No announcement yet.

hp d530 board questions-caps leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hp d530 board questions-caps leaking?

Thank You very much for the feed back.
    I haven't tried anymore mobo's since this one; confidence level dropped a level or two...frustrated with my quality.

I'm thinking of a Hakko Fx-888 for the rest of my repairs, what's your (or anyones) opinion of those stations? The price of those are closer to my budget.

With your feedback I'm going to go at it again.

Thanks

Comment

I never tried the FX-888, but I'm pretty sure you will like it. Just about any decent digital soldering station within that budget should work a lot better than your 40W iron. If you do get a soldering station, though, get a chisel tip for it as well.

If you do a lot of soldering, you won't regret the money you spent on a good soldering station.

That doesn't mean that your old 40W iron is junk, however. I still use my cheap 35W Radio Shack iron a lot, especially for SMD stuff. The tip has worn into a nice concave shape, making it very easy to desolder small SMD components .
      Last edited by momaka; 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

momaka,

As always I appreciate the advise given here at badcaps. I took your advise and walked out / in the next batch of caps. Yes, much easier; then again I also purchased the Hakko 888 and that did make a difference too.

I'm sure I won't regret that purchase, so far I like it...more boards to do.

I think I've created a problem...I'm starting to enjoy this work

Thanks again for sharing your advise.

Comment

You're welcome. Glad I could help

Yeah the difference between a regular iron and a temperature-regulated station is substantial. Certain soldering/desoldering tasks that took me lots of time and effort to do before now seem trivial.

Seems like you caught the "badcaps" bug now too

Comment

Working...
          X