conversion.
                      Last edited by jasko_jacker; 08-09-2019, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
                        It's strange, we focused on a short on the vga line,
                        if the PC starts up, there may not be a short on VIN.
                        As described in the figure, remove PU13 and measure on PQ25, measure again (but at this point it does not matter) on PL12.
                        Report measure in both mode, diode and resistence.
                        Diode mode = OL
                        Resistance =6.2 M Ohm

I tested with bulb safety on power line (main 220V) and the charger,
                        I got short, but isn't it ok ?

Fan begins starting but my bulb (100W) is on very bright saying there's a short in main (220V) then it's off again but may be because I'm using 100W and it needs more than 100W to run ?

I haven't tested without bulb, just in case it will make a short on main and my circuit breaker will off...

Comment

Did you try to heat up the GPU chip with hot air station before attempting modifications? Easiest way to tell a GPU problem. AMD chips react to heat in a way that makes them briefly work again.

Comment

From the answers you give me, I understand that you are not familiar with this type of repair. It takes a lot of patience to repair and it's not easy to give you advice without having the motherboard in front of me. When I try to give an help, for me it's important that the person understands what we are doing as this is the purpose of this forum
                            The power supply is a switching type and is totally isolated from 220v. if there were a short that affects the power supply, it would go into protection for a few minutes.
                            So, if we want to know how much the motherboard absorbs or we insert a ammeter in series or we use a bench power supply. However, one motherboard uses many different voltages, all coming from 19 V or from battery ( and managed by step down converters.
                            We can divide the voltages into two parts, those that must always be present and appeared in sequence when we insert the power supply (3v and 5v always etc.) And that can be measured even if the card does not start and the other voltages that appear after the power button is pushed. All the work we did was aimed at isolating the video card from the rest, because from the measurements you posted, it was in short. If there isn't a short on the PQ25 as I told you, then we isolated the video card. This does not mean that we have solved all the problems on the card. Is the card currently turned on when the power button is pressed? If it turns off immediately afterwards, there are other tests to do. if you have removed or modified other components, tell me which ones.
                            What tools are you using to unsolder the components? do you have a lens or microscope?

Comment

Well said@jasko_jacker. Its very difficult to advise without physically having the board in hand and if someone cant follow the advise or get the clues from advise, then it becomes double whammy.

Comment

From the answers you give me, I understand that you are not familiar with this type of repair. It takes a lot of patience to repair and it's not easy to give you advice without having the motherboard in front of me. When I try to give an help, for me it's important that the person understands what we are doing as this is the purpose of this forum
                                The power supply is a switching type and is totally isolated from 220v. if there were a short that affects the power supply, it would go into protection for a few minutes.
                                So, if we want to know how much the motherboard absorbs or we insert a ammeter in series or we use a bench power supply. However, one motherboard uses many different voltages, all coming from 19 V or from battery ( and managed by step down converters.
                                We can divide the voltages into two parts, those that must always be present and appeared in sequence when we insert the power supply (3v and 5v always etc.) And that can be measured even if the card does not start and the other voltages that appear after the power button is pushed. All the work we did was aimed at isolating the video card from the rest, because from the measurements you posted, it was in short. If there isn't a short on the PQ25 as I told you, then we isolated the video card. This does not mean that we have solved all the problems on the card. Is the card currently turned on when the power button is pressed? If it turns off immediately afterwards, there are other tests to do. if you have removed or modified other components, tell me which ones.
                                What tools are you using to unsolder the components? do you have a lens or microscope?
                                I tested without bulb, and it's on then off and it's on and off repeated,
                                there's another short I suppose, I need to check other voltage...
                                I used blow solder to remove the components, yes I have lens and microscope, which component should I check ?

What voltage should I check next ?

I have experience shorting 5V on ATX power supply and breaking the high voltage transistor, that's why I used bulb for short protection, just in case..

Comment

Ok,
                                  as soon as possible I send you a photo with the voltages to check

Comment

Ok,
                                    as soon as possible I send you a photo with the voltages to check
                                    Ok Please let me know, and which page is it on the schematic ?
                                    thanks

Comment

Any clues ? thanks
                                      Which one is always on and must be available before I push the turn on button ?
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by bianchi77; 08-11-2019, 02:54 AM.

Comment

I think the problem is after the power button is pushed, before the
                                        other voltages we still control the voltages referred to the video chip, check PL37 1.8V_VGA as always in diode and resistance mode.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

I think the problem is after the power button is pushed, before the
                                          other voltages we still control the voltages referred to the video chip, check PL37 1.8V_VGA as always in diode and resistance mode.
                                          ok, it's L37 isn't it,
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X