Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Audio Equipment
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #201
jondoe
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: A
My Country: UK
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Vox mini 3 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by midibob View Post
If it's just the one you want go to the Texas site and ask for a sample. I think they gave me three and they came back very quick. Getting the new ones on is a challenge unless you have the right gear which I suspect you may have.
I wish you luck with that.
I did start to go through the sample process but they wanted me to fill in some extra forms and explain what my business was, why I wanted them, etc. I gave up at that point

Mouser/Digikey worked out very expensive with shipping, thankfully I found a seller on Aliexpress so I've bought 10 at half the price of 3! I went for the 3.2Watt version in the end.

There's a square section of solder under the chip on the reverse side of the board (for heat sinking I guess?), I pre-heated it with a soldering iron for a moment then flipped it over and used my cheap hot air station to finish it off, that seemed to work well and all the pads survived, nothing was scorched or melted.

Fitting might be a bit harder, times like this I wish I had a scope. I'll probably add some more solder to the pad underneath to give it a bit more meat to soak heat into during operation.

Thanks for sharing your experience midibob, I'm grateful
jondoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:53 AM   #202
midibob
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: London

Without a microscope it's impossible to tell if all the balls have melted to the pads and even then it's tricky especially the middle one.
midibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:51 AM   #203
jondoe
Badcaps Veteran

If I prep the board, use plenty of flux and let the balls on the supplied chip find their location it should be OK, it's only 9 balls after all, it could be worse! I have a fairly high power magnifying glass so I can at least look at the outside edge and I can also check for shorts before powering up.

I have ten tries to get it right
Old 10-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #204
jondoe
Badcaps Veteran

Well it looks like the TPA2039 is noticeably smaller than the original chip in all dimensions, so the one fitted to the Vox Mini 3 G1 is perhaps not a Ti IC? The BGA foot print is therefore a little smaller, however, it is just about OK to use.

I heated the back side of the chip location for a short period then flipped it over and placed the new chip on the tinned pads, with a little hot air it nudged itself into place and all was good on the first pass.

Happy to report the amp is working fine, I didn't hear it working originally so I can't comment on how loud it is other than it sounds about right for a 3 watt practice amp.

It would be nice to know what the actual IC as I suspect a better fitting IC would make the job more likely to work first time.

Thanks again for this thread
Old 10-28-2018, 04:54 AM   #205
midibob
Badcaps Veteran

Have a look at the thread I found with my original question to TI. It makes you wonder if anyone knows to be honest.

https://e2e.ti.com/support/audio/f/6...identification

Glad you got it sorted though. I know it was a real pain when I attempted it.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:11 AM   #206
jondoe
Badcaps Veteran

I need to borrow something to measure the original chips dimensions, my old wooden ruler won't cut it!

I've singled out three other alternative chips that have the same pin out, the last one is also a Ti, didn't see that one when I searched before

SA58672
IS31AP2010B
LM4670 (LM4670ITLX/NOPB)
Old 11-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #207
gmoshe27

City & State: Dayton, NJ
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

I found myself in the same situation, my headphone jack works, but the speaker doesn't engage when I disconnect the headphones. I found the issue to be similar to what Tonedef identified, which is that the headphone jack has a weak internal connection to ground. I took the casing of, played with the jack a bit and got it to a point where the speaker and the headphones work... kind of. Now my issue is that the headphone jack is a bit loose internally so the headphone connection isn't very solid. I have to play with it to get audio in both left and right channels.

I dug around digikey looking for a replacement part, but I didn't see anything that would work. Does anyone know what this part might be?
gmoshe27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:02 AM   #208
Slaminsammy

City & State: Greenfield, Indiana
My Country: U.S.A.

Hey midibob, I too need one of them repair boards for my Vox MINI 3. Are they still available?
Slaminsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #209
midibob
Badcaps Veteran

Hi, I need to make up a new batch which will take a couple of days. I'll PM you in the meantime.

Bob
Old 12-31-2018, 01:47 PM   #210
BlueBert

City & State: Glasgow
Line Voltage: 240vac
Smile Re: Vox mini 3 amp

Hi there
New to this forum joined through a search for vox mini3 speaker not working but headphone fine. Happened just after I put a looper pedal thru the mic input. Just Died. Anyway Im hoping Midibob still has one of your daughterboards available, as for sure I'm not up to soldering these microscopic parts.
BlueBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #211
larsc888

City & State: Issaquah
My Country: United States

Hi Midibob, would like to know if you still had those daughterboards available since my Mini3 just died after my father in law sang karaoke through it. =)
larsc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #212
midibob
Badcaps Veteran

PM's sent to BlueBert and Larsc88.
Happy New Year.

Bob
Old 01-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #213
BlueBert

City & State: Glasgow
Line Voltage: 240vac

Yippee! Twenty Minutes work and my amp switched on as normal. Cant thankyou enough for the daughterboard and the instructions. You are a hero.
BlueBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #214
midibob
Badcaps Veteran

Glad to hear it all went well.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #215
steveh99

City & State: glasgow
My Country: uk

Hi, I've just joined this the hope midibob can help, I've got a Vox mini 3 amp and its fault is the one mentioned several times in the thread- lights on, no sound from speaker. Are you still doing the kits? I'd be massively grateful if you were able to help!

best wishes

Steve
steveh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #216
midibob
Badcaps Veteran

PM sent.