Mag D510 changes resolution by itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mag D510 changes resolution by itself

My 15-inch Mag CRT monitor (model D510) first started its symptoms with an intermittent loss of vertical sweep (single horizontal line across the screen) for only a second or two, then return to normal. Days later, new symptoms appeared: the picture would shrink to 2/3 of its original size, be off-center, and come with a decrease in brightness. At other times, the picture width and height change intermittently. Actually, it's as if the monitor is changing resolution settings at random. Sometimes it would return to normal, sometimes it wouldn't. Although there is still good synchronization and the picture is still intact, it's getting such that I can't do much work with it. I suspected it's the jungle IC - STV7778. I replaced this 42 pin jobber and this cured the decreased brightness problem. But the picture problem is still there. I can use the horiz and vert size controls to bring the shrunken picture to fill the whole screen again, but in a few seconds, the picture becomes too wide and I'd have to readjust the size controls again. I know it's not the computer's video card because connecting another monitor there doesn't show these problems.

I have a dual trace 100 MHz oscilloscope and know how to use it. How can I use it to pinpoint the problem? Also, I'm beginning to suspect the microprocessor IC. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by berniedd; 03-28-2007, 11:02 AM.

Re: Mag D510 changes resolution by itself

Check the caps! Not only electrolytic but all of them near the vertical drive IC.

Comment

Yes check the caps... Also check for broken solder joints on the flyback, vertical output IC, and power supply area.

The deflection yoke connector could also be flaky, i've seen the pins get hot and enlarge just enough to lose contact.

Does it affect anything if you bump the monitor?

The microcontrollers are pretty reliable; I don't think I've ever replaced one. If the supply voltage to it is too low, it can cause problems, but I'd suspect broken solder joints and/or bad caps first.
      Last edited by Maxxarcade; 04-11-2007, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Nope, no obvious cold solder joints. Also whacking the rig doesn't bring about the symptoms or remove them. Just to make sure, I've already resoldered a lot of joints, but still no dice. Will keep looking and probing.

Comment

Check the capacitors with freezer spray and note any which affect the operation of the monitor.
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
          X