Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubicon 22uF 25V on Dimension 8400

Hi,

This is my first post so please educate me if I'm not specifying the capacitors correctly and if my pictures aren't the best quality. The main question I have is whether I should replace the (8) Rubicon 22uF 25V YK capacitors on my motherboard? These capacitor aren't bulging, but they are leaning. I haven't see any threads about the need to replace these capacitors; other than, that leaning capacitors should be replaced. See the attached pictures. More information about my computer is below.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400, Rev. A00, E210882, that doesn't boot. Hitting the power button doesn't do anything. The light in the power button doesn't light; none of the diagnostic lights are on; it acts like it's not getting power. However, I checked the voltages from the power supply and they are within specs and the green led light on the motherboard is on.

Inspecting the motherboard shows bulging caps on the (5) Nichicon 1000uF 10V HN(M) 105C and 2200uF 6.3V KZJ 105C. The Nichicon 2200uF 10V H0448 105C doesn't have a bulging cap but I'm replacing it anyway based upon the advice from several threads. My replacements are shown below.

So my question is should I replace the (8) Rubicon 22uF 25V YK? If so with Samxon 22uF 25v 5mm GK Ultra Low ESR https://www.badcaps.net/store/product_info.php?products_id=102?

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files

Re: Rubicon 22uF 25V on Dimension 8400

They where installed like that in the factory
    Or perhaps took a little bump after assembly/packaging/shipping/end-user handling...

Nothing to worry about, small caps like that do not have enough electrolyte (generally) to bulge the top or press out the bung at the bottom. (The latter resulting in the capacitor leaning)
    So that is to say even if they where bad it would not be visually possible to see it... You would need an ESR meter.

Unless you have some problem with the board after replacing the big capacitors, and in particular with chips close by, like that I/O controller chip, or the Floppy port etc etc then I would not worry about them...
    Of course it might be just as easy to replace them when you have the board out, saving you the problem of doing the job twice... (Up to you)
    Small caps like that CAN cause boards to not boot at all (due to how the "soft start" is designed on most ATX mobos)
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 06-06-2011, 11:04 AM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
    X