Lenovo Thinkpad L14 Gen2 AMD (20X5) - Bricked BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenovo Thinkpad L14 Gen2 AMD (20X5) - Bricked BIOS

Hi everyone, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad L14 Gen 2 AMD (20X5) with supposedly bricked BIOS, when powered on, I only get short keyboard lights and fan spin, nothing on the screen, no beeps. I have couple of questions, that I hope someone will have the answers to.

1. What is the correct chip that needs to be flashed?
    I've was able to read the chip near the right hindge (on the motherboard picture) with the CH341A, but I'am not sure If this is the BIOS chip.

2. Does anyone have a working BIOS file for this model?

3. Is it possible to flash the BIOS chip with CH341A or I need some other programmer?
    I've did some research and read that for later models of Thinkpads you need JTAG programmer to flash the BIOS chip.

4. I found this ad on ebay https://www.*****.com/itm/***, will replacing the chip fix the BIOS issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vesko356; 01-19-2024, 04:11 PM. Reason: Exteral link removed

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad L14 Gen2 AMD (20X5) - Bricked BIOS

Originally posted by axtrixx View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad L14 Gen 2 AMD (20X5) with supposedly bricked BIOS, when powered on, I only get short keyboard lights and fan spin, nothing on the screen, no beeps. I have couple of questions, that I hope someone will have the answers to.

1. What is the correct chip that needs to be flashed?
    I've was able to read the chip near the right hindge (on the motherboard picture) with the CH341A, but I'am not sure If this is the BIOS chip.

2. Does anyone have a working BIOS file for this model?

3. Is it possible to flash the BIOS chip with CH341A or I need some other programmer?
    I've did some research and read that for later models of Thinkpads you need JTAG programmer to flash the BIOS chip.

4. I found this ad on ebay https://www.*****.com/itm/***, will replacing the chip fix the BIOS issue?

Thanks in advance.
    bios chip is in the canter i marked over there
    mabe you need to desolder that chip or program with the help of pogo pin connector check the link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_dGDrWxipQ
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vesko356; 01-19-2024, 04:13 PM. Reason: External link quotation

Comment

I tried soldering tiny wires on the "Winbond" chip, and when trying to read or erase with flashrom I am getting "This flash part has status NOT WORKING for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE ... Read is not working on this chip. Aborting. Your chip is in unknown state.".
      If I try to write the chip I get ERROR: Image size (33554432 B) doesn't mach the flash chip's size (0 B)!
      The CH341A has the voltage fix btw.

Comment

Update: I was able to read the cheap with AsProgrammer v2.1, erase it and flash it with some random .bin file from L15 Gen1 AMD but without success, still same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by axtrixx View Post
          Update: I was able to read the cheap with AsProgrammer v2.1, erase it and flash it with some random .bin file from L15 Gen1 AMD but without success, still same issue.
          post your original bios and serial number some one will fix for you

Comment

Originally posted by qayyum786 View Post
            post your original bios and serial number some one will fix for you
            As this is second repair attempt, the original BIOS file is long gone.

But the repair was succssesful, you need to use the 1.8V - Adapter and have the voltage mod on the CH341a. And as peviously mentoned the AsProgrammer v2.1. Once I've uploaded the attached bin, I got sound and picture, but I wasn't able to update the BIOS via USB, had to install windows for that. Now the laptop is working as it should.

PS: The attached file was found in a very suspitios parts of the internet.
            Attached Files

Comment

Just FYI - the attachement above fixed also my board. Thank you!

Comment

If anyone is still on this thread. Is your bios chip winbond 74M25JWEIQ? I am trying to read it with AsProgrammer 2.1.0.13 and i get the message below
                Connecting Error CH341(Not found)
                IC not responding
                I also notice that i order an CH341A and on the chip is marked the CH341B, is this an issue?
                Last question, in the AsProgrammer you detect your chip or you first select IC > SPI > Winbond > XXX model, I don't know what to select because nothing match bios code, any ideas?

Comment

Hi All,

I bought this laptop and don't have supervisor bios password 🙄

I have stripped it down but am unable to distinguish which chip/eeprom is the bios one!….added pictures so any pointers are very much appreciated 🤙

Comment

Working...
                  X