Insignia NS-LTDVD20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insignia NS-LTDVD20

This tv is about 4 years old, and for a year or two the DVD player has had problems playing some discs. initially it wouldn't play a few discs, or would freeze partway into the discs, usually just as it hit the main menu for the disc. Early on, playing a different DVD would resolve the issue, so I presume it's a faulty drive.
    More recently the TV has had problems turning on from the Remote. again the problem has degraded over several months, initially you might have to hit "power" on the remote 2 or 3 times to turn the TV on, now it might take 30 or more seconds of hitting the power button. Once on, turning the power off is 100% reliable, so I don't suspect the remote.
    Added to that symptom, at the same time, the power indicator now flashes on and off at about a 2hz rate when power is off.
    Given the longer times to turn this TV on from the remote, I have started using the power button on the TV, which is much more reliable, but it is showing a different symptiom when I use the power button on the set.
    If I turn on the TV from the on-chassis power button, it often will turn onn, then lose video after a half second or so.

I brought the set into the shop today and opened it up, noting visually obvious, so I checked the power supplies.
    12V is 12.06 on my old Fluke 75
    5V6 (at least that's what the label looks like, is 6.08V
    B adj (again that's what the label looks to read) is 4.48V
    B on (same disclaimer) is 4.68V
    Stb is 5.23V

when I power the set off, the standby voltage appears to be cycling on and off at the 2 hz rate that the Power LED was demonstrating.

Since I'm not finding the service manual on-line, any thoughts, Looks to me like Power supply, but any thoughts on how to test this further.

Re: Insignia NS-LTDVD20

oh, and all of these power tests were done with the DVD player removed.

Comment

I am sure there are people in the forum that have a lot more knowledge with TV's than I do
      OK there's my disclaimer.
      You're going to have to post some very good quality photos [no flash,straight down shot so we can read printing on the boards]And please use managed attachments.
      Some questions for you; what type of capacitors are used on the power supply/inverter?
      Looking very closely do you notice any questionable solder joints?
      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

one correction.
        with power off, Standby is 0V, 5V6 powers on and off at 2Hz.

Alexanna, anything in particular you want pictures of? there's not a scorched trace, bulged cap, or nicked wire on the set.
        and what do you mean by "Managed attachments?
        Last edited by Kerrro; 04-19-2011, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Click on FAQ then search for manage attachment, or use this link and search for manage attachment.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/faq.php

Comment

Originally posted by Kerrro View Post
            Alexanna, anything in particular you want pictures of? there's not a scorched trace, bulged cap, or nicked wire on the set.
            and what do you mean by "Managed attachments?
            Top and bottom of Inverter/power supply
            Go advanced on your post and scroll down to managed attachments.
            There is a 2000x2000 max pixel allowed, so you will need to resize your photos
            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Update:
              After observing the 5V supply shutting down when it should have been in standby, I decided to drp $40, and replace the power supply (MCM Elect.). Got the power supply Tuesday, and that fixed all but the original issue with the DVD drive not reliably reading discs.
              Got a "pulled" DVD player on order for an additional $30, and should have 100% service on the TV/DVD player by this time next week.
              Looking at the new and old power supplies, It lookslike the only change is one capacitor has been changed (the largest one), will post pictures as soon as I get them off my phone.

Comment

Working...
              X