This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Universal Battery Analyzer tool NLBA1

I know some people have been designing adapters for NLBA1 to be able to connect batteries for MacBooks.
    I think the use of the blade connectors, albeit are universal in nature, may be a thorn to use in real life. Are the interface connectors used by Apple (and others) not industry standard from TE, etc. ? Much like Molex, etc.

We attempted to use small flat blade screwdriver tips - not fun.

Saw another supplier on Aliexpress who offers small bridge boards to convert from terminal blocks to the battery connector for a proper snap on quick connect. That would be a nice to have feature here.

Even better would be to have the proper mating male pin connector + electronic mux so that once you select the battery pack, in your s/w - the mux maps to the proper pinout so no more guess work !!

Just select the target battery pack -> have the user confirm the details and accept responsibility -> your s/w can mux the pins to the proper pinout -> use.

Comment

In the package there are some connectors for Apple batteries.
      One partner created dedicated connectors: https://www.direct-charging.com/prod...abf29434&_ss=r

Comment

Originally posted by azzidoqsc View Post
        In the package there are some connectors for Apple batteries.
        One partner created dedicated connectors: https://www.direct-charging.com/prod...abf29434&_ss=r
        Are you affiliated in any way to the company that makes the NLBA1
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Can anyone give an unaffiliated,unbiased overview of the RFNT3

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32954520244.html
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
            Are you affiliated in any way to the company that makes the NLBA1
            I am Nicusor (the author of NLBA1).

Comment

Exactly, you need a laptop for each battery type, if you have 10 different batteries you need 10 laptops to test them

Laptop battery chips have Failure Flags. If at least one failure flag is set then the chip will never ever output voltage, the battery cannot be charged or discharged anymore since the fault is present. So, from my point of view the chips are in two states: Locked (with at least one PF set) and Unlocked (no PF set). If the chip is not Locked then you still can charge the battery, it does not matter the cells voltage, this is handled by the chip (BMS). If the cells are over discharged like you said, then even you apply a high voltage then the chip limits the current (called pre charge current) until the cells voltage are precharged.

If a chip is in Locked state, nothing can put it back in Unlock state, the transition is irreversible. No "reviving" possible anymore. The chip can be switched back to Unlocked state by clearing the PF flag. Clearing PF flag is only possible after a secure access. Most of the chips are well secured.

As I said, I know all of that. That's why I usually charge cells to correct voltage, then I wake up the chip by applying correct voltage to the connector and then I connect it to SMBUS, unseal, clear PF, seal. Job done, now it works in the laptop it was taken out of. No need to have a separate charger because the laptop it came out of, gets the revived battery back and is used as a charger.

Some batteries don't even get locked. It's enough to just charge cells and wake up the chip through connector. And some batteries are more heavily secured so I can't even revive them, like some newer macbooks.

It seems you know much about the theoretical side but it's a bit simpler in practice. Only unsealing is the difficult and much needed part.

Make NLBA1 able to unseal newer macbook battery chips and you have my money instantly

Comment

Originally posted by RethoricalCheese View Post
                Make NLBA1 able to unseal newer macbook battery chips and you have my money instantly
                If possible, for the same money, $149 / 1 year and 10 Free days )

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                  Can anyone give an unaffiliated,unbiased overview of the RFNT3

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32954520244.html
                  I have RFNT3 but I could not give you a feedback since I am connected to the NLBA1.

Comment

I have just created a beta version of the Remote Reset Option. Remotely I can unseal all Apple batteries and all BQ30z55. If you have an NLBA1 device just connect the battery and ask me to unseal it. You just need to press one "Connect to server" button.

Comment

@azzidoqsc - awesome !

Also an update on our case:

1) HP original with 885 (approx) cycles worked with the NLBA1 to fully charge the battery pack. Very happy to have this confirmation.

2) the clone version of this pack (2 charge cycles from the factory) failed no matter what parameter we attempted. We received a RMA from the supplier and now is in transit back to the other side of the country for a replacement.

This tool allowed us to stop wasting our time with the 'new' but dead battery pack.

We know that the HP logic board is able to function with the pre-charged up battery BUT unable to charge the battery. So far, we have replaced the BQ charger IC onboard with no change to the operation. Tomorrow we will replace all local mosfets. The battery gauge works but unable to charge up the connected battery.

Will update this thread once we have some more results.

Comment

I have just created a beta version of the Remote Reset Option. Remotely I can unseal all Apple batteries and all BQ30z55. If you have an NLBA1 device just connect the battery and ask me to unseal it. You just need to press one "Connect to server" button.

Nice. Will try to get one now

Comment

Nice. Will try to get one now
                          Since yesterday NLBA1Reset License is able to Unseal and Reset ALL Apple Macbook Batteries. The latest updated added bq20z451 firmware newer than 5.11.

Comment

theoretically there is no need for analyzer device. You can reset the battery by accessing the I2C data line via the USB port. since you can do this with remote access. If the battery you bought is not charging, it can be reset while on the laptop with the utility. is not it ?
                            I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

It's not that simple. It mostly does not charge for a reason. So by ONLY resetting, it will go into that fault state again. You would need to eliminate the cause of the problem first and then reset.

Comment

Yes, you are right. In the faulty battery, the cell must be changed and then the eeprom must be reset. otherwise it will not work again. I thought of resetting the incompatible batteries that were newly bought but not charging.
                                I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

Originally posted by Sametbey View Post
                                  Yes, you are right. In the faulty battery, the cell must be changed and then the eeprom must be reset. otherwise it will not work again. I thought of resetting the incompatible batteries that were newly bought but not charging.
                                  Do not make confusions, laptop batteries are using SMBus protocol and not I2C. It is based on I2C but not I2C, you can read probably in some cases the SBS report but I would definitely not recommend you to program the SMBus chip using SPI protocol, you can brick the chip.

News: Now NLBA1 can unseal and reset BQ30z55

Comment

When will BQ40Z696A get supported?

Comment

When will BQ40Z696A get supported?
                                      I think you should ask the question on their support forums.

Comment

actually you do not need to buy so expensive tool, just prepare a EV2300 adapter, pay 10 USD to UBRT, they will unlock the battery for you, I just unlock two thinkpad T460 batteries with bq40z696a chip.

Comment

Thanks @testpoint. Did not know about this tool.

Comment

Working...
                                          X