Enermax EG465AX-VE(G) Thermistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enermax EG465AX-VE(G) Thermistor

What kind of modifications were done to it? Could you post some pics?
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

There are multiple different EG651P-VE around. Newer models give 36A in 12V rail, older models 24A in 12V rail.

Older models need an extra 20pin->24pin power adapter cable to fit into newer motherboards.

I guess 'modifications' do not mean these power adapters. For fitting older PSUs into newer motherboards also 4 pin -> 8 pin power adapter is also needed. The '4-pin' was very common long time (for P4 processors).

My newest motherboards are from year 2007 or slightly older, don't know much about newest motherboards and their connectors.
      Last edited by euromatlox; 04-26-2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response I was out of town. I will follow up with the tech and get more info. I do remember that the PSU had capability to do 40A on the 3.3V rail and 46A on the 5V. This is different from the standard EG651P-VE. I'm assuming this is for the backprojector board.

The modification involves a separate wire harness with decently heavy DC wires running to a capacitor bank before connecting to the backprojector board. Other than that, I will let you know if there's anything different on the PCB.
        Last edited by sadmed; 04-30-2018, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Here are some pics I had taken previously.

Attached Files

Comment

Yeah it's one of these terrible machines lol.

Think the newer revision is the EG651P-VE-24P, it should have the newer 24pin Main ATX connector. As for high current from +3.3/+5 V, maybe some older telco PSUs may provide high current there. Or server units from dual PIII era. Or possibly some newer 12V unit with DC-DC modules, either internal, or external.

It seems to draw actually just from the 3V3, how much? Isn't it easier to replace it with DC-DC converter fed from say PCIe connector? You can put it instead of that cap board. If the unit (or the converter) goes bad again, using more or less standard stuff you can replace it whenever you want. These hard modifications are usually a pain to replace if something goes wrong, as you can see. Also using newer HW the overall efficiency will likely be better so you'll save some power costs, internal heat etc.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

The original supply had the 20 pin. Yep, the newer one has the 24 pin (20+4; they are separate) connector.

The actual draw on the 3.3V rail was not measured. It might be easier to use a DC-DC converter that can handle the current but we cannot modify the OEM's design. We have to keep everything working and intact according to OEM documentation and specs.

Luckily, the tech was able to transfer the wire harness to the newer supply and get the PC back up and running!

Comment

Working...
              X