Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob broke off a capacitor from his new GPU, what kind do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob broke off a capacitor from his new GPU, what kind do I need?

So I bought a used 280x and the graphic card, but before I could test it, upon inserting it I didn't see a sata connector underneath it and I broke off a capacitor off it.
    Anyways it's not a big of a deal, but I'm pissed off at my self.
    Anyways upon this happening to me I didn't know anything about capacitors but after googling a little bit as far as I understood I need a low esr(I don't know what that means) 105c( because GPUs operate at a high temeperature) capacitor with similar values, the closest thing I found is "ULTRA LOW ESR elko Nipon Industrial Company, JAPAN, 330uF, 16V, 105°C, 8x11,5mm, RM:2,54mm"
    will it work?
    I have a friend who will solder this for me, but he says we need the exact capacitance value which is 270 but I can't find a capacitor like that,
    I read on several places that it's not a big deal to use a little bit higher capacitance value, who's right?
    Also are there some things to watch out during soldering capacitors on gpu or some general tips, he solders things like headphones, mouses e.t.c. for me all the time and he's good at it, but I think he never soldered anything on a gpu.

couple of pics
    Attached Files

Re: Noob broke off a capacitor from his new GPU, what kind do I need?

That's a polymer capacitor, with value of 270uF and rated for 16v.

You need to replace it with a polymer capacitor of at least 270uF, you can go with 330uF but shouldn't go much higher. What you found seems reasonable, from what you wrote.

My advice would be to go to a service/repair center and ask the guys there if they can give you one capacitor for free or for a small tip (i'd say about 1-2$ in your local currency would be enough).

Capacitors like this (polymer, 270-330uF 16v) are very common on new motherboards, so any service company with some broken motherboards around should be able to give you one. Would save you shipping costs and you'd know it's genuine since it's pulled from a motherboard or another pc component.

As for soldering.. have a good iron, add a bit of solder to heat up the old one, pull out the leads and insert the new capacitor... keep leads as short as possible.
    Last edited by mariushm; 10-16-2015, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks for a fast reply, one more question, there are in a row 7 capacitors like this including the broken one, I also want to replace the one next to it because it's a little bent, will there be a problem if there are 5 270 capacitors and 2 330 capacitor, will it make some kind of unbalance, should I maybe replace all 7 of them?
      Attached Files

Comment

If you think it's bent enough to cause issues, then feel free to replace that other capacitor as well.

No, I don't think there will be an unbalance. Basically you have there 6 or 7 independent dc-dc converters that convert 12v to 1.2v or something like that, and the outputs of all those converters are tied together at the output (in the region between the ram and that row of magenta/pink colored capacitors). The tiny capacitance differences at the input won't make much of a difference.

btw I think it wouldn't hurt to add a capacitor at the top of the board near the power connector, even though it wasn't installed from the factory. Again, something like 220-330uF 16v should be fine.

Comment

Ok thanks for the replies, I'm going to order those 330 ones, I don't really know where to look for a service center and these ones are not expensive and I only need two

Comment

kako to mislis nemas servis racunara u blizini? Upadnes tamo i dobar dan, dobar dan. treba mi 2 ovakva (ponio si kond) i eto. na starim plocama ih ima a dobri su i polovni jer se ne suse. Sto da cekas da ti stigne narudzba.

Soldering shouldn't be an issue as long as he goes slowly and carefully.
            Since we don't know what kind of equipment he has, it's best to google out how to clear holes if he hasn't done it before. There are plenty of videos online.
            stay classy

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black View Post
              kako to mislis nemas servis racunara u blizini? Upadnes tamo i dobar dan, dobar dan. treba mi 2 ovakva (ponio si kond) i eto. na starim plocama ih ima a dobri su i polovni jer se ne suse. Sto da cekas da ti stigne narudzba.

Soldering shouldn't be an issue as long as he goes slowly and carefully.
              Since we don't know what kind of equipment he has, it's best to google out how to clear holes if he hasn't done it before. There are plenty of videos online.
              Ma kontao sam da mi je ovo sigurna stvar, a porudžbina ne bi trebalo da traje duže od 1 dan, ali upravu si, idem ionako sutra kod zubara pa ću da potražim malo po servisima.

Comment

So I replaced the two capacitors and the card doesn't work, to be precise, it works in 2d(desktop, web browsing...) but as soon as I start some game after a minute it crashes and shows some brown screen.

Is it possible that it's because of these new capacitors, maybe the difference in uF is a little to high after all, or is it something else?

Comment

Working...
                X