Reverse Image - Soyo Topaz S 24"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Image - Soyo Topaz S 24"

I received a 24" monitor 1920x1200 resolution that has an intermittent issue. After about half hour to an hour of operation, the monitor seems to flip to have a reverse image so that white is blackish purple if you can picture what i mean. I opened this bad boy up and it isn't the easiest to access components.

The only thing that I can see from visual inspection is that the one leg of one of the heat sinks looks like it has a broken solder joint. I'm not sure if this actually does anything but I am looking for advice.
    Attached Files

Re: Reverse Image - Soyo Topaz S 24"

Originally posted by freelander
    I received a 24" monitor 1920x1200 resolution that has an intermittent issue. After about half hour to an hour of operation, the monitor seems to flip to have a reverse image so that white is blackish purple if you can picture what i mean. I opened this bad boy up and it isn't the easiest to access components.

The only thing that I can see from visual inspection is that the one leg of one of the heat sinks looks like it has a broken solder joint. I'm not sure if this actually does anything but I am looking for advice.
    Good design practice demands that a heat sink should not be asked to conduct electricity. That said, there are plenty of designs that do not follow good practices. Of more interest would be the condition of the caps under that heat sink.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I've seen some moron engineers use the heatsink to connect two ground planes together. So nothing suprises me anymore.

Resolder the joint but keep looking in terms of troubleshooting.

Probably either a bad solder joint on the video board or a connection to the panel itself. The power supply is not the place to look on this one.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-24-2009, 09:39 PM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I soldered the broken connection and re-did a couple of others that looked somewhat suspect. The cables are taped and glued in place so I don't think I am getting a loose connection there. It's been perfect for about two hours. I will update if the problem returns...it feels like I just got a cheap 24" 1920x1200 monitor!

Comment

Not to bump an old thread, but I have a no-power issue with the same model monitor just today. I don't see any plump capacitors...that's the extent of my knowledge with LCD repair. Freelander can you point out where the fuse is located? Thank you in advance.

Comment

It looks like I deleted the originals off my machine. If you look at the first picture, the power supply connection is on the far right of the picture...the main fuse is typically located there.

Can you explain your situation more? Is there no power (LED doesn't even light up) or does the monitor turn on but there is no display? Do you get an image for a brief second and then it shuts down...please elaborate.

Comment

Thanks for the response!

It was on one minute, and the next, it powered off suddenly. From then on, it will not power on at all (no LED, no display, no start sound or any indication of power). Tried power cycling, waiting 15 mins etc, and a different power cord - nothing. First thing I thought of was to open it up, check for a broken fuse, but I couldn't find one. Then I went search on the web (landed on lcdmonitorrepair.net/), useful but not directly applicable to my current situation!

I will look where you have specified for the fuse and report back, thank you! I can take pictures of boards too...could you direct me to where I could snap images of possible sources of my problem? Thanks!!
              Last edited by systema; 11-21-2009, 02:24 AM.

Comment

I've got the same problem at work, I had two of them go bad (no power all of a sudden) within a week of each other. It looks like the zener diode ZD1 is gone, but I can't tell if that is all that went. Problem is that there are no markings on the diode so I dont know what to replace it with. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Comment

I actually ordered that ebook one day while I was frustrated but have yet to find it truly useful if you have some familiarity with electronics but maybe there is something in there that will still be useful.

I have two monitors with white screen issues that I figured would pay for the ebook if I salvaged one of them...no such luck.

As far as this monitor goes, if you have gotten it apart then you have done a bunch of the difficult work. I'm not the expert here but I would guess that something has blown in the primary power circuit. I would start measuring voltage at the plug connections and work out. The primary capacitor is under the metal cage looking thing on the right in the first picture. It is the large capacitor laying down...is that blown?

Comment

Soyo Monitor M24ei4

Hello,

I am looking for the power supply that is posted in the top of this thread. I am looking for a power supply for a SOYO 24 monitor, M24EI4. I am unable to track one of these down. I am going to post another thread in the forum to further help me find this power supply. If someone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly apreciated.

Comment

Welcome and I am glad you found the post. Are you missing the power supply or are you having problems with the monitor that you have isolated to the power supply? Please describe the symptoms so that others can help (stays on for a second then screen goes black, etc)...assuming that you can work a multimeter and a soldering iron

Comment

I am getting no power off of it. It does not turn on at all. You plug it in and it doees not have no power. Is there a way to check the power supply out of the monitor? I do see some burnt areas on the powers supply itself. Yes I can work a multimeter and a soldering iron.... So when you plug the monitor in it has no power???????????

Comment

If you have no power at all (the front light doesn't turn on or anything) then you will need to start at the plug connection on the power supply and work your way in with a multimeter. The first place to check is the primary fuse that is right after the plug connection. Check if you have continuity there or if it is open.

Just to rule out a couple of things...was this display working one day and then not working the next or did you pick it up and it has never worked while you have had it? Where are the burnt areas so that we can help narrow down the task list?

Pictures, pictures, pictures...

Comment

Sorry, for being late. After my monitor died, it so happens my mobo (ASUS P5K-VM) dies. Just my luck. Didn't power on one day, so I swapped out the PSU, powered-on and **POP**. I pulled the plug and therein loomed a rancid smell. I unplugged all the peripherals beforehand and am lucky that the CPU and the RAM are still good. Now I'm on a cheapo backup motherboard (EVGA 610i) which is surprisingly more stable than the ASUS ever was.

Anyhow, back to the case of the dead monitor; it's still in pieces, and I've taken some photos. Again, I really have no idea what to look for here, and I still have to get my hands on a digital multimeter (only have a really old analog one atm) before I think I can start testing. These pictures are of the power board(?) only and if i'm correct, the "big cap" is the one under the metal heatsink. I can't tell if it's bulging (that is what to look for, correct?) to the point where it might be damaged. I can't quite find the fuse location that you specified either. Hopefully you can point me in the right direct...er, the right place on the PCB

"big mama"?

Again, thanks for the help!!

Comment

Originally posted by systema
                              Sorry, for being late. After my monitor died, it so happens my mobo (ASUS P5K-VM) dies. Just my luck. Didn't power on one day, so I swapped out the PSU, powered-on and **POP**. I pulled the plug and therein loomed a rancid smell. I unplugged all the peripherals beforehand and am lucky that the CPU and the RAM are still good. Now I'm on a cheapo backup motherboard (EVGA 610i) which is surprisingly more stable than the ASUS ever was.

Anyhow, back to the case of the dead monitor; it's still in pieces, and I've taken some photos. Again, I really have no idea what to look for here, and I still have to get my hands on a digital multimeter (only have a really old analog one atm) before I think I can start testing. These pictures are of the power board(?) only and if i'm correct, the "big cap" is the one under the metal heatsink. I can't tell if it's bulging (that is what to look for, correct?) to the point where it might be damaged. I can't quite find the fuse location that you specified either. Hopefully you can point me in the right direct...er, the right place on the PCB

"big mama"?

Again, thanks for the help!!
                              Some 'engineer' should be taken out at dawn and executed. Preferably be being slowly buried under a mountain of defective monitors. Any 'engineer' who would place caps UNDER a heatsink like this is either incompetent or deliberately designing the equipment for an early failure.

The large cap is definitely bad. It must be replaced. The others (under the second heatsink) are also likely to fail soon (it they haven't already), and should be replaced at the same time. If you desire help, post the details on them (brand, series, capacitance, voltage, diameter, and height) and someone will suggest replacements.

PlainBill
                              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                                Some 'engineer' should be taken out at dawn and executed. Preferably be being slowly buried under a mountain of defective monitors. Any 'engineer' who would place caps UNDER a heatsink like this is either incompetent or deliberately designing the equipment for an early failure.

The large cap is definitely bad. It must be replaced. The others (under the second heatsink) are also likely to fail soon (it they haven't already), and should be replaced at the same time. If you desire help, post the details on them (brand, series, capacitance, voltage, diameter, and height) and someone will suggest replacements.

PlainBill
                                I'm surprised it even lasted this long, not to mention the *other* one that is still running since I bought the pair nearly a year and half ago.

From peeking through the heatsink:
                                SAMXON
                                100uF 450V
                                diameter of 1.8cm
                                length of 4.0cm

Trouble is removing the heatsink, which seems to be screwed on to locking pins that are soldered through the PCB. Would it be a safe go to de-solder these pins?

Comment

Originally posted by systema
                                  I'm surprised it even lasted this long, not to mention the *other* one that is still running since I bought the pair nearly a year and half ago.

From peeking through the heatsink:
                                  SAMXON
                                  100uF 450V
                                  diameter of 1.8cm
                                  length of 4.0cm

Trouble is removing the heatsink, which seems to be screwed on to locking pins that are soldered through the PCB. Would it be a safe go to de-solder these pins?
                                  You could try, but it's going to take a very good soldering iron or a solder pot. It might not be necessary. By the appearance it would be possible to slip the old one out after unsoldering the leads. Inserting the replacement would involve slightly less dexterity and patience than building a model sailing ship in a bottle.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                                    You could try, but it's going to take a very good soldering iron or a solder pot. It might not be necessary. By the appearance it would be possible to slip the old one out after unsoldering the leads. Inserting the replacement would involve slightly less dexterity and patience than building a model sailing ship in a bottle.

PlainBill
                                    Both of which I don't have, or the means of acquiring, unfortunately. Would you have a recommendation of some reading for the basis of replacing a capacitor? I do have an old-ish Hakko soldering iron somewhere.

Also, I think I have located the fuse, wrapped in heatstrink right below the AC plug.

Comment

Ok I have tried alot and still nothing. Is there anywere I can locate one of these power supplies or can I use something else. Let me know?

Comment

I bought my de-soldering iron from the local Radio Shack (err...the Source) for about $10 and it works great so I think you could buy soldering and de-soldering irons for less than $30. However, if you just want to get this one fixed, my suggestion would be to check out local LCD repair shops. In my area many charge a flat fee between $40-75 depending on size.

Personally, I love eBay to source parts but didn't see any power supplies on there...you could create a search, wait, and hope for the best. I did find a link that actually traces back to this post. One poster has hacked a power supply and traced out the connections for you. It looks like could be an option for you.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...1655449&page=5

So...the question comes down to how much time and $$ do you want to invest in this? There is certainly enough knowledge of some of the senior members to guide you through repair but you may be best off to find a quality repair shop in your area.

Comment

Working...
                                        X