Not 100% sure where I should have posted this :P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not 100% sure where I should have posted this :P

Awesome, will do ^^ Also I just noticed that it only puts them on dimly when I unplug the whole thing from the main power source So once it's connected to the pc, the lights stay off completely when it's not being fed power. Thanks for the input and help though =]

Edit: I found the drawback to this.. It's not saving the time, haha. I knew it couldn't be that easy ¬_¬ back to the drawing board it seems. First things first, I'm gonna put the old Diode back and hope for the best lol.

Edit 2: That seems to have done the trick And now if i ever want to change the LED's colours It's an easy-ish task =] thanks guys! Im currently using red - as suggested (I know in the pic there is 1 white and 1 blue, but they were too big, and just being used as a test)

Edit 3: Man, I really need to test prior to posting. This hasn't fixed it. The LED's still come on, and no time is stored. I'm thinking that maybe the LED's there were using were special somehow.. or a certain type, and that it was that balance keeping everything going.
    Last edited by Demix; 07-13-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Check your wiring. Where are those LEDs wired again? They shouldn't have anything to do with the battery. And btw, when the CMOS battery goes out, not only system time is wiped, so make sure you reset your BIOS options properly.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

The Small PCB that the LED's are connected to has it's own battery - its used for storing the time etc, as it runs seperate to the system time >_< My actual computer hasnt been affected by this =] thanks though. When I resoldered the zener, thinking about it.. i may have splashed/spilled a little too much solder on it, so im going to check that out for the moment. Also, how would I go about finding out the specifications of the zener? So I can look into buying a new one just in case its this thats failed. Thanks

Comment

SMD zeners might have a tiny label or none at all. Get a bright light and a magnifying glass.

Powering the LEDs separately instead of through the board would make the zener irrelevant and not run down the battery. Not from the LEDs, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jsog View Post
            SMD zeners might have a tiny label or none at all. Get a bright light and a magnifying glass.

Powering the LEDs separately instead of through the board would make the zener irrelevant and not run down the battery. Not from the LEDs, anyway.
            Yeah, fair enough. But do you think that would solve the issue of the time not being stored? - prior to the LED's going, and even after, I think, the time always stored unless I pulled the battery for any length of time.

Oh and thanks for the info! Magnifying glass and light it is hehe

Comment

Ah, so the display stores its own time. That makes more sense now. Yes, powering the LEDs separately will fix the issue, unless the battery is bad.

Remember to keep the resistors or you'll fry the LEDs in no time. Use this calculator, select 15 mA and 1 LED. The best option is having a separate resistor for each LED, otherwise one will be brighter than the other, sometimes noticeably so. Of course you can go lower (use a higher value resistor) if you think they are too bright, but any normal size LED should never be run over 20mA or it'll fry quickly.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

The battery isn't bad, I made sure of that Plus the fact it still has enough power to light up two LED's is a good sign, I guess lol. I have come to the conclusion that it is the Zener Diode which is causing this issue, simply because when I unsoldered it... it split in half haha >_< There is nothing written on it though.. but I have taken the exact measurements and gone to my trusty parts site - rs supplies.. Ive managed to narrow down the hunt, but is there any possible way I could figure out things like Nominal Zener Voltage Zener Voltage Tolerance Test Current, etc. I'm thinking the Tolerance would be 5% rather than 2%, voltage wouldnt be more than 6v? and test current.. im not sure about this one haha >_< 2ma, 2.5ma or 5ma D:

I do have a zener i picked up last week from maplins, which im gonna test.

Also just to say, when i let power pass through with no zener in place (Not jumping anything.. just leaving it be) the LED's do come on, but quite dimly, and the display is very dim, but it does keep the time like it used to.. so im sure once this zener is fixed then that will be all of my problems solved

Edit: - here is where I'm looking and I've managed to narrow it down to this, so far >_< - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/semico...oduct%20Height

Edit 2: Nevermind, The Zener I had which is an 0.5W 5.6V one seems to work perfectly ^^ I have full functionality etc, although the LED's could be a tiny bit brighter im not going to be splitting hairs here
                Last edited by Demix; 07-14-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but I have one final question.

It works perfectly now, but if I wanted to increase the brightness of the LED's would I need to use a higher voltage Zener Diode? or is just that I have picked rather weak LED's hehe.. I decided to order a pair I found which look identical to the originals anyway, so i can change them over when they get here

I also just want to take the time to thank you both for your help =] thanks guys, you've been helpful

Comment

The important numbers on the zener are voltage and current. It's being used as a voltage regulator. Going to a slightly higher zener voltage would make the LEDs brighter but could affect something else on that board. (Again, separately powering the LEDs avoids problems, and a pot would allow varying the brightness.) Some LEDs are brighter than others, even at the same current.

Make sure you've got the plastic backlight piece in place, it's needed to reflect that light to the front.

Comment

Working...
                    X