Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer Aspire 5810T Completely dead, no lights at all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer Aspire 5810T Completely dead, no lights at all.

So nothing more we can do about it.
    Do you think the problem is on the motherboard or miniboard?
    They are both really cheap to ebay.

Comment

It looks like it's the main board that is the problem. That doesn't mean it's the only problem, but it's definitely a problem.

For the mini board... you can actually test the 3V/5V on it by disconnecting it from the main board. Then plug in the power and press and hold the switch SW2. You should get voltage from the main 3V/5V outputs as long as the switch is being held down.

Comment

I found the 3V at SW2 but not on PIN 53 of BTB1 (with switch pressed and not)
        I also noticed something else, the miniboard became really hot and more spicifically the U115 a Atheros (!) ic!
        When i attach the mainboard it's cool, is this normal?
        Last edited by Andreasbest; 09-05-2016, 02:56 AM.

Comment

With the switch pressed, there is supposed to be 3.3V at L24 and 5V at L25.

If the main board is attached it will continue to force the 3V/5V_EN line to 0V, even if you are pushing the button. That turns off the main 3V/5V outputs and the LAN IC no longer gets power so it no longer gets hot.

That IC should definitely not ever be getting hot enough to notice, so is probably bad. I thought you had checked L24/L25 for shorts though. Is one of them reading as shorted now? If you are sure it is that chip getting hot (and not just something right next to it), it needs to be removed. Then see how the board behaves.

A short in the 3V or 5V rails might cause the 3V/5V chip turn both those rails off, but it doesn't really explain the 3V/5V_EN signal being 0V. There may be multiple problems.

Comment

No shorts to L24/L25, i get both voltage with the switch pressed and the IC is getting extreme hot.
            Do you think this is the only problem or we have problem in main board too?

Comment

It's acting like it has a problem on the main board also.

Comment

Is there a chance the whole system to stay off as a kind of protection against the overheating/faulty ic?

Comment

Unlikely. That's the job of the 3V/5V chip. The EC would have no knowledge of that. And since the outputs are staying on when you press the button, the 3V/5V chip doesn't even see the problem.

It's more likely that a single event damaged more than one thing on the board. For example, if there were a power spike on the main 3V rail, it could damage the LAN chip and also the EC. I actually have a board here with me that has that exact problem.

You can try removing the LAN chip and see what happens though. It's not like you can make it worse at this point.

Comment

Indeed,what kind of behavior should i expect when i remove the ic?
                    By the way the 8131L ic is hot selling on ebay, seems has problems pretty often.
                    Last edited by Andreasbest; 09-05-2016, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I expect it will do nothing except get rid of the hot spot. But maybe it will miraculously get the 3V/5V rails working. We can always hope. But if it doesn't, then you definitely have more than one problem. And anything that could damaged those two areas could have also damaged a number of other things.

Comment

Working...
                      X