Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG 47LN575V suspect bad LEDS - what spec LEDS can I replace with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 47LN575V suspect bad LEDS - what spec LEDS can I replace with?

Hi all.
    My LG 47LN575V decided to die last night. Suddenly went black but sound carried on. Trying to turn off/on see a brief flash of the 'LG' logo bootup screen then back to black screen.

TV is ~3 years old.

The 'flashlight' test reveals the picture IS still there, so it's definitely related to the backlight, and my research indicates these are very prone to this being caused by LED failure.

Now, I've read up and found a few videos about checking these LEDS - either by testing the whole strip with a 24V source or by checking LEDs individually with a 3V or just under source... I'm pretty confident that I can diagnose any busted LEDS, but replacement strips seem a bit hard to come by and really rather expensive (I'm in the UK).

how feasible/sensible is it to simply swap out the damaged LEDS, and if I do what rating LED should I replace them with? if I couldn't get hold of an appropriate LED, could I get away with just soldering a resistor or something in place (and accept the not-too-great backlight civerage of course) - I've seen people saying they've successfully just soldered some wire in place to fix this where the LED has failed open, but of course that's going to hasten the demise of the remaining ones so I'd rather not do that approach.

My level of skill? I've successfully brought various things back to life by replacing failed caps (a PC motherboard, an old LCD TV, a sky+ PVR box) so I can use a soldering iron - although I'd be the first to admit I'm no professional. I have a very very basic knowledge of electronics and own a meter so I can check continuity and voltages etc., but I can't design circuits or necessarily diagnose them beyond playing "spot the burnt bit or bulging cap".

so... can I replace the LEDS myself, should I? and what should I replace them with?

Thanks

Re: LG 47LN575V suspect bad LEDS - what spec LEDS can I replace with?

check eBay item number 252529898655 for an easy way to repair defective LEDs

Comment

Well... good lord. That's an incredibly precise, to the point and helpful reply.

I'd had a quick look on ebay for the strips, but didn't realise someone had created such a quick and easy kit.

Thanks!

Comment

I have been selling these kit all over the EU for along time.makes replacing LEDs an easy DIY repair

Comment

Bought the kit, found I actually had 2 LEDs dead - one was failed open, the other closed. TV now working great again, so thanks!

Only very minor gripe with the kit is that the supplied flying leads weren't long enough - I needed another inch or so on the negative lead to reach a suitable solder/test point (the -ve trace close enough to the LED was really thin, but a few inches along was huge). I just had to solder a bit of extra wire on, so no real problem.

The only other issue I have is that my wife was looking forward to a new TV....

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and comments, perhaps giving your wife the money you saved to spend on herself, would put things right. Turn down the back light setting in the menu,that should save you from any more LEDs failing the way of the other two
            Flocko

Comment

Originally posted by flocko View Post
              Thanks for the feedback and comments, perhaps giving your wife the money you saved to spend on herself, would put things right. Turn down the back light setting in the menu,that should save you from any more LEDs failing the way of the other two
              Flocko
              Flocko that is an awesome idea. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but i talked myself out of it.. I have a ton of LED strips just laying around waiting for the right TV.
              Craigslist Picks & Fixes

2 ea - Samsung 52"
              Samsung 60"

Comment

Thanks 102mm All the LEDs in my kits are new,coming from new in box sets that are transit damaged. with the rate of fail that we are seeing , and the number of different strips being fitted (makes/ Model +size) I think they fill a need in the diy market for a low cost easy repair. I will be bringing more LED types to my listing. I sell to all over the EU and in good numbers. I am sure the US would be a good market also for you

Comment

Thanks 102mm All the LEDs in my kits are new,coming from new in box sets that are transit damaged. with the rate of fail that we are seeing , and the number of different strips being fitted (makes/ Model +size) I think they fill a need in the diy market for a low cost easy repair. I will be bringing more LED types to my listing. I sell to all over the EU and in good numbers. I am sure the US would be a good market also for you
                  Hi flocko ; i have LG50ln5100 with bad L led Strip HC500DUN-VP1-11XX and a few more Bad leds,can i use any of these strips on this model? thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heesung-HC39...3D361634180928

Comment

All the LEDs in my kits are new,coming from new in box sets that are transit damaged.
                    How do you get to buy tv's like that? I've been trying to land myself something like that here in Canada.
                    Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

I have been selling these kit all over the EU for along time.makes replacing LEDs an easy DIY repair
                      Hi, sorry to say but I can't find Flocko on ebay or the web, any help much appreciated
                      Graham thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X