Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba L300 Image Issues when entering OS

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
    You could be measuring the CPU resistance, about 5 ohms.
    Try removing the CPU and testing again.
    There is much more to soldering than the temperature setting. Did you look at the links in my earlier post? I need to know how much notice you take of information that you are given.
    Hello!

Thanks for your reply!

I read almost the all thread

If I read resistance, I get 0.6 ohm with cpu on the board between stripes.

Still good to put back the new caps?

Thanks!

Comment

0.6 ohms is too low. Check it with the CPU removed to be certain. With the CPU removed, the resistance should be much higher like 1K ohms maybe, I cant remember exactly.

Comment

Also show us what you are trying to solder with.
        If solder is causing the short, it needs to be removed with a suitable soldering iron plus some flux and maybe solder removal braid.
        If the short is being caused by damaged copper bridging the very small gap between the + and - pad areas, DO NOT try removing it by scratching into the PCB. Get under it with a sharp sewing needle and lift it upwards.

Comment

Also show us what you are trying to solder with.
          If solder is causing the short, it needs to be removed with a suitable soldering iron plus some flux and maybe solder removal braid.
          If the short is being caused by damaged copper bridging the very small gap between the + and - pad areas, DO NOT try removing it by scratching into the PCB. Get under it with a sharp sewing needle and lift it upwards.
          Thanks for all the inputs Rievax.

Removed CPU and if I mesure continuity , all pads are shorted to ground.
          If I mesure resistance, I get the same 0.6 ohm...

I have this soldering station :
          http://www.aoyue.com/en/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=435

It sems it's 70W .

Gonna try to remove that solder and clean that area up and I'll send a photo.
          PS : removed the solder the best I could .pict following
          Attached Files
          Last edited by magneh; 09-09-2014, 08:34 AM.

Comment

It depends which heater type the iron uses. My aoyue 936A uses a real Hakko heater, about 60W. Other clones use a China made heater that might be as low as 40W.
            You also need a heavy tip like a large chisel or a K shape tip, its what I use.
            You didnt mention what tip you are using.

Comment

If you are using an unsuitable tip, more damage will occur.

Comment

It depends which heater type the iron uses. My aoyue 936A uses a real Hakko heater, about 60W. Other clones use a China made heater that might be as low as 40W.
                You also need a heavy tip like a large chisel or a K shape tip, its what I use.
                You didnt mention what tip you are using.
                If you are using an unsuitable tip, more damage will occur.
                Hello again.

My tip is a 900m-T-K shape K and the heater is the one that came with the unit.
                I suspect it's a weak heater and I never changed it.

Hope that I'm still able to recover this mobo

Comment

Originally posted by magneh View Post
                  Thanks for all the inputs Rievax.

Removed CPU and if I mesure continuity , all pads are shorted to ground.
                  If I mesure resistance, I get the same 0.6 ohm...

I have this soldering station :
                  http://www.aoyue.com/en/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=435

It sems it's 70W .

Gonna try to remove that solder and clean that area up and I'll send a photo.
                  PS : removed the solder the best I could .pict following
                  Remember what I said about removing the damaged copper from the gap.

Comment

Remember what I said about removing the damaged copper from the gap.
                    From what I understand , I should remove the copper between the contacts right?

Never done that before, gonna try to find some info about tools and technique for that

Comment

Any stray copper fragments need to be removed from the gap surrounding the rectangle shaped area that was under the old capacitor. A large sharp sewing needle will do the job. Then confirm that the short is gone.

Comment

Hello !

Well tried to remove the copper between contacts...
                        Dunno if I'm doing it well ... but here are some pictures.

Till now the short isn't gone...

Cheers,

Jose
                        Attached Files

Comment

It looks like you did exactly what you were advised not to do. Read post 23 again.
                          It looks like the board is ruined.

Comment

I took a close look at your last 2 photos. You are trying to scratch through copper that is nowhere near the gap you where supposed to clear of stray copper fragments. Why?
                            Your photo in post 24 showed possible shorts in just a few places in the gap.

Comment

It looks like you did exactly what you were advised not to do. Read post 23 again.
                              It looks like the board is ruined.
                              I took a close look at your last 2 photos. You are trying to scratch through copper that is nowhere near the gap you where supposed to clear of stray copper fragments. Why?
                              Your photo in post 24 showed possible shorts in just a few places in the gap.
                              Hello!

Well it seems I didnt quite understood how to remove those copper fragments.
                              Thought I would have to remove all the copper between contacts.

RIP Mobo

Think I have another one with the same issue.
                              I think now I have a good idea how to do it and how to DO NOT.
                              Never ruined a board before :/

Thanks!

Comment

It might be still repairable. But it would be too difficult to explain with enough detail that you would possibly misunderstand.
                                Have you figured out now what I mean when I say "gap"?

Comment

I have marked the gap between the two areas of copper print in yellow. And also the polarity of the two areas.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow, you gouged out pieces of the board like you were trying to cut right through it!
                                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                      Wow, you gouged out pieces of the board like you were trying to cut right through it!
                                      LOL

Those who dont know how to do it ... that's the result

Comment

The last picture rievax_60 posted looks good. Maybe you can save it if you check the right places... hopefully you have not cut through any internal layers.
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

yes, thats right, if he has not gouged down to the next layer, It should be ok with some repair to the + print that has been cut through. It would be good practice before risking the next laptop repair that was mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                                          X